Just a quick thought while I’m in between hops on grant proposals:
It was revealed this week that Facebook has been quietly curating their news feeds to have a more liberal slant. John Thune is now demanding answers from Facebook on the subject.
Let me be brief.
- This does not appear to be any official corporate policy. Facebook relies on employees to curate the news and those employees tend to be young and liberal.
- Facebook is a private company. They can do whatever the hell they want. I’m disappointed that they’re doing this but unsurprised.
- If you’re relying on Facebook to tell you what’s going on the world, you deserve what you get. It’s a social media platform, not the New York Times.
- Thune needs to shut the hell up. This is none of the government’s God damned business.
- This is yet another piece of evidence that conservatives aren’t the only ones living in an “echo chamber”. In fact, I would argue that the liberal echo chamber is much tighter than the conservative one. The Daily Show is liberal. Vox is liberal. HuffPo is liberal. Our college campuses are not just liberal, but radically liberal. Twitter and Facebook tend to be liberal. If your consumption of news is confined to that and Daily Kos, you’re not exactly exposing yourself to intellectual challenges.
Ultimately, I don’t really care. I go to Facebook to see baby pictures and make jokes about my inadequacies. I don’t go there to find out how the Obama Administration screwed up today.