Peaceful Secession Not an Option

That’s probably the most sensational headline I could have gone with, but it does get to the point of those petitions demanding that the White House allow states to secede.

Although the founders established a perpetual union, they also provided for a government that is, as President Lincoln would later describe it, “of the people, by the people, and for the people” — all of the people. Participation in, and engagement with, government is the cornerstone of our democracy. And because every American who wants to participate deserves a government that is accessible and responsive, the Obama Administration has created a host of new tools and channels to connect concerned citizens with White House. In fact, one of the most exciting aspects of the We the People platform is a chance to engage directly with our most outspoken critics.

So in the end, the Administration played it safe and decided on a bland response from an Administration flunky. I won’t go deep into the author’s arguments except to note that he implicitly observed that the President doesn’t have the Constitutional authority to allow any state to secede. Contrast the tone of this response with the snarky and somewhat bitchy one here and you’ll see that the White House decided to tread carefully with the question. Not sure if the recent spike in gun sales has anything to do with it.

I do have one piece of good news for all rebel scum though. The petition to build a Death Star was also denied. Without this superweapon, the Obama Administration will never subjugate the galaxy, much less implement Obamacare.

From the WH response regarding the Death Star petition

The construction of the Death Star has been estimated to cost more than $850,000,000,000,000,000. We’re working hard to reduce the deficit, not expand it.

So this is doable then I guess?

I give that estimate and possibility about as much credibility as I do anything else that comes out of this Administration.

Actually, that estimate from some grad student who honestly tried to figure out how much it would cost to build it. Launching all that material into space was the most expensive part. So, silly but sourced.

But we’re just talking about raw materials to construct a big moon, basically. Do we have the technology to make the planet-vaporizing death ray? Also, I strongly doubt we can build a gigantic space station that can leave Earth orbit and go from solar system to solar system.

Fuck, I just took this seriously, didn’t I? Dammit…

5. HARLEY says:

We simply dont have the Lift capacity,or structural metallurgical capacity, think about the stress level involved between the dynamic heating on the sun side to the rate of cooling on the dark side…

Colonize the MOON. Weaponize it, hell hollow it out if need be, bet there’s enough raw material to lots of misadventure. Put rocket thrusters to make it mobile.

Shit I thought about this back in high school (mid 60′s) And it was probably 30 years ago I read that Deimos and Phobos, Mars’ two moons, were thought to be hollow.

In the late 70′s thru mid 90′s OMNI magazine was my bible. It’s founder Bob Guccione had another magazine too and it featured heavenly bodies as well.

7. HARLEY says:

MY, you been reading John Ringo, live free or die series or david webers Dahak series?

No, should I? Need something else to read pretty soon. Jordan’s “Wheel of Time” series has been putting me to sleep lately.

9. HARLEY says:

Ringos books are pretty sci-fi Libertarian. Weber is pretty good too.

Thanks, I’ll check these guys out.
    Although the capital “L” Libertarian puts me off a bit. But then again I remembered you and I both suffer from spelling and punctuation errors :)

11. HARLEY says:

Ringo is ex military, kinda fucking in the head a bit. and a geek.. lol. Weber is a Small L libertarian type slash conservative type..
    I recommend a good series by both them:
    March Up Country
    March to the Sea
    March to the Stars
    We Few.

12. rkluess says:

For any interested, I wrote a small book on the topic of peaceful secession. Long story short, it’s possible, but people have been doing it wrong. If anyone was really into the idea, it would require collective individual secession, not secession by a state.

I invite any to take a look: An Attorney’s Guide to Secession.