The Supreme Court has yet to render decisions on gay marriage, affirmative action or the Voting Rights Act. But a number of critical decisions have come down, some good, some bad. I’ve been sitting on post on criminal rights for a few days; I’ll hopefully crank it out over the weekend. But I did want to comment on Agency for International Development v. Alliance for Open Society International, Inc., which was handed down yesterday.… Read more
Tag Archive: Social Issues
In Josephine County, Oregon, a woman was recently raped by her ex-boyfriend while she was on the phone to 911, begging for help which never came. I’ll forgo the usual “this is why we have the second amendment” point to concentrate on something a little different.
Those of you who went to college in the 90′s might remember Antioch College’s bizarre sexual assault policy. Conceived by campus activists on a late-night political correctness bender, this policy stated that verbal consent was required for any and all sexual activity. Interpreted strictly, this meant that if you did not ask your girlfriend of four years if it was OK to take off her bra, you were potentially guilty of sexual assault and … Read more
Fire Insurance Is Worthless!
After all, there’s no evidence that it prevents fires.
But strange to say (as Mark Thoma points out in correspondence), people seem to think it’s a good idea anyway.
I leave the relevance of this thought
Last week, Senator Rob Portman announced that he now supports gay marriage. He said the impetus for this was when his son came out to him. According to him, it opened his eyes on the issue and he now believes that gays should have full marital rights. Portman has been criticized a bit from the Right but also from the Left. One of Sullivan’s readers claims that his switch shows a lack of empathy because … Read more
People, you can’t make this shit up:
Reports on Monday that someone was walking around the campus of Oberlin College in Ku Klux Klan regalia — for which the Ohio liberal arts college cancelled an entire day’s classes — may have been a huge misunderstanding. That’s the sense one gets from reading a comprehensive report published on Tuesday morning by the local paper, the Chronicle-Telegram, which traced the early-morning sighting to someone wearing a
Last week, the Administration lifted the ban on women in combat. Of course, in modern warfare, there really aren’t a lot of non-combat roles. Despite the ban, 150 women have been killed in Iraq and Afghanistan and 800 wounded while performing “non-combat” duties. Indeed, part of the pressure for this change was so that women who have already been in combat would get the appropriate benefits and pay.
But that’s a little different from having … Read more
- Decline of Western Civilization,
- Evil Capitalists,
- Left Wing Idiocy,
- Nanny State,
- The Economy,
- Things are worse than they seem
December 12, 2012 9:37 am
In what to me can only be seen as a hilarious “actions have consequences, you dumb ass collectivist twit” moment of truth, you have the always-ready-to-surrender French government with their panties all in a wad because after they jacked tax rates on the rich to ridiculously punitive levels, the rich sheeple they where hoping to fleece, are packing up and moving elsewhere.
Jean-Marc Ayrault’s outburst came after France’s best-known actor, Gerard Dépardieu, took up
Yeah, I’m a music critic now. What about it?
During the freestyle rapping, there was increased activity in an area of the brain that is responsible for motivation of thought and action (called the medial prefrontal cortex). At the same time, there was decreased activity in brain regions that normally play a supervisory or monitoring role (dorsolateral prefrontal regions).
The study went on to note that the wave patterns of rappers’ brains during nightclub shootings, … Read more
Ross Douthat has a great article up on the gender gap. After discussing Obama’s bizarre and paternalistic appeals to women (the Life of Julia bullshit, the first time video I posted below) and his attempt to make abortion the key issue of the election (e.g., the “War on Women”), Douthat notes:
The gap between men and women on issues like abortion is overstated, and the female preference for Democrats predates Roe v. Wade. In a
Users: - 1 Guest
Current AuthorsAlexInCT (815), CzarChasm (17), Hal_10000 (1028), JimK (28), Rann (7), richtaylor365 (515), Thrill (92)
- Seattle Outcast on Asymmetric Arrogance
I'll take exception to the thought that these debt can't ever be repaid - there is a time tested method...
- Xetrov on Asymmetric Arrogance
Obama trying to get the Stimulus passed - Millions more Americans will lose their jobs. Homes will be lost. Families...
- Iconoclast on Asymmetric Arrogance
You cannot be serious in suggesting that you believed that the graph showing what might happen was 'fact'. Come on...
- AlexInCT on Asymmetric Arrogance
Thanks for all the Friedman stuff. I went to the link and read the whole thing. I don’t see anything...
- AlexInCT on When I say this model is unsustainable..
Uhh you realize that there are people on both lists, right? eg: Households with full time workers who also have...
- Seattle Outcast on When I say this model is unsustainable..
Did they supply any Venn diagrams?
- CM on Asymmetric Arrogance
Thanks for all the Friedman stuff. I went to the link and read the whole thing. I don't see anything...
- hist_ed on When I say this model is unsustainable..
Uhh you realize that there are people on both lists, right? eg: Households with full time workers who also...
- Seattle Outcast on When I say this model is unsustainable..
A more appropriate ratio should start at around 99:1 and then progress to even a smaller percentage of government employees...
- CM on Shifting the Numbers
I know, you come from the mentality that you are owed because you were born Discussion over already then. Well done...
- And Now a Susanna Martinez Nontroversy Boy, the Democrats are scared that they're going to lose power. We've been monitoring their progress toward insanity for some time -- the Koch...
- When I say this model is unsustainable.. It is because of facts like the following:
Buried deep on the website of the U.S. Census Bureau is a number every American citizen, and especially...
- Shifting the Numbers We've gotten used to the numbers game this Administration plays with Obamacare. It was going to ensure thirty million. No twenty million. ...
- More selective law enforcement One of the things that the DOJ gets to do is approve which companies get to merge or not. The other day I wrote about...
- Criminals protected by progressive ideology As the IRS scandal is approaching a year of being ignored, with the LSM and the left pretending there was nothing despicably immoral and "pound...
- Seattle Outcast I'll take exception to the thought that these debt can't ever be repaid - there is a time tested method for getting a government out...
- Xetrov Obama trying to get the Stimulus passed -
Millions more Americans will lose their jobs. Homes will be lost. Families will go without health care....
- Iconoclast You cannot be serious in suggesting that you believed that the graph showing what might happen was 'fact'. Come on now, that's just silliness.
- AlexInCT Thanks for all the Friedman stuff. I went to the link and read the whole thing. I don’t see anything in there that explains how...
- AlexInCT Uhh you realize that there are people on both lists, right? eg: Households with full time workers who also have people on SSI.
I do, but...
- Color me unsurprised! In the vein that reality always trump liberal illusions and fantasies about how things work in the real world, we get an article where a...
- Asymmetric Arrogance Over at Ezra Klein's new venture, there is a fascinating piece about how politics make us stupid. Klein details experiments that show that both...
- McCutcheon Did you know that our Republic ended last week? It's true, at least if you believe the left wing:
In a sharply divided ruling Wednesday,...
- The Bundy Ranch I've been trying to catch up on the saga of Cliven Bundy and his ranch out in Nevada that just resulted in a government standoff....
- Eich Out A few days ago, OKCupid's website tried to persuade people to stop using Firefox. Contrary to reports, the site did not "block" Firefox. If...
Most liked posts
- Ace of Spades HQ
- Cafe Hayek
- Hot Air
- John Cox Art
- Neal Boortz
- Oleg Volk
- Professor Bainbridge
- Right Wing News
- Say Uncle
- Ta-Nehisi Coates
- The Agitator
- The Daily Caller
- The Honest Courtesan
- The Powers That Be
- The Smallest Minority
- The Volokh Conspiracy
- Transterrestrial Musings