Hey Mr DJ: B-Sides Edition

And so the 2nd Term of President Barack Obama has begun. Usually, a president’s second term is known for few significant accomplishments and assorted trivialities. It’s the first half that carries his glory while the second is basically filler. In other words, this is the B-Side of Obama’s “album”.

B-Sides are not necessarily bad songs. They’re just less well-known. Sometimes, they’re even experimental and really cool.

This thread is pretty self-explanatory. Give me the lesser known songs of great acts. Hidden tracks are good too as well as “lost” stuff like this. The dark side of Dark Side of the Moon, if you will. For fuck’s sake, don’t play anything I’ve heard on the radio if you can help it.

WVR: Not Enough Time by INXS

Santino: Dust Bowl Dance by Mumford and Sons

Biggie G: Pretty Tied Up by Guns N’ Roses

pfluffy: Rats by Pearl Jam

MY: Black Girls by Violent Femmes

CM: Rich by The Yeah Yeah Yeahs

1. pfluffy says:

Start your day off right! B-Side of “The Weeping Song”. Not safe for work or sensitive folk.

This one is a pure B-Side for you, pfluffy. It’s the big “WTF” track on one of my most favorite albums. Doesn’t quite sound like anything else on Superunknown or even by that band:

3. pfluffy says:

Doesn’t quite sound like anything else on Superunknown or even by that band

It has a more “Down on the Upside” feel to it. I have always liked that one, probably because of the banjo mandolin. It reminds me of this great unknown SG track:

4. pfluffy says:

Fucking hell, editing not working. The similarity is in the banjo mandolin, which is a very cool instrument. I have one that needs restoring. I should get on that one of these days.

5. West Virginia Rebel says:

They Might Be Giants:

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds:

West Virginia Rebel recently posted..Cash ActionMy Profile

Heard someone say he is the new David Allen Coe
    Time will tell

7. pfluffy says:

Nice selections, WVR. Johnny Cash did Nick Cave the favor of remaking that one.

So I was thinking about Hal and his lamentations regarding death-by-grocery bag and this song popped into my head. I doubt you have heard it on the radio, Thrill. It was released under the Creative Commons license. You can remix it at will.

8. pfluffy says:

MY, I am not a huge country music fan, but he has a very good voice and at least it isn’t crossover country.

9. pfluffy says:

WVR, here is the Johnny Cash rendition:

pfluffy. from what I gather he, much like D.A.C. lived what he sings about. Pretty sure he’s from up around HARLEY too.

Never cared for country my whole life but I got some on me 10 years ago and now I can’t get it off.

11. pfluffy says:

I am from somewhere near Harley, myself, but have been in Atlanta since 1979. Old-style country and folk was part of my upbringing, but rock is my passion. I do love Southern Rock:

Here is some obscure southern rock, hope you like it:

12. pfluffy says:

13. pfluffy says:

14. pfluffy says:

I do love Southern Rock myself. And I would have put up some Skynyrd but Thrill didn’t want anything he might have heard on the radio and even their side B stuff gets air time.

Black Oak Arkansas was possibly the first Southern Rock band I ever heard (early 70′s)

16. pfluffy says:

shhhhh… Gloria was technically a B-side but who hasn’t heard it? Remember these guys?

17. Santino says:

This one’s got me stumped! Though I do got some southern rock for y’all.

18. Santino says:

Just cause I’m in the mood.

19. Iconoclast says:

There is one line in this song that I leaned on whenever I thought I wouldn’t finish college — “It takes a little more persistence to get up and go the distance…” My young, undiciplined self needed all the help and inspiration it could get.

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBZ2qDIbDUQ&w=420&h=315

20. pfluffy says:

Santino! Thanks for the southern rock! You did hear that The Stone Roses are at Coachella this year, eh?

Eh. I want something heavier.

22. Iconoclast says:

There is one line in this song that I leaned on whenever I thought I wouldn’t finish college — “It takes a little more persistence to get up and go the distance…” My young, undisciplined self needed all the help and inspiration it could get.

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBZ2qDIbDUQ&w=420&h=315

And now that I am much older, I am still not as disciplined as I’d like to be, and still need all the help I can get…

23. Iconoclast says:

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBZ2qDIbDUQ&w=420&h=315

25. Iconoclast says:

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBZ2qDIbDUQ&w=420&h=315

26. pfluffy says:

Thrill, perhaps this will satisfy your lust for volume:

28. Santino says:

You did hear that The Stone Roses are at Coachella this year, eh?

I’m getting old, I have to come to RTFTLC to get my music updates from you. I just found out a couple of weeks ago that Alice in Chains came out with some new music.

Eh. I want something heavier.

It’s all I got.

How about a little something to pull on your heart-strings?

29. pfluffy says:

The slipknot was sublime, Thrill, thank you!

WOW, I’d forgot about Molly Hatchet. Thanks for that blast,

There’s a local (Meridian MS) band that cut an album a few years ago. I think I put “Catfish Stew” by them before but this is a good side B song by Laidlaw

Yesss. Megadeth is my business and business is, um, going…alright. I suppose. Hm.

But here’s an old favorite I haven’t played in some time.

How about a little something to pull on your heart-strings?

Oh, you devil! That is in fact one of THE great heartbreaking songs of my life. Thanks for remembering.

This being one of the others:

I get all weepy, like a bitch.

33. pfluffy says:

Um, third attempt. MY, thanks for the southern rock tune.

One more from the “Thrill is a Whiny Crybaby” collection:

35. Biggie G says:

Probably my favorite Rolling Stones song. I don’t think I’ve ever heard this on regular radio.

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4HdaBSELH4&w=560&h=315

36. pfluffy says:

I just posted one of my heart string songs – “In My Darkest Hour”. Another would be Nick Cave’s Hallelujah.

Here’s a fine, sad one for you, Santino:

BAAAAACK TOOOO HEEEEEEEEAVY SHIIIIIIIII…….

39. Biggie G says:

Does anyone have any idea why I can’t edit my posts anymore?

40. Santino says:

Here’s a fine, sad one for you, Santino:

Probably my favourtie song from that album.

Does anyone have any idea why I can’t edit my posts anymore?

I noticed that Iconoclast had a post disappear. Hmmm?

One more sad for Thrill.