As qoes Venezuela’s nanny state…

Another country run by someone I am sure Obama and so many Team Blue members love, is devaluing their currency because of the bullshit spread the wealth nonsense they have been up to, and the people are once again getting shafted.

Panic buyers thronged Venezuelan shops over the carnival weekend after the government of Hugo Chávez announced a surprise devaluation that analysts said was overdue but would only partly right the listing economy.

Domestic appliances such as fridges and cookers were in particularly high demand as Venezuelans snapped up goods imported at the now defunct exchange rate of 4.3 bolívars per dollar. From now on they will be imported at 6.3 bolívars per dollar.

Opposition politicians seized on what is Venezuela’s fifth devaluation since strict currency controls were introduced in 2003, criticising the socialist government for springing an International Monetary Fund-style adjustment package on the country, and quietly announcing it on Friday while people headed for the beach over the holiday.

There are so many lessons here. Nanny staters, in defiance of the laws of economics and human nature, pretending to be on a quest to spread the wealth and help the downtrodden, institute massive regulation and insane rules to “control” the uncontrollable, then scramble to keep the house of cards from collapsing even faster while trying their best to hide the fact that what they are doing is more damaging than anything they where pretending to be fixing. This will not be the only devaluation either. These things tend to be chained and tied to massive and crippling inflation.

I bring this up because our nanny staters in charge are doing much of the same bullshit that happened in Zimbabwe, Argentina, and Venezuela, making the term “banana republic” very appropriate for our situation here in the US. You can not spend like the collectivist vote buyers want to spend, tax like they want to tax, and most horrible of all, micromanage to force outcomes they would like, like they micromanage. The collectivist cult might have convinced the envious, lazy & greedy, and stupid that they mean well, but what they are doing always ends up the same way. They destroy wealth and wealth creation, set economies and employment back, cause massive devaluation of asset value through currency devaluation or inflation, discourage savings of any kind, and in general only benefit an elite group of people that pretend really hard they are sacrificing for the common good. The only thing they can really deliver is shared misery for the serfs.

The problem with collectivism is that it tries to control outcome against the laws of economics, human nature, and life in general. But collectivists, despite over a century of proof that this stuff, sooner than later, ends badly, refuse to accept these simple facts. That’s why they keep telling us that their ideas have never been executed correctly or by the right people, instead of accepting that their ideas are just going to result in chaos and pain, no matter how well intended. They glom onto early success and never see long term effects or consequences to their policies.

Remember when they told us California was what we all should want to be aspiring to emulate? Free shit for everyone, including the horde of illegal aliens, insane taxes on the productive, promises of insane pensions & benefits, unfunded of course, that would have to be paid out for decades, and destructively stupid green regulations that strangled the economy at first seemed reasonable and good. Not so much these days. BTW, I recommend anything written by VDH, whom has been at ground zero and warning this was coming for decades now.

These days they tell us to look at Sweden. Give them time until the Norwegians run out of oil, then see how well they will be doing. They will all end up like Greece. And so will we here in the US. You eventually run out of other people’s money, especially when you try your best to prevent the other people from making any money.

So that brings me back to Venezuela. I had the good fortune to spend almost 6 months living there back in the early 80s. It was the most prosperous country in South America at the time. Sure it was not perfect, but then again, perfect doesn’t exist on this world anywhere. I have friends there. They used to make fun of the banana republics back in the day while complaining about their government. These days they are the banana republic and they live in fear of retaliation if they say anything their government doesn’t like. Their economy is non existent, scarcity of items and a glut of empty promises and leftist prattle is the norm, crime is so widespread that the wild west looks peaceful by comparison, those that have, have because they are connected to the government, corruption that makes them pine for the shenanigans of the 80s is the name of the game, and the future looks bleak. And things keep getting worse.

Whoop it up while it lasts. Our kids and their kids can pay for the collectivists and what they have done to us. We already blew a cold trillion on this same shit and got nothing from it because all of it went into the pockets of the connected: donkey friends, special interests, politicians, and lobbyists. This time it will make a difference though, huh? What’s this? Like the 15th time he pretends to want to fix the jobs market, but then does absofuckinglutely nothing that would do anything of the sort? In fact, whatever they have done has had the exact opposite effect. From new taxes to Obamacare, these recent donkey regs and rules changes have had devastatingly negative consequences on the job market. Fool me once….

Practice your spanish: “Somos todos ciudadanos de una republica del tercer mundo! Viva la revolucion collectivista y la miseria que siempre sigue.”.

1. Mook says:

Venezuela’s dramatic economic decline took place during an unprecedented increase in oil prices from when Chavez took office, which “should” have ushered them into economic prosperity.. California’s head start in developing a high-tech hub with Silicon valley and their (at one time) nation-leading universities should have guaranteed them economic prosperity too.. but CA’s wild spending collectivists decided to continue taxing and spending to such an extreme that it’s driving out industry in droves.. leaving the overpaid govt. union workers, illegal aliens and welfare recipients to be funded by a shrinking private workforce. Here in TX, you see CA license plates everywhere. I hope they don’t bring their collectivist voting patterns with them which created the economic disaster in CA, but I’m not holding my breath.

2. stogy says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

3. Dave D says:

Stogy:

Stop being such a tool. No, wait, you’re ALWAYS a tool. Never mind……

This is a new topic. Alex has a predictable spin on it, but then so do you.

Holy shit. Sweden is dependent on Norwegian oil? Really? Our economy has problems, no doubt. I don’t subscribe to the whole Scandinavian love fest thing, but having said that, you’d have to be blind not to recognize that we are in pretty good shape, from a European perspective.

The Economist recently published a series of articles on our economy. But there’s really no magic. Our public sector is twice yours, yet we’re on par with you on various freedom index scales. And we have a balanced budget.

Stop that slippery slope bullshit (I know, it won’t happen, because yada yada yada). Not everything ends up in Greece, or North Korea as you sometimes suggest when Greece isn’t bad enough.

5. TxAg94 says:

Yeah, not holding your breath is a good plan. Like here, the ones who leave are the ones who can afford to leave but couldn’t afford to stay there and be the chosen class. So they are libtard light, generally speaking. But they get here and realize they can try to mold their new digs into a system where THEY are kings. So they say they left because the old place was a shithole then proceed to try to change everything in their new place to match. It usually starts out innocent enough and they just don’t see how the quaint locals don’t “get it”.

Are you going to tell me that an inordinately large amount of Swedes are not working in Norway, which has such a booming economy because of its oil exports Kimpost?

Governmnt runs everything and they rely on taxes to do so, only problem is that sooner than later the income is going to fall off, and it doesn’t look like there will be much domestic capability to pick up the slack. But you can pretend that was not my point.

I would, except for I heard the exact same shit about how the slippery slope argument did not apply in the 80s about places like California and so on, when I pointed out that what they where doing was unsustainable, and look where they are now. Greece was being touted as a model of efficiency and the power of the new EU collectivist policies just a decade or so ago. The problem Kimpost is that when your economy is government driven and dependent on government largesse, when you run out of other people’s money – which eventually happens – you end up in trouble. We are seeing it here in the US before you do in Sweden, but it will come to your country too.

^^^^THIS!

The problem is that they move where things are good, change the way things work to be more in tune with their leftist beliefs, then break it all down, and wonder WTF makes the whole thing implode. It’s like this liberal stuff is a mental disorder.

Stogy:

Stop being such a tool. No, wait, you’re ALWAYS a tool. Never mind……

This is a new topic. Alex has a predictable spin on it, but then so do you.

Where is the new topic? It’s simply the same old thing yet again. It’s an staunch ideologue criticising an ideology.

It’s like this liberal stuff is a mental disorder.

Yes, liberals are mentally retarded. Can’t possibly be a vast contiuum of thought and ideas, just like on the right. We’re all Stalin.
    Same old same old. Not even any attempt to be rational or reasonable or employ sense. But why would he, he only gets encouragement from the other right-wingers.

Hot! Thumb up 2 Thumb down 8

9. Dave D says:

Where is the new topic?

I don’t recall ANY posts in the last year or so (probably longer) outlining the failings of Venezuelan collectivism in spite of a TORRENT of overpriced oil income. I think the real butthurt among you liberals is that it just keeps happening over and over. One collectivist nightmare story after another. One failed “government tries to do good then fails miserably” story after another. Alex putting yet another example up for mockery and abuse gets old to you types after a while, I guess? My question is “when will this failure to understand basic economics/human nature sink in with you guys?”

Oh c’mon, the topic isn’t Venezuela. The topic is that anyone who isn’t right-wing is mentally retarded.

How would I be butthurt by something I don’t subscribe to?
    You’re just supporting my contention.

What do I support that has lead to the situation in Venezuela? What specifically don’t I understand?
    Again, this supports what I’m saying.

11. Mook says:

Sweden economy benefiting from cutting taxes, debt and government.

No CM, only people that believe wat you leftists do are retarded. You do not have to be right wing not to be retarded.

But anyone who isn’t right-wing is branded left-wing, and therefore retarded, anyway. So the result is the same. I’m very much in the centre and accept points and arguments made by both the left and the right. But because I don’t outright reject everything from the left, I’m apparently a mentally retarded leftist.
    As I said Alex, you’re ideologically railing against ideology. Which is just silly.

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

15. stogy says:

This is a new topic. Alex has a predictable spin on it, but then so do you.

Actually, it’s really the same topic. Alex just chose a different example.

I haven’t made any comment on Venezuela. But as I am sure you already know what my position is, I probably don’t need to.

You do know what I think about Chavez and Venezuela, don’t you?

16. stogy says:

Japan has three time our debt level relative to GDP and they’re still plugging along.

Hal, Japan is seriously screwed – one reason why I pulled out. The new conservative government is deliberately devaluing the currency by printing money (not so different to the US – or Venezuela for that matter). They are trying to trigger inflation (rather than the stagflation they have now). But if they can get inflation up to even 2%, then servicing the national government debt will eat up 70% of all tax revenues. And there is about to be a spending stampede not unlike Venezuela as people buy up stuff before the consumption tax goes up next year.

I mean seriously – who waits a whole year before introducing a consumption tax?

The reason why another round of stimulus will fail is that the structural problems that have led to the last two “lost” decades haven’t been addressed. The recovery effort in the North is a complete mess. Billions are being poured into bailing out TEPCO, which is more money down the drain. They might as well just be burning the money. And the population are being distracted from it all with ship movements and radar locks off a couple of rocks near Okinawa.

You do know what I think about Chavez and Venezuela, don’t you?

I did want to add one thing about Chavez before I run off to work. The best thing he could do for Venezuela right now is die, or at the very least resign and stay in Cuba for his cancer treatment. The man’s a thug disguised as a demagogue who will hang around until Venezuela looks like Zimbabwe. He will have to completely wreck the country before his support collapses in the countryside because he has been pretty clever at managing the whole class war thing. A friend’s family there were pretty much divided between support and loathing – at least until recently.

His political opposition haven’t really helped matters much though either. Nor has US meddling.

You do know what I think about Chavez and Venezuela, don’t you?

This tells me it doesn’t matter:

No CM, only people that believe wat you leftists do are retarded.

The only people I brand as left wing are the ones that purtend to believe or ctually any of the wealth redistribution collectivist shcemes are anything but scams to let some dicably evil people get rich while pretending to do what they do to help others.

No CM, you are not in the center. You are imersed in a society that is so far left that you might actually think you are in the center compared to some nutbags, because all the people you know think like you do, but you are not. I do not hold that against you BTW, but I am not going to let you pretend the people that claim to be centrists these days when they are really far left are centrists. Sorry. In fact, I bet I am closer to the center than you are.

I’m not saying “don’t worry about the debt”. I’m a deficit hawk. But there’s some space between “let’s get serious about cutting spending” and “EVERYBODY PANIC!”

The sad thing is that you miss the point that everybody should really have panicked long ago, Hal. It might have made the coming disaster less painful and something we eventually could pull out of. Instead we all go along happily pretending that things are not so bad until the inevitable collapse happens, and then it will be far worse than if people had panicked when they should have. Kind of like the whole housing market thing we went through about 5 years ago and the one coming for Social Security and Medicare, if you know what I mean.

That. Is. Just. Ridiculous.
    I don’t have to compare myself to where my, or your, society, sits, I can compare myself to where I sit in comparison to ideologues at either end of the spectrum, what those ideologies involve. From what I can tell, a mixed economy works best. A society which determines it’s own minimums and limits democratically works best. You are very clearly towards one end of the spectrum – as evidenced by your very emotional repetitive rants about all the evil on the left, and how the only thing that works is on the far right. You advocate letting tens of millions fall into abject poverty simply to fulfill the requirements of an ideology. You’re about following the theory, not the reality of what it means.

Where is the panic about people suggesting that the economy should recover by allowing people to get into unsustainable levels of household debt (yet again), because to do anything else would be counter to the free market etc etc? Yet that is the inevitable result of the majority of the population continuing to suffer a drop in real wages. If a minimum wage is not the answer, what is the answer? I mean other than vague ideological responses that actually make income inequality worse.

22. stogy says:

That could also apply to you Alex. You are so far to the right that probably even Pat Robertson looks like a loony lefty from where you stand. And most people I know actually move back and forward along the spectrum depending not just on the government of the day or the economic outlook, but a whole range of other issues as well. I think the days of a single left-to-right continuum are pretty much in the past – apart from a few die hard old crusty red with beards, and of course your good self.

But the one-trick pony act, banging on and on about the same thing, hour after hour, day after day…is wearing a bit thin.

We get it. We know where you stand on this issue. But it’s a big world. Not everything in it has to be interpreted through the little lens of “collectivism”.

What else you got?

23. stogy says:

That could also apply to you Alex. You are so far to the right that probably even Pat Robertson looks like a loony lefty from where you stand. And most people I know actually move back and forward along the spectrum depending not just on the government of the day or the economic outlook, but a whole range of other issues as well. I think the days of a single left-to-right continuum are pretty much in the past – apart from a few die hard old crusty reds with beards, and of course your good self.

What else you got?

That could also apply to you Alex.

When did I try to convince anyone that based on my belief I was in the center?

LOL! That only seems that way to you because you think Marx, Stalin, and Mao where all right wing cooks.

There is one issue I do not move an iota on, and I do so because of what I have seen in practice, and that is that leftist economics and social engineering are doomed and will cause far more harm than they ever will do good. You would be absolutely surprised at what my stances are on a slew of other topics.

It only seems to be wearing thin with the people that do not want to hear it and get caught making excuses every time to defend the indefensible. Know what I mean?

Nice strawman. Then again, since my focus is on how collectivism and social engineering are failing us miserably, and the amount of examples are so abundant that they drown anyone paying attention, it only looks to you that I apply a lens to everything.

BTW, you have a choice. Ignore my posts if you don’t like them.

What else you got?

Plenty. But nothing I feel like posting about.

80.000 Swedes work in Norway. Not sure how many Norwegians work in Sweden (10.000, 20.000?), but let’s assume there are none. That would leave 1% of our workforce in Norway. A respectable number, but insignificant on a macro economic scale.

Government doesn’t run everything. Not even close. Anyway, our economy is more dependant on EU export than it is on Norway. Hell, we are more dependent on US than we are on Norway. If the EU suffers, we’ll suffer, even if we currently are better off than most. We’ll get back on track again when EU does. You really should read the Economist series of articles. I personally think they are a too positive, but their analysis isn’t insane.

You could read Mook’s Forbes-link too. But it’s a bit outdated. Things aren’t looking quite as good anymore. What it does show, however, is that we aren’t socialists.

26. stogy says:

No they were all pretty left. Marx cops a bad rap as his name was woefully misused under Communism. But the last two were thugs first, left a distant second.

OK. Here’s one. Occupational health and safety. Now I grant you that there is some pretty stupid stuff out there, and mandatory courses on not tripping over office cables might seem like a waste of time (and they are). But the number of people who didn’t get trapped down coal mines, lose limbs or lives on building sites, lose an eye to welding sparks, didn’t lose half a hand to an abattoir saw is well worth the cost in HR managers on their own little power trips. The price of the social engineering was worth it.

Or how about food safety. That was social engineering on a grand scale – driven largely by public protests particularly by housewives 100 years back. No-one had any idea of what was in anything, how old it was, or what it was going to do to them until we had food inspections and licensing. Society is definitely more productive with a healthier workforce and fewer sick days lost.

And drug safety? I know you guys get all up in a lather about the FDA stifling innovation, but they have really improved over the past few years. And big pharma is one of the most corrupt industries on earth. There’s a fantastic new book out on it by one of my heroes, Ben Goldacre – falsifying data, hiding clinical trials that don’t go their way, drug dumping, bribing regulators, misleading marketing, kickbacks for docs for pushing up sales, patent fixing…

Ah. Now actually, here is something we could agree on. The patent system for drugs is a form of social engineering that pushes up prices, grants huge monopolies to corporations who really don’t give a shit about patient affordability or safety. At last we agree. We do agree, don’t we Alex? Unfortunately, big pharma is never going to let this one go – way too lucrative and not much for the pollies in the way of votes. Still, we are better off with the FDA than without.

Uh yeah. That’s what you just said. So it’s not actually a straw man. And as I am now saying what you said is what I said, it can hardly be a straw man, can it?

Plenty. But nothing I feel like posting about.

ZZZZZZZZZZZ zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz………

27. stogy says:

Alex doesn’t read links. He’s like the Chuck Norris of links.

Alex doesn’t read links. He’s like the Chuck Norris of links.

Actually I read links quite well despite being the Chuck Norris of links. You do know my tears cure cancer right? Pitty I never cry. You got a thumbs up from me for pointing that out too.

As for the Economist magazine, I stopped reading that in the late 80s when they went oer the cliff with their idiotic Keynesian and commie shit. If I could so easily see through the bullshit they where selling and they couldn’t I figured they where not just stealing my money charging me for a subscription, but insulting me for doing so too. There is so much ideological libtard stupid I can take. It’s the same reason I gave up on Scientific American, Newsweek, and Time eventually as well. Too much progressive cultism. Know what I am saying?

Alex already knows more than he needs to about Sweden. He certainly could teach Kimpost a thing or two, let alone The Economist.
    You feel me?

So Alex (and presumably other main-writers) can still edit?

Me (another thread, half an hour ago):

They don’t notice how they increasingly rely on conspiracy theory and accusations and insinuations and how they’ve narrowed their source-list right down to being people who adhere to exactly the same world-view/ideology. And you also stop seeing any continuum of thought/belief/ideas. It’s all binary to you. Which is why I’m apparently a big fan of Stalin etc etc.

Alex:

32. Mook says:

This article says that Sweden’s govt. spending as a % of GDP is 51.8% vs. 41.9% in the US, so it seems that Sweden’s public sector is not that much larger than ours. And given US govt spending trajectory and considering that the US govt. uses so much “off budget” accounting (Social security “trust fund”, etc.), I wouldn’t be surprised if US govt. spending percentages is soon on parity with Sweden.

33. Mook says:

We have a lot more room to fix things that Sweden

Do we? Or is that a talking point? If Sweden has a balanced budget (I’m assuming Kimpost is correct) and the US has a cumulative debt of over $16 Trillion with a multiple of that number in unfunded liabilities and projected annual deficits as far as the eye can see (based on rosy scenario assumptions that our debt interest levels will remain at historical lows).. then Sweden would seem to be in a helluva better condition to fix things as compared to the US. We’re going over the fiscal waterfall here in the US. Recent minor improvements in the US economy have come at a heavy cost of massive deficit spending.. and Federal Reserve medicating the economy by creating trillions of dollars of credit out of thin air.

You feel me?

Well at least we can assume he’s not going over to Swedish blogs telling people how they should live. If he were I’d call him an asshole.

You feel me?

35. stogy says:

Actually I read links quite well despite being the Chuck Norris of links.

Well here’s one for you:

Abe, Japan’s man of the hour, at Davos (It’s in English – don’t panic!)

Anyone think this man is capable of pulling Japan out of the economic cataclysm it is heading for?

You feel me?

Fur shore. If I ever start doing that, you let me know.

You feel me?

This never gets old…

I’m not saying “don’t worry about the debt”. I’m a deficit hawk.

Hal, I think there should be an asterisk next to this statement. Small fine print at the footnote section of the page reads: In theory, not in practice. I think that would be a little more accurate don’t you?

I only say this because every time crunch time comes, or there is a pressure point to where bargains can be pushed you’re out the door with this one. As for the useless GOP back in the Bush days, the ones fighting against privatization of programs like social security were the ones you were defending.

The Japanese will die of old age long before their economy finally implodes. Or not. Maybe they will become a province of the ever expanding Chinese empire.

Like I said, the modern economies of the world all chased the USSR’s over the cliff. We are all doomed. Banana republics all around as entitled people that think birth qualifies them for a life of playing PS3/X-Box and living high on other people’s dime, destroy the work of their betters.

View Mobile Site