Cut Off In the Land Down Under

I’m in Australia again, visting the in-laws. Unfortunately, our home has no internet at the moment because of a dispute with the telecom (the idiocy of ISP’s is apparently a universal constant). I’m typing this in a mall in Queensland, which means I’m at minimal Tweeting (I have a list cut down to about a dozen of the most essential feeds for this sort of occasion) and have about 800 unread articles in Google Reader, which I will mostly ignore. So, yeah, not much blogging until the telecom gets their head out of their ass.

I won’t be able to watch the SOTU but I will download, read and respond to it. Hopefully, I’ll be back in action by the end of the week. But even then, I’ll probably maintain a low profile since, you know, I’m on vacation.

Hal, I’m waving at you now. Can you see me?
    ;-)

2. ScottE says:

You want to spend your limited available bandwidth on d’loading the SOTU while you are on vacation?

You are a sick man, or I’ve forgotten what it’s like to visit in-laws.

3. Aussiesmurf says:

I was on vacation in Port Douglas in October 2004 with the woman who is now my wife. I annoyed her intensely by insisting on following :

1. The MLB Playoffs (Red Sox fan)
    2. The Australian election campaign / results.
    3. The US election campaign.

Unbelievably that she stayed with me….

4. West Virginia Rebel says:

Dorner may be dead in cabin that went up in flames…developing…

As long as Hal ins Down Under, maybe he can explain what the heck Vegemite is…
    West Virginia Rebel recently posted..Federally Funded Phone FraudMy Profile

5. Aussiesmurf says:

Vegemite is awful…. in taste, maybe closest to Marmite, but don’t try it.

If you want great food that comes from Australia, try either a Tim Tam or a lamington.

I’ve been relaxing nicely. Drinking VB and reading books. But I feel a need to snark and, based on Sullivan’s drooling, I think the SOTU will offer plenty of rancid meat.

7. stogy says:

Vegemite is awful…. in taste, maybe closest to Marmite, but don’t try it.

Vegemite is the food of the Gods! Where I am now it comes in jars that are more expensive than caviar (something to do with a huge sales tax) and is much harder to get
    A light smearing of vegemite on toast, topped over with grated fresh coconut drenched in raw garlic, onion and chilli. A perfect start to anyone’s day.

But stop drinking VB. Australia has a world of fabulous beers on offer and you drink the local version of Bud. Jeez…

Ok, I’m catching up but … are people making a big deal about Rubio drinking a glass of water? Did I miss something? Did he, like, spill it all over himself or pour it over his head or frolick nude in it or something? Because if he just fucking drank a glass of water, the liberals are going crazier fast than I feared.

Vegemite is the food of the Gods!

I second that. It kicks Marmite’s arse.

Isn’t the Rubio-drinking-water thing just the latest ‘internet meme’ going around?
    Even he has joined in.

11. Aussiesmurf says:

As someone who has lived in Australia for 36 of his 37 years, vegemite……sucks. But I second the suckiness of VB. If you want Aussie beer, try any of the following – Boags, Two Dogs, Cascade, Mountain Goat…

And try to watch an Australian Rules match – the pre-season competition starts on Friday 15/2. GO HAWKS!!

I’ve lived in NZ (both Marmite and Vegemite are also ‘institutions’ here) for only 34 of my 38 years, so I guess you got me beat.
    The Marmite factory was badly damaged in the earthquakes so there has been no production for about a year (I don’t care, I far prefer Vegemite). This week they announced that next month it’ll be available again. Inevitably, it made national news. Cringe cringe cringe.

13. Santino says:

And try to watch an Australian Rules match

Being in Canada I don’t get much exposure to Aussie Rules. But from the few matches I’ve seen, I thoroughly enjoy the sport. I certainly enjoy it more than rugby, sorry CM.

No worries there, I’m not a big fan. I only watch the international games these days. Far more into cricket……..;-)