Over the last few weeks, a number of prominent Republicans have come out in favor of making the birth control pill available over the counter. This action has the support of the American Society of Obstetric and Gynecology. It would almost certainly bring prices down and obviate the need for women to make an expensive visit to the OB/Gyn to get birth control. It wouldn’t end the Culture War, but it would turn down the … Read more
Tag Archive: Social Issues
So I’m off to the Land of the Big Sky tomorrow, heading out to Montana to visit some relatives. I will also be spending some time seeing Yellowstone and other national treasures before Obama leaves us all completely skint. That means I’ll go mostly dark for the next ten days: few if any posts or tweets. What little time I have for computers is going to be spent writing.
The one topic I did not … Read more
So I’ve had a few days to digest the Hobby Lobby decision and wanted to put up some further thoughts.
First, a lot of Leftists are claiming that this decision “proves” that we need single payer to make all these issues go away. Of course, the Left saw yesterday’s World Cup game as proof we need single payer. But the argument from the Hobby Lobby case is so poor that even Ezra Klein sees right … Read more
This weekend, a couple of anti-government nuts engaged in a murderous act of domestic terrorism, killing two cops and one civilian who attempted to stop them with his own weapon. They claimed the revolution had begun before killing themselves.
As is usual in these cases, the far Left is almost gleeful as they dig through the extremist politics of the killers. They are touting this as indicative of a huge surge in right-wing anti-government … Read more
The dam has broken. No matter what our opinions might be of it, gay marriage is becoming a fact of life. On the heels of recent decisions by either judges or legislatures in Hawaii, Oklahoma, Nevada, Kentucky, Virginia, Texas, Illinois, Michigan, Arkansas, Idaho and Oregon, a judge in Pennsylvania today struck down Pennsylvania’s ban on same-sex marriage. That’s the fourth court victory for gay marriage advocates just this month. And this one, complete with a … Read more
Seattle is about to raise its minimum wage to a staggering $15 per hour. The deal is being touted as a cooperation between labor and business. However, that deal was basically extorted by the local government:
… Read more
With his Income Inequality Committee failing to reach a decision at its final scheduled meeting April 23, and business and labor representatives still at odds over core issues on a deal for a $15 minimum wage, Seattle Mayor Ed
A few days ago, OKCupid’s website tried to persuade people to stop using Firefox. Contrary to reports, the site did not “block” Firefox. If you browsed there, you got a message saying they did not want people to use Firefox because Firefox’s CEO — Brendan Eich — had given $1000 to the Proposition 8 campaign. But you could still click through. Today, he resigned under intense pressure.
You guys know that I support gay marriage … Read more
Last week, the Kansas House passed a bill that would basically provide legal protection for religion-based anti-gay discrimination.
… Read more
On Wednesday, the Kansas House passed HB 2453, which offers legal protection to individuals and businesses that refuse service for same-sex couples, specifically those looking to get married. Under the bill’s language, individuals, businesses and government employees would be immune from legal reprisal for refusing service if they have “sincerely held religious beliefs” opposing customers’ orientation. HB
Rumors are that the President’s
taxpayer-funded political speech State of the Union Address will focus on rising income and wealth inequality in the United States. As with almost everything this Administration does, I think this is misguided.
First, at least part of the problem of inequality is social. Poor people are much more likely to get divorced, much more likely to have children out of wedlock, much more likely to drop out of high school, … Read more
This remark is drawing some attention:
… Read more
Republican Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas on Friday criticized President Barack Obama for not arresting people in Colorado who violated federal law by using marijuana.
“A whole lot of folks now are talking about legalizing pot. The brownies you had this morning, provided by the state of Colorado,” he jokingly said during his keynote speech at Texas Public Policy Foundation’s Policy Orientation.
“And you can make arguments on that
Current AuthorsAlexInCT (903), CzarChasm (17), Hal_10000 (1112), JimK (28), Rann (7), richtaylor365 (561), Thrill (93)
- Technomad on Whiplash!
Part of the problem was lackluster Republican opposition---both times, up against the Kwizatch Haderach (a Dune reference, for those not...
- AlexInCT on By request: Obama destroys US – Collectivists compare Boosh to Hitler
Xetov, if it was not for double standards the left wouldn't have any....
- Xetrov on By request: Obama destroys US – Collectivists compare Boosh to Hitler
Interesting Statistic in regards to Bush v. Obama: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/rich-noyes/2014/09/08/mrc-study-tv-buries-bad-news-obamas-collapsing-polls Just last Thursday, for example, Gallup found Obama’s approval rating at a record...
- AlexInCT on A Whole New War
This has nothing to do with “sympathy” and everything to do with sending messages to one’s enemy, namely, ISIS sending...
- Iconoclast on A Whole New War
On the rare occasion that I begin to feel our civilization may be a superior moral accomplishment... "Rare occasion"? This...
- Seattle Outcast on Whiplash!
As the old saying goes, "You get the government you deserve." That's pretty harsh, but hey, he was elected with only...
- Seattle Outcast on NYT admission that democrats are anti-second amendment thugs
I'm building an "assault rifle" in my home right now! It's getting everything except a barrel shroud and a...
- AlexInCT on A Whole New War
I would be more interested to find out whom is giving ISIS/ISIL their marching orders. Remember how desperate the Obama...
- InsipiD on NYT admission that democrats are anti-second amendment thugs
It's crystal clear that libs only hang on to this issue to please their base. Also, it antagonizes their...
- Hal_10000 on NYT admission that democrats are anti-second amendment thugs
This has been obvious for twenty years. Assault weapons have always been a tiny part of gun violence. They focused...
- Canadian bacon, pineapple, extra cheese, and your balls - to go. Forget some fast food douchebag spitting in your food: Piss them off, and have them rub their junk on your pie:
SEPTEMBER 16---Angered that a customer...
- Whiplash! It is one thing to be the perennial opposition, criticizing your political betters at every point, whether based on real or made up grievances, and...
- Faux Scandal 122345! As the IRS scandal - which involves activity that goes over and beyond anything that led to another president's resignation - heads towards day 500...
- NYT admission that democrats are anti-second amendment thugs The NYT OpEd page carries an article by Lois Becket which all but admits that democrats manufactured the term assault weapon because they hate armed...
- By request: Obama destroys US - Collectivists compare Boosh to Hitler While Obama and the band of thieves collectively referred to as the democratic party are destroying the country at a harrowing pace - and have...
- Technomad Part of the problem was lackluster Republican opposition---both times, up against the Kwizatch Haderach (a Dune reference, for those not familiar) they couldn't think of...
- AlexInCT Xetov, if it was not for double standards the left wouldn't have any....
- Xetrov Interesting Statistic in regards to Bush v. Obama:
Just last Thursday, for example, Gallup found Obama’s approval rating at a record low of 38 percent, yet...
- AlexInCT This has nothing to do with “sympathy” and everything to do with sending messages to one’s enemy, namely, ISIS sending a message to its enemy,...
- Iconoclast On the rare occasion that I begin to feel our civilization may be a superior moral accomplishment...
"Rare occasion"? This begs the question of how...
- Clinton Life I must admit, I always had a soft spot for Chelsea Clinton. Not that I liked her or anything but that I felt bad for...
- Foley Beheaded, Others May Follow Yesterday, ISIS released a video showing them cutting journalist James Foley's head off. I have not watched the video nor do I intend to....
- A Whole New War So last night, Barack Obama finally unveiled his strategy for dealing with ISIS (you may remember them; he was joking about them earlier this year)....
- Toward a European War Over the last week, Russia has been slowly dropping the pretense and invading the Ukraine with active troops, tanks and artillery pieces. Many of...
- Who'll Start the Rain? California is in the grips of a very bad drought? How bad? This bad:
The current drought in California is not only the worst...
Most liked posts
- Ace of Spades HQ
- Cafe Hayek
- Hot Air
- John Cox Art
- Neal Boortz
- Oleg Volk
- Professor Bainbridge
- Right Wing News
- Say Uncle
- Ta-Nehisi Coates
- The Agitator
- The Daily Caller
- The Honest Courtesan
- The Powers That Be
- The Smallest Minority
- The Volokh Conspiracy
- Transterrestrial Musings