Hey Mr DJ: Rampant Retail and Reprisal Edition

Begun this Black Friday has.  As we dedicate ourselves to buying more unnecessary crap for each other, we should remember that Israelis and Palestinians faced off in their latest round of mortal combat with all of the ferocity of an unmarried mother of two going for the last Wii on the fucking shelf at Wal-Mart.  The most fanatical Hamas and Likud Party assholes don’t want all the land of Jerusalem and its holiest holies  more than some Americans want to storm Best Buy at the ass-crack of dawn for that 40% discount on a video game about killing terrorists.

Today, I just want to give as everyone else is out to take.  I want to share some music.  Most of my countrymen are probably busy shopping or sitting in the emergency room, but any participation would be nice.

Share music of:

1. PANDEMONIUM!!!!

2. Anti-Capitalism or decrying “selling out” or…

3. The most bland, overproduced, consumer-friendly music with little to no artistic merit you can find

4. Anything with a cool Middle Eastern sound or by a Jewish or Arab musician/band

5. Anything music-wise for which you are thankful (for our 5 or 6 non-sociopathic readers)

The embedded video is your playlist.  I’ll add music as the day goes on.

First, my starting selection:

Up For Sale by The International Noise Conspiracy

Next, I need to serve some cold leftovers to last week’s immoral separatists:

repmom: Shopping for Blood by Franz Ferdinand

pfluffy: Gold, Guns, Girls by Metric

Shiftuser: Mastermind by Mindless Self Indulgence

Harley: March of the Pigs by NIN

blameme: Psycho Holiday by Pantera

FPrefect: The Day After the Revolution by Pulp

CM:  Fake Plastic Trees by Radiohead (seeing a lot of these around today)

Iconoclast: You Can’t Buy My Love by Robert Plant

Santino: Kool Thing by Sonic Youth

Mississippi Yankee: Hooker with a Penis by Tool (why not?)

By category:

1. The Angry Mob by Kaiser Chiefs

2. Rock n Roll Lifestyle by Cake

3. Oh, Gawd. Iron Dome cannot even stop this.

4. By request of Mrs Thrill: King Without a Crown by Matisyahu

5. Thanks to the Soundgarden for my favorite album of my youth. The Day I Tried to Live from Superunknown.

2. pfluffy says:

Black Friday always brings this lovely tune to mind:

3. pfluffy says:

I think this counts for Item #2:

4. pfluffy says:

pfluffy: Gold, Guns, Girls by Metric

Cool Song! Gonna post on my FB page in honor of the stampeding lunatics on Black Friday.

Black Friday always brings this lovely tune to mind:

I laughed harder than I probably should have.

I think this counts for Item #2:

PERFECT. Exactly what I wanted. Let’s get 10 more like that.

Next wave (while supplies last):

1. [Shit, double-posted NIN]. No more drunk DJ-ing.]

2. Processed Beats by Kasabian

3. Fuck Madonna. Is anybody NOT sick of her by now?

4. Woodpecker from Mars by Faith No More

5. Nirvana. Thanks for the grunge. It was short-lived, but made things interesting. You got the ball rolling, even if it went nowhere.

6. Iconoclast says:

We’ll see if these work…

1. PANDEMONIUM!!!!

Rush — By-tor and the Snow Dog
    Epic battle between good and evil — the actual chaotic battle scene starts about two minutes in…

4. Anything with a cool Middle Eastern sound…

The Who — Baba O’Riley

Led Zeppelin — Kashmir

7. pfluffy says:

Onto my #3. Keep in mind, you asked for it. There should be warning on this shit.

The #3′s make us appreciate everything else all the more.

Replacement #1 from my earlier goof:

This House is a Circus by Arctic Monkeys

10. pfluffy says:

Number four, not Arab, but Turkish …

11. Biggie G says:

Here’s my five.

1: http://youtu.be/ceYt704hpxM Where Eagles Dare – The Misfits

2: http://youtu.be/ZuwWvPGul3o Battleflag – Lo Fidelity Allstars

3: http://youtu.be/ZSBq8geuJk0 It’s Thanksgiving – Nicole Westbrook

I am disgusted with myself for knowing this song, but I think that I win. This is from Patrice Wilson, the guy who brought you Michelle Black and Friday. I think this is a new low.

4: http://youtu.be/JUFR3zh1BRk Oy! to the World – The Klezmonauts

Can you beat Christmas Carols done in a Klezmer style? These guys have a whole album of this stuff.

5: http://youtu.be/v2GYo9QDoRU Slip Away – Clarence Carter.

I came to it late because it’s before my time, but I will always be thankful for 60′s soul.

12. Biggie G says:

I know it worked for me before. Does anyone know why I can’t set a link inside the phrase like Thrill did 3 comments up?

13. pfluffy says:

And, finally, Number 5. I’m with Thrill. I am thankful that some fine Seattle musicians had the stones to break out of the hair metal. This knocks on #1′s door as well.

Mississippi Yankee: Hooker with a Penis by Tool (why not?)

You will pay! Tool indeed

Mecca – Gene Pitney

I’ve had it screw up for me too. But the procedure is the same:

1. Highlight the text you want to hyperlink
    2. Click the “link” button at the top of the comment window
    3. Paste the URL in the field
    4. Click OK

As long as you’re posting the links in the comment, I don’t mind if they’re in-text or not.

18. Biggie G says:

Thanks Thrill. I guess it was the old blog where you just hit the link button and another box would pop up where you would type in the phrase to hyperlink.

System of a Down pretty well rounds out 1,2, and 4 regardless of what they’re singing about.

Revenga

Here’s some pandemonium of a sort. Does well with #1 and #2:

Pay No MInd by Beck

Battleflag – Lo Fidelity Allstars

Great choice. Love the post-punk/electronica style of acts like that. Damn shame that one was a one-hit wonder. I thought they were going to be the new Prodigy when that song came out.

You will pay! Tool indeed

Heh! I wanted to work it into the thread early and couldn’t figure out who to match it to. You got stuck with it because I couldn’t think of a good one for you.

Don’t punish me for my lack of imagination! Although I guess retaliation is fair game for the thread…

For #’s 1 3 5 and partial revenge

Aaaaaaaggggh. Your musical library is powerful and your sardonic cruelty knows no bounds. I may at last have found my nemesis.

Let’s see how you handle Ke$ha without an auto-tuner.

Had to shop around to find this one, but it’s good for this thread.

Minimum Wage is a Gateway Drug by Dillinger Four

Thrill, I had to go with Miles Betterman. (one-two punch) Anything else would have been déclassé such as

Now I like Ke$ha, she’s talented, writes not only her own stuff but for several other singers too. Good looking and her nose intrigues me. And I’m not even a “nose” man.
    BTW, I’m tone-deaf so the lack of auto-tuner wasn’t really a problem.

Very well, then! I have for you a B-Side. By a #3-on-the-list band. This has been finely calculated to be as insulting as I can manage with this particular format.

You win. Just watching that video in the way it high-lighted the lyrics drove me ’round the bend.

Yes. The maker of that video liked that one waaaaay too much to have put such shitty talent to such hard work on its behalf.

29. pfluffy says:

This came through via Facebook feed:

Now, that is cool. Should apply to #2 …

And for #3

#3…

Well, that’s a creative interpretation for our purposes! Nice.

How about this for a “not really what they had in mind but works here” track?

Beds are Burning by Midnight Oil