Hey Mr DJ: Big Damn Holiday Edition

With Christmas behind us, we must pause to remember 2013. And while you do that, I’ll be preparing for my New Year’s Eve tradition of getting wasted and passing out on the couch before midnight. I didn’t say it was a good tradition or anything to be proud of. It just kind of happened back in 2008 and I’ve been doing it ever since just to see if I can. Oh, shut up.

Anyhow, 2013 was a good year for me. The Thrill family is happy and in good health. Work is going great. No complaints. I sincerely hope that you’re all doing so well or at least have a lot to look forward to. If not, feel free to follow me on Twitter on New Year’s Eve as I live-tweet my loss of consciousness*. It won’t make things any better for you in concrete terms, but I might make you laugh or even improve your own sense of self-worth through comparison.

2013 in review! That’s the theme.

1. Best music that came out or that you first heard in 2013.

2. Music as it relates to the big news stories of the year. Obamacare, Syria, mass shootings, Miley, the Boston Marathon Bombing…lots of options.

3. Mood music. Those songs that speak to your sense of how you or the world is doing. As sunny as my personal outlook is, I felt like this year was pure chaos for the US in particular and the world in general. Not to drag down your celebrations, but I have a horrible feeling about 2014.

4. Holiday music. Carols, seasonal hits, laziness.

5. Yep.

InsipiD: You introduced me to this group, as I recall. Beautifully apt title. Lovin’ it.

Santino: A track from the finest album of 2013: Dirty Boys by Bowie.

WVR: Something I just discovered this past month. Out of the Black by Royal Blood

Biggie G: Another band you guys turned me onto this year. Santa Stole My Lady by Fitz and the Tantrums

CM: I love this song and I think I found it after you played another one of theirs from this album this year. It was the first time I was even aware that it had been released. Barriers by The London Suede. A perfect song for memories of what is long gone, in my opinion.

pfluffy!: This came out last year, but I didn’t discover it until a few months ago. I’d love to go to a classy New Year’s Eve Party with this album playing and everyone wearing fancy clothes. But I don’t get invited to those parties, for obvious reasons. Everyone’s Rooting for You by Sondre Lerche

*I’ll probably forget I wrote this later so don’t hold me to it.

1. InsipiD says:

I can’t think of anything new that’s been life changing, but I can show how much I like Archer.

2. thelastdakrat says:

Yes, I am still alive and kicking.  2013 has lived up to the superstition.  It’s been a year of buyouts and layoff, a close relative that continues to destroy himself with drugs (quite literally, the car wreck almost killed him), and a dead grandma in a pear tree.

But that doesn’t mean there haven’t been a few gems to be found this year.  After all, the layoff led me to a much better career opportunity that I would never have thought to chase down otherwise.

So anyway, I thought I’d just poke my head in and say hi.  I don’t visit much anymore, but I still come by every once in a while to seek what’s shaking around here.

So here are my two favorite musical things that happened this year.

Lorde – Royals - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlcIKh6sBtc

James Blunt – Bonfire Heart - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1j1qwQQ8-Q

InsipiD: We obviously share many of the same sensibilities. I got caught up on Archer this year and it’s the weirdest thing. It can be so screwed up and yet so completely genius at the same time. My catch phrase lately has been “Eat grenade, stupids!” and it’s awesome because nobody knows what the hell I’m talking about.

It’s Always Sunny is still my top favorite sitcom. THIS was the greatest thing to happen in 2013, my friend:

I’ve missed you dakrat. Just knowing you’re still out there, getting by the best you can, makes me glad. Hang in there.

4. InsipiD says:

Lol, you’re welcome, Thrill.

Is this post (and others) strictly “members only?” When I access this page at work, never logged in, some posts just don’t show up. It seems that they’re usually the less political and more community type posts that are missing. And while I’m on the subject of RTFLC itself, is there any chance of getting the composing assistance buttons back?

I noticed the same thing yesterday and I’m baffled. I’ll fiddle with the post tags and stuff and see what happens.

I think it’s working now. Only thing I changed was adding a tag.

It shows up on my mobile browser now, which it wasn’t before.

7. West Virginia Rebel says:

Some of the music that caught my attention in 2013:

West Virginia Rebel recently posted..Market MattersMy Profile

8. Biggie G says:

I know there are a lot of Muse fans on here so, you’ll probably make fun of me. I guess this is beginner Muse, but I really like this song.

9. Biggie G says:

I prefer “Holy shitsnacks!” but you have to do it in the Pam voice.

Madness is my young Thrilla’s single favorite song. Great choice!