I’ve been trying to catch up. I was up until 2:30 last night, fell asleep and woke up to the news this morning. Here is what is known:
1) The police identified the two bombers from photos and videos of the marathon. One was identified by the man who had his legs blown off who looked the suspect in the eye after he dropped off the backpack.
2) A shootout erupted late last night between the suspects and the police. One is dead and apparently had explosives on him. The other is at large.
3) As a result, Boston schools are shut down. People are being told to stay in their homes while police and federal agents go house to house.
4) It’s not precisely clear but the shooting of a cop at MIT may have been related.
5) On Twitter, the rumor is that these guys have been in the country for a year and are Chechen. But this information is not confirmed.
Now a few thoughts:
1) From what I can tell, the authorities are doing as good a job as they can keeping this contained. If these guys had guns and explosives on them, they may have been intending a killing spree. Last report I had was at least three cops were hurt, possibly two dead, including the MIT cop. And witnesses describe cops going to into the fray without armor. Boston Strong, my friends.
2) The international/political implications can be worked out over the next few weeks. I’m not giving a shit about that right now. All I care about is that they catch guy #2 and make sure there are not guys #3, 4 or 5 out there.
3) It hardly needs to be said, but my thoughts and prayers are with everyone in the firing line up there. I found out about this last night from a friend on Facebook who was blocks away from the gunfight that erupted. I know — you probably know — many people in the area. Let’s hope they are all safe and unharmed and that justice swiftly finds the remaining killer.