The Supreme Court has yet to render decisions on gay marriage, affirmative action or the Voting Rights Act. But a number of critical decisions have come down, some good, some bad. I’ve been sitting on post on criminal rights for a few days; I’ll hopefully crank it out over the weekend. But I did want to comment on Agency for International Development v. Alliance for Open Society International, Inc., which was handed down yesterday.… Read more
Tag Archive: Social Issues
In Josephine County, Oregon, a woman was recently raped by her ex-boyfriend while she was on the phone to 911, begging for help which never came. I’ll forgo the usual “this is why we have the second amendment” point to concentrate on something a little different.
Those of you who went to college in the 90′s might remember Antioch College’s bizarre sexual assault policy. Conceived by campus activists on a late-night political correctness bender, this policy stated that verbal consent was required for any and all sexual activity. Interpreted strictly, this meant that if you did not ask your girlfriend of four years if it was OK to take off her bra, you were potentially guilty of sexual assault and … Read more
Fire Insurance Is Worthless!
After all, there’s no evidence that it prevents fires.
But strange to say (as Mark Thoma points out in correspondence), people seem to think it’s a good idea anyway.
I leave the relevance of this thought
Last week, Senator Rob Portman announced that he now supports gay marriage. He said the impetus for this was when his son came out to him. According to him, it opened his eyes on the issue and he now believes that gays should have full marital rights. Portman has been criticized a bit from the Right but also from the Left. One of Sullivan’s readers claims that his switch shows a lack of empathy because … Read more
People, you can’t make this shit up:
Reports on Monday that someone was walking around the campus of Oberlin College in Ku Klux Klan regalia — for which the Ohio liberal arts college cancelled an entire day’s classes — may have been a huge misunderstanding. That’s the sense one gets from reading a comprehensive report published on Tuesday morning by the local paper, the Chronicle-Telegram, which traced the early-morning sighting to someone wearing a
Last week, the Administration lifted the ban on women in combat. Of course, in modern warfare, there really aren’t a lot of non-combat roles. Despite the ban, 150 women have been killed in Iraq and Afghanistan and 800 wounded while performing “non-combat” duties. Indeed, part of the pressure for this change was so that women who have already been in combat would get the appropriate benefits and pay.
But that’s a little different from having … Read more
- Decline of Western Civilization,
- Evil Capitalists,
- Left Wing Idiocy,
- Nanny State,
- The Economy,
- Things are worse than they seem
December 12, 2012 9:37 am
In what to me can only be seen as a hilarious “actions have consequences, you dumb ass collectivist twit” moment of truth, you have the always-ready-to-surrender French government with their panties all in a wad because after they jacked tax rates on the rich to ridiculously punitive levels, the rich sheeple they where hoping to fleece, are packing up and moving elsewhere.
Jean-Marc Ayrault’s outburst came after France’s best-known actor, Gerard Dépardieu, took up
Yeah, I’m a music critic now. What about it?
During the freestyle rapping, there was increased activity in an area of the brain that is responsible for motivation of thought and action (called the medial prefrontal cortex). At the same time, there was decreased activity in brain regions that normally play a supervisory or monitoring role (dorsolateral prefrontal regions).
The study went on to note that the wave patterns of rappers’ brains during nightclub shootings, … Read more
Ross Douthat has a great article up on the gender gap. After discussing Obama’s bizarre and paternalistic appeals to women (the Life of Julia bullshit, the first time video I posted below) and his attempt to make abortion the key issue of the election (e.g., the “War on Women”), Douthat notes:
The gap between men and women on issues like abortion is overstated, and the female preference for Democrats predates Roe v. Wade. In a
Users: - 1 Guest
Current AuthorsAlexInCT (821), CzarChasm (17), Hal_10000 (1032), JimK (28), Rann (7), richtaylor365 (515), Thrill (92)
- Hal_10000 on You look guilty to me…
Good cops way too often close ranks with bad cops. Too much pressure from the brotherhood to not do that...
- Xetrov on Mercy in the Drug War
Pardons are his domain. It would actually be more akin to a future president pardoning people with long term prison...
- richtaylor365 on You look guilty to me…
Here ya go,Ed; < b l o c k q u o t e >< / b l o c k...
- richtaylor365 on Mercy in the Drug War
No one that I know of (not me or McCarthy) is criticizing these pardons or saying he does not have...
- Hal_10000 on Mercy in the Drug War
It is not his job to rewrite the law. For someone with as much Constitutional law experience, he just can’t...
- Ed Kline on You look guilty to me…
And if anyone can tell me how to quote correctly, I'd appreciate it.
- Ed Kline on You look guilty to me…
"And my personal experience (having known several hundred over the years) is just the opposite. Sure, there are bad apples,...
- Ed Kline on Mercy in the Drug War
I can just see a new president coming in, talking a page out of the Obama playbook with ,” You...
- Ed Kline on Mercy in the Drug War
"All Obama is doing is applying this retroactively to people who Congress has basically admitted shouldn’t have gotten such hefty...
- Seattle Outcast on Mercy in the Drug War
So, what's going to happen to all those people in prison on drug possession charges when it all get legalized?
- Mercy in the Drug War If the DOJ is to be believed, the President, who has so far granted the fewest Presidential pardons since John Adams, may grant clemency to...
- You look guilty to me... As the state becomes more authoritarian and the police more militaristic, revelations like this one from our overlords sure puts things into perspective:
The backstory is...
- A Real Earth Day Ah, Earth Day. Usually, I use this space to mock the do-nothing feel-goodism that constitutes the bulk of the environmentalist movement. I'll point...
- This is the sort of change he promised While I am less bothered to see this phenomenon is happening in the People's Republic of California, a deep blue state, and one of the...
- At Least He's Honest About It Building on Alex's post on income inequality, I note that Mathew Yglesias published this over at Vox. Yglesis advocates for raising the top marginal...
- Hal_10000 Good cops way too often close ranks with bad cops. Too much pressure from the brotherhood to not do that combined with the knowledge that...
- Xetrov Pardons are his domain. It would actually be more akin to a future president pardoning people with long term prison sentences ( think Chicago, and...
- richtaylor365 Here ya go,Ed;
< b l o c k q u o t e >< / b l o c k q u o t e...
- richtaylor365 No one that I know of (not me or McCarthy) is criticizing these pardons or saying he does not have the power to pardon, obviously...
- Hal_10000 It is not his job to rewrite the law. For someone with as much Constitutional law experience, he just can’t figure out that whole separation...
- Asymmetric Arrogance Over at Ezra Klein's new venture, there is a fascinating piece about how politics make us stupid. Klein details experiments that show that both...
- McCutcheon Did you know that our Republic ended last week? It's true, at least if you believe the left wing:
In a sharply divided ruling Wednesday,...
- The Bundy Ranch I've been trying to catch up on the saga of Cliven Bundy and his ranch out in Nevada that just resulted in a government standoff....
- Eich Out A few days ago, OKCupid's website tried to persuade people to stop using Firefox. Contrary to reports, the site did not "block" Firefox. If...
- Sebelius v. Hobby Lobby The Supreme Court heard oral arguments yesterday in the case of Sebelius v. Hobby Lobby. This case concerns whether the federal government can force an...
Most liked posts
- Ace of Spades HQ
- Cafe Hayek
- Hot Air
- John Cox Art
- Neal Boortz
- Oleg Volk
- Professor Bainbridge
- Right Wing News
- Say Uncle
- Ta-Nehisi Coates
- The Agitator
- The Daily Caller
- The Honest Courtesan
- The Powers That Be
- The Smallest Minority
- The Volokh Conspiracy
- Transterrestrial Musings