This is probably why so many of you can’t get a job

I have become convinced that college no longer is an investment worth making for most people. The simple truth is that not every degree is created equally, and it is more than what college the degree comes from. While many people are impressed when someone tells them that they have an Ivy League degree, I have to admit that I often have the opposite reaction. I have dealt with too many Ivy leaguers that were full of themselves, thinking they knew it all, and knew it better, but were seriously deficient skill wise. And maybe I am biased, based on my own academic path, but I have often found that practically all people with degrees outside economics, medicine, the hard science fields, engineering, and law – although not of late – had been given a raw deal: they paid far more than they got for that money. Plopping down anywhere from $100K to $200K, for a college degree that leaves you woefully unprepared for the employment world, and compounds the pain by also leaving you with a head full of bullshit liberal claptrap, is definitely a big mistake.

The problem, as I see it is this notion that kids get told going to college is enough to guarantee them more success. Things don’t work that way. What you study, and more importantly, what you choose to learn in that field of study, and its application in the employment world is critical. Especially when you factor in the cost. Sure, if mommy and daddy are willing to blow $200k for their snowflake to attend an Ivy League school and major in junk like “Womyn Studies”, that’s their choice. But when your parents, or worse, you yourself, have to carry a loan debt that equals a mortgage to pay for the same kind worthless experience, you might as well find a tall building to throw yourself off of. Don’t be surprised when you can’t find any employment other than flipping burgers or ringing out people at the cash register. Sure you can argue that it is just my opinion, but those “skills” you paid so much for are worthless to any employer in the real world.

So when I read an article like this one, I can’t help but feel vindicated. If your college experience is to party hard and avoid any and all serious work, don’t feel slighted when employers shun you like they would a crack addict. College is the only massive investment people seem to be willing to make where so many work so hard to avoid trying getting the most for their money. Heck, I am not saying it needs to be hell and you can’t have any fun, but shit, how hard is it to figure out that if the only things you come out having learned after that investment of time and money is how to avoid work, how to party, and a massive case of douchebag progressive entitlement and ideology, that no employer running a decent business will really see any value in you? About the only thing you are qualified for are minimum skill and wage jobs and government employment.

We need to stop lying to kids about college. Not all degrees are equal. And your employment opportunities are directly tied to how hard you work to learn skills valuable to a potential employer. Pursuing what you love when what you love has no real world value to employers, is a recipe for disaster. Now if we could only reform the K-12 system to actually teach valuable skills instead of the indoctrination that passes for an education these days.

People are still basing “getting a college education” on a model that was rapidly going away at least 40 or 50 years ago.

Toss in lots of government money that had to be absorbed, and it quickly became a way to waste a lot of money on a degree in something nobody has any use for.

2. Miguelito says:

Be careful with those “womyn’s studies” comments, or people like this will get all up in a tizzy. I love his response to a comment:

As a professor at a liberal arts university, I have heard variants of that damned stupid fucking “joke” ten thousand times, and every time it makes me want to smash a beer bottle and cut the asshole repeating it. It’s an implicit evil that presumes that the purpose of an education is to prepare people for the corporate workforce.

Don’t do it again.

Methinks someone touched a nerve.

BTW, after hearing about CVS deciding to stop selling tobacco products and reading comments from the CEO like this:

We came to the decision that cigarettes and providing health care just don’t go together in the same setting.

Does anyone else get a feeling that maybe, just maybe, there was either some slight pressure, or perhaps a “leak” that new regulations tied to Obamacare might essentially make it so that any place selling such products couldn’t be used as a covered pharmacy?

Methinks someone touched a nerve.

I actually had an experience like that one once at a gathering where some liberal arts associate (wasn’t a prof) actually got in a hissy fit when I told him a liberal arts education these days was tantamount to highway robbery, considering the value for the cost. He was very angry, but not dumb enough to try and get violent. Lucky for him he had been paying attention to the discussion I was having with someone else earlier in the evening about martial arts and boxing, and he was at least sober and/or intelligent enough to realize he was not going to like what happened to him if he did something as stupid as try to “break a bottle and try to cut me with it”. In general this academic type is very big on the macho talk and total pussies when it comes to doing anything about it.

But the question begs to be asked: if a liberal arts education is not to prepare one to join the corporate workforce and make a decent living, then should colleges make sure students paying so much money for one know they are getting short changed, if not outright robbed? Because WTF is a college education for people that do not want to join the cloistered academic world if not to increase one’s opportunity to earn? These people can’t be parodied and deserve nothing but ridicule.

I would go with that, or the guy has some insider scoop that Obama, whom has promised to legislate from the WH, plans to create that mandate whole cloth in order to save face.

4. ilovecress says:

This is the most stereotypical internet comment I have ever seen. :-)

After having a few of these idiots as high school teachers, where the system is stacked against you if you actually lay their ass out when their mouth starts cashing checks their ass can’t cover, I like to get in their face when they they start frothing. They are bullies – and I despise them.

They ALWAYS back down. That’s the time to start insulting them and asking “WHAT?” when they start mumbling. If they don’t lose it, you can jeer at them as they leave the place angrily muttering about “neanderthals”.

6. Dave D says:

“neanderthals”

I always knew you had a prominent frontal ridge and excess hair, SO! jk!!!!! jk!!!!!!!