Christie Hits A Scandal

Ok, let’s review what we’ve learned over the last five years about political scandals.

When Obama’s attorney general was part of a program that lost track of guns it was walking into Mexico and people were killed with those guns, we were told this was not a scandal.

When an embassy in a hotbed of terrorist activity was poorly guarded and the subsequent attack killed four people and the President’s UN Ambassador falsely claimed it was because of a protest against a video, we were told this was not a scandal.

When the President rewrote his Obamacare law 16 times, this was not as scandal.

When the IRS targeted his political enemies, this was not a scandal.

When Obama spied on the AP and Fox News, this was a not a scandal.

When the NSA violated the law and ignored court orders, this was not a scandal.

When Obama started a war in Libya on his own, this was not a scandal.

When Clapper and Holder lied to Congress, this was not a scandal.

The Pigford and GSA scandals were scandals, but we were told they had nothing to do with Obama.

You know what would really have been a scandal? If Obama closed some traffic lanes:

The mystery of who closed two lanes onto the George Washington Bridge — turning the borough of Fort Lee, N.J., into a parking lot for four days in September — exploded into a full-bore political scandal for Gov. Chris Christie on Wednesday. Emails and texts revealed that a top aide had ordered the closings to punish the town’s mayor after he did not endorse the governor for re-election.

“Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee,” Bridget Anne Kelly, a deputy chief of staff to Mr. Christie, emailed David Wildstein, a high school friend of the governor who worked at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which runs the bridge.

Later text messages mocked concerns that school buses filled with students were stuck in gridlock: “They are the children of Buono voters,” Mr. Wildstein wrote, referring to Mr. Christie’s opponent Barbara Buono.

Now granted those e-mails may have been reveling in an inconvenience rather than ordering one. And granted they were on private, not official e-mails accounts. And granted Christie has denied involvement. But … come on! The man blocked traffic lanes! That’s like a million Bengahzis! The Left wing is all aflutter, proclaiming Christie’s 2016 campaign — which doesn’t actually exist — dead.

I don’t mean to make light of this. If Christie did indeed inconvenience tens of thousands of people as a political retaliation, that is definitely wrong and should have an impact on his political future. The staffer who organized it should be fired and the people of Fort Lee deserve an apology, at minimum.

But … Come. The. Fuck On. The Left Wing has no credibility on this, none whatsoever. They have spent the last five years reflexively defending anything and everything their beloved President does. They have said that even investigating these things is a partisan witchhunt. They mocked the Benghazi hearings as bullshit. Now, all of the sudden, a four-day traffic jam should be the end of someone’s political career?

Look at what I did two paragraphs ago. I looked at an allegation against a politician I like and said it should be investigated and, if he turns out to have been involved, he should be punished. That’s because I don’t see the Republican Party as my tribe of Chris Christie as a tin god. I wish the same could be said about those who are currently dancing in the streets over this while ignoring everything done by … the most powerful politician in the world.

1. InsipiD says:

They’d probably find a law that Christie broke by getting up in the morning, but Democrats’ infractions barely qualify as a “mistake,” much less a scandal.

You are not saying that there is a despicable double standard, and that the LSM is a bunch of DNC shills, always ready and willing to lie & cover up for the corrupt and evil left, now Hal? Because that would all just be crazy!

As I pointed out and will again: Nixon was fucking run out of office for much less than the left has told us are Obama’s non-scandals. That the left still has the gall to pretend Nixon did wrong when they excuse Obama and his fellowships’ cascade of law breaking, is telling.

Get used to this shit. It’s all battlefield preparations for the 2014 and 2016 elections, and the LSM is doing its part for its bosses: the DNC.

But we can keep pretending that the problem isn’t with the corrupt left and the banana republic they have been running for the last 5 years.

It’s always good to have the press on your side. Also you have to give the left credit they did a great propaganda campaign. If you question them you’re a racist, hateful, ignorant, inbred, religious (Christian) fanatic, and as far as they’re concerned, standards simply just don’t apply to them regardless of how vile an action may be. As long as people are going to buy in to that we’ll get the country we deserve which is a far cry from the what our framers had envisioned and what we’ve based our culture on.

Oh yeah, and as far as Christie, I see another Schwarzenegger or Bloomberg on they way with that guy so if he doesn’t run in 2016 I won’t be all that upset.

5. Xetrov says:

I borrowed the opening list, Hal. Very well put. The media is awesome.

Block a few lanes of traffic, and the the left will demand a federal probe. Sick the IRS and the DOJ on your political opponents, and you get to put a cronie in charge of that investigation, because that shit is just a faux scandal.

This stuff is priceless….

Also you have to give the left credit they did a great propaganda campaign.

Generically that seems to be what the left is best at: propaganda and campaigning. They suck at any other real world application unless it is criminal in nature.

Back in the day when I taught one-day computer software classes I had a boss that would always tell us perception is more important than reality. I thought she was full of shit and that ignoring reality would come back to bite you in the ass. She was right though, you could indeed get good reviews bullshitting your way though. I did see one instructor who make crap up all the time and would wiggle his way out of questions and got great scores even though he was basically robbing the class of their time and money. I still think reality comes back to bite and maybe she did too, but she was smart enough to know that by then it’s too late and if you’re really good just come up with a new line of bullshit and start over. One-day classes, buying a car, politics, it doesn’t matter it’s all the same:.In the short run at least, perception is way more important than reality. From an ethics side I think it’s disgusting, but from a getting your way side it’s the way to go.

Section8, you basically described used car salesmen and the last 2 democrat presidents we have had….

10. TxAg94 says:

In the perverse and backwards bizarro world of the left, it’s a scandal unless someone died. Then it becomes a non-issue.

11. salinger says:

What was the motivation for these “rogue elements” if they were going to keep everything secret from the big guy?
    Still doesn’t smell quite right.
    Did he also fire the person in charge of telling him when to end a press conference?
    The guy’s a bully.
    Seems to be tolerated in NJ – don’t know how well it’ll play nationally.

Seems to be tolerated in NJ – don’t know how well it’ll play nationally.

You might be right there Sally. Then again, NJ is also the place where a past governor stole over $2 billion of other people’s money through some scheme/scam he was [part off, and he got away with it because he was politically connected to the Teflon people….

In general the place is a shithole. Of course, the focus that Christie’s now getting would never happen if he had a (D) next to his name. That (D) seems to go a long way to help people not feel there is anything wrong when you commit real crimes.

13. stogy says:

See, I completely agree with you here. Obama certainly should be impeached and tried if they can find evidence tying him to the any of the scandals you list above, as should Christie, as should George W.

Christie is entitled to an assumption of innocence, as he has claimed that he had no knowledge of it, and he isn’t implicated in the e-mails.

And most of the list you cite above I do remember as scandals, many of which haven’t fully gone away yet.

14. InsipiD says:

Only in court…

Still doesn’t smell quite right.

I agree. I wish the press wouldn’t give up so easily doing their “investigative reporting” in to the federal corruption scandals. Unfortunately it just dies down, the demand for real investigations fades away and you’re right back to where you were.

No one else could have said it better than Hal did in his post so I’ll just repeat it.

16. salinger says:

But when the press itself is on the receiving end of attacks they get a bit more bristly. I think this is where Christie is gonna run into more trouble than others – there are a few scores that are gonna get evened on this one. Shouting at people to shut up and calling them idiots in press conferences paints oneself into a corner.

At least expect “I am not a bully” followed by video examples of him acting like a bully during any race he expects to enter from now on.

Still doesn’t smell quite right.

No doubt, you are used to the aroma of your obfuscating, duplicitous, excuse making messiah, you know the guy who blames everyone else for his f**k ups, then when all else fails and they won’t go away he just reverts back to the beat cop with ,”Move along folks, nothing to see here”.

How refreshing it was for a politician to take responsibility, to own up to short comings on his watch, to not downplay an obvious dereliction, then take action and fire the person that messed up. No wonder your nose is not working right.

Did you bother to watch the press conference? Out of the hundred plus questions he took, maybe 5 of them were on point, the rest were just stupid, stuff like ,”Gee governor, when you heard about this, did you throwing stuff?”. One idiot asked him, “You have come here and told us that you are embarrassed by what happened, how embarrassed are you?”

don’t know how well it’ll play nationally.

It will play just fine. Only blockheads like the NYT (and you) are calling him a bully. Face it, some folks are idiots, some people do not have the sense God gave a flea and remained surfing on the beach when the mother of all hurricanes was approaching. Yes, some people need to be led by the hand and directed to safety, but he had an entire state to worry about, his directness and urgency was logical and reasonable, and will play well with anyone that appreciates such virtues.

Oh, and this is interesting;

How do you explain that?

18. salinger says:

How do you explain that?

Like I said, call reporters idiots and they’re gonna hold a grudge.

And, the buck stops here – I had nothing to do with it, I knew nothing about – this is pretty weak form of taking responsibility. He fired a top aid and had no curiosity as to why she did the thing he fired her for. What he do have her fired by text. If it were me I’d sure as he’ll want to see this person face to face.

Oh yeah, wtf is all the messiah crap? Show me one comment I have EVER said that would put me in that camp. I may be liberal but I’m no Obama apologist.

Like I said, call reporters idiots and they’re gonna hold a grudge.

So Christie calls some reporter{allegedly} an idiot, and this gives the entire news departments at all the major networks license to “hold a grudge”, that seems reasonable to you? You think this might be why the majority of the country sees these pinheads for what they are, a willing accessory and extension of the democratic party, there’s objectivity for ya.

this is pretty weak form of taking responsibility.

What part of ,”Ultimately I am responsible for what happens under my watch” do you not understand? I’ll ask again, did you watch the press conference? I ask because I find it more useful and accurate to watch yourself and not get the results filtered by sound bites from a source with an agenda

How do you know this? Have you been following him around listening to his conversations for the last 36 hours? What a silly thing to say.

Again, why you go there if you don’t know how this was handled?

I’ll admit, I have not read all your comments on this blog, so if the shoe doesn’t fit, I’ll take it back. But most of your comments parrots talking points straight out of the NYT, which are Obama apologists and willing consorts in pushing his agenda. Probably why they lost the moniker of being a legitimate newspaper decades ago.

20. salinger says:

Did YOU watch the press conference? You know, the one where he said he didn’t care why Kelly did what she did, the one where he said he didn’t talk to her? And there is nothing “alleged” about him calling reporters (plural) idiots. It is documented on film, as is his telling a town meeting attendee to fuck off, as is his belittling of the woman who asked him why he sent his kids to private school, and on and on and on.

Maybe he was justified in getting impatient with these folks but he certainly should be better able to control himself in public. Do you need me to put a dozen or two video links of him acting like a bully? Remember he has already been caught falsely accusing people of lying to him in press conferences. I think this thing needs to play out a bit more before I’d be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He has a track record.

You really think this is someone you should be sticking up for or you just pissed that the scandals you are more concerned about haven’t done the damage you believe they should. I mean there aren’t too many of the big wig conservatives on his side nowadays.

Did YOU watch the press conference?

And yet again you can’t answer a simple question, I give up.

the one where he said he didn’t talk to her?

He talked to her plenty. During the press conference (Which I watched btw) he went into great detail bout the conversations he had, with his staff, and how they had one hour to come clean and if there is anything he should know. Once he found out Kelly was lying to him, he fired her, but if you want to speculate about his level of curiosity, have at it.

and on and on and on.

Yes, please post that youtube video where he told a town meeting attendee to “fuck off”, I would like to see that one. And as far as belittling the woman about his kids and their school, nice try. I did see that one, there is no there there. I guess it is all a matter of perspective, you think he is a bully so whatever passion he exhibits will be construed that way but I think you on and on is off and off.

For my own self, I prefer to weigh each scandal on their own merits, not like all those network reporters and all those bridgegate reports, who was after him because they held a grudge (your words) I look at this in it’s own totality, exclusive of whatever else is making the rounds. I am “sticking up for him” because everyone has a presumption of innocence until proven otherwise. He appeared contrite, apologetic and possessed a firm grasp of the seriousness of the events, something Obama has never ever come clean with. And as far as all the Obama scandals, the “damage” is not a concern because he also gets the presumption of innocence and so far he has kept himself above the fray with no damning fingerprints anywhere. My complaints are only that the truth will never come out, on any of them, because the press is not interested and his administration has done a masterful job of noncooperation. That is why we still have answered Benghazi questions, no one held accountable for IRSgate, nobody going to jail for Criminal acts against James Rosen, oh, and guns still running around killing folks in Mexico.

22. salinger says:

What question didn’t I answer? Did I watch his press conrence? Yes, the whole thing live. I figured that was implied by my asking if he fired the person in charge of telling him when to end a press conference. I was not impressed and he still came off as condescending.

Here’s a little montage of Christie’s social skills via the Daily Show. There are a lot more examples out there too, I won’t deluge this thread with them, we all know how to use google.

Name calling and bully tactics, especially with folks with whom you may disagree, seems petty to me. Some might find it “honest and refreshing”, I see it as an indicator of shallowness, intransigence, and uncouthness. Not the best attributes for a public figure in my opinion.

23. InsipiD says:

I agree. Every time that Obama has used the pejorative “tea-bagger” or used his middle finger to scratch his face when speaking about a political opponent, it’s demeaning to the office that he is currently executing so poorly. He’s often making a comment to his beloved press with a sly and knowing smile. Who took the opportunity of a gridlock situation caused by 50% of the population disagreeing with him to declare that he would no longer negotiate with his opponents?

Christie got his staff together and took out the trash. Obama keeps his wagons circled at all times. So who handled it “better” again when bad things happened? Who took advantage of his relationship with the press to sweep things under the rug? Christie addressed the problem of something that he wasn’t directly involved with while Obama simply pretends that there are no political opponents. Christie appears to have a good grasp on what it takes to walk on the national stage.

24. salinger says:

Pretty weak:

There’s your “every time”. I think you would have to admit it has a different tenor to the above Christie disparagements.

Let’s let this bridge thing play out a bit. I hope you guys don’t end up eating your words. There are quite a few folks being emboldened by this little incident and relating more stories of petty political retribution from Trenton. We’ll see.

If it turns out Christie was directly involved in this – can I expect an apology, a “you were right I was wrong”?

Salinger, sorry man but you don’t deserve shit. I can only speak for me, and I’m not even defending Christie but I’ve seen you post a couple of times defending or downplaying what was going on over at the IRS. So back to Hal’s quote.

Maybe it’s time for YOU and others on the left to reflect over the bullshit at the FEDERAL level which potentially effects everyone that you’ve had muted silence to, tolerated, and flat out defended. A fucking road doesn’t even measure to what YOU guys have said we should put up with. You deserve absolutely nothing. You’ve earned nothing.

Hot! Thumb up 10 Thumb down 5

26. salinger says:

Refresh my memory then – because I believe you are mistaken. Just saying something doesn’t make it true.

Oh, and this is interesting;

How do you explain that?

While I believe there is media bias, that comparison is deeply dishonest. He compares the *recent* coverage of a scandal to the downstream coverage of a scandal. The IRS scandal broke eight months ago, so his window is 2 months *after* the scandal broke. I’d bet that if he compares Bridegate coverage to the last eight months of IRS coverage, he would get a very different result.

Again, not saying the bias doesn’t exist, but you’re going to have to demonstrate it with something other than absurdly cherry-picked data. Compare the first week of IRS scandal to the first week of Bridgegate. That will be interesting.

28. InsipiD says:

Now they’re supposedly checking into how Christie spent relief money in the wake of Sandy. If that isn’t political I don’t know what is.

29. Xetrov says:

See…he has an (R) after his name. That makes him a criminal.

Here’s an example with a your backing of a bullshit NYT article.

31. salinger says:

Looks like a whole lot of me getting sick and tired of lame charicticure labeling. Were I in fact list things about Obama that I find distressing to say the least. And where I state that I don’t think any organization, left, right, religious whatever should be tax exempt. But of course none of that matters, just cherry pick a comment take it out of context and go to town.

Boring, and another reason this blog pretty much sucks anymore.

Oh, and calling the article bullshit without refuting the FACTS in it. Well that’s pretty typical around here too.

Did you even read what you linked to?

Did you even read what you linked to?

Of course I did. I even responded in that thread. Here’s a hint on how to find out. It’s in the comments right beneath “Section8″.

Again, it took you all about what 10 seconds to jump on this story, yet muted silence for the most part on anything Obama or that it’s not big deal. So you can get sick and tired, but if the shoe fits.

Now go run along and claim victim and go ride your bike or whatever your standard retort is.

33. salinger says:

You know, I just read through that whole thread you linked to again. And if you can read that and still think I am in the bag for any major party my commenting on anything here is pointless. It’s a total waste of my time. We don’t even speak the same language it seems. I’m sick of it.

Enjoy your echo chamber.

Okay, take care. Enjoy your bike ride or whatever.

35. salinger says:

Finally, the funny thing is – the fact that I am leaving this blog for good – you’ll take it as some sort of victory. Sad.

Pretty much every blog entry could be titled “All Libs Are Tards” and almost every comment could be “They Sure Do Suck Obama’s Cock”.

Ya know, Salinger, for what its worth, I think you represent the progressive side around here reasonably well, you are absolutely Einsteinian compared to that mrblume guy, but when you say ,”We don’t even speak the same language it seems. I’m sick of it”, I know exactly what you mean. To watch that press conference, to see Christie prostrate himself before the public, to personally own up to short comings in his administration, to not pass the buck or make light of or diminish the event, to take swift decisive action in firing the offender, to make the rounds personally to the offended party’s by going to Fort Lee and apologizing to the mayor and the residents there, and to promise complete and full cooperation in any ensuing investigations, to act totally different from any politician we have seen in the last 20 years (and a complete 180 from Obama and his sins of omission), then after all that to hear you say nonsense like ,”It doesn’t smell right”, and ,”He has a track record”, you are right, we don’t speak the same language.

What you saw, I didn’t see, which tells me there is no ability to compromise. So the sooner we get rid of all progressives (taking out the trash so to speak) the sooner we can get the country back on track. You guys are in impediment to anything constructive or useful. It’s time to take the car keys away.

I guess that’s why the saying “The truth hurts” means what it means….

If the comments on this thread trying to pretend this traffic shit nobody but the people that want to take focus of how the fucking left is driving this country into the shitter care about was a real scandal, while the same people have spent all that energy telling us real scandals by the Obama administration are made up (or that we should wait until some partisan investigates and with a serious face tells us that all is well when it is obvious it is not), didn’t prove that the left’s only standard is a double standard, I don’t know what would. But you can keep pretending you have a leg to stand on and the problem is us evil libtard hating types that don’t feel like pretending we need to be civil with people that are scumbags anymore.

39. Xetrov says:

So we now know that President Obama was briefed by the Military just minutes after the Benghazi attack started that it was in fact a terrorist attack – http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/01/13/benghazi-transcripts-top-defense-officials-briefed-obama-on-attack-not-video-or/

Yet for two weeks all we heard about was a stupid video protest that never existed. If Bush had pulled something similar to cover up the death of one of our Ambassadors just to get re-elected in 2004, cries from the left and media demanding impeachment would have been deafening. Hell, as much coverage as Rather-gate got, the left would have demanded Bush go to prison.

40. Xetrov says:

*above should say “cover up the reason for the death of one of our Ambassadors…”

41. Xetrov says:

Dennis Miller –

Trust me, before this is over, Hillary will explain away the lack of reinforcements in Benghazi on traffic on the George Washington Bridge.

42. stogy says:

Just my two cents… I personally am sorry that Sally has said he won’t be back. I always enjoyed reading his comments and I felt he always tried to be constructive. Too bad. I hope he changes his mind.