Good examples why progressive goverment programs suck ass and waste

Let’s start with the revelation from Washington D.C that government employees defrauded tax payers of close to $2 million dollars. And how did they do that?

The District said Monday that hundreds of city workers took nearly $2 million in fraudulent unemployment benefits, a scandal that roiled the D.C. government earlier this year and prompted widespread firings and criminal charges.

Lisa Mallory, the director of the D.C. Department of Employment Services, told the D.C. Council that her agency had detected $1.9 million in overpayments to District workers who collected unemployment benefits while on the city’s payroll.

They filed for unemployment while sucking at the government’s teat. Granted this was likely the most work these fuckwads did in the last year, that is the work to fleece tax payers by collecting unemployment, but my bet is that they will walk away with nothing but a slap on the wrist.

When we had government employees abuse a program that was supposed to help people impacted by the Halloween winter storm that hit Connecticut over a year ago, the democrat government acted all though and fired them all. The DNC propagandists all lauded his hard line actions, mostly to provide cover. A few months later they “discovered” some passage in their union contract that suddenly invalidated the governor from punishing them for this, let alone fire them, and all but a token few came back to their cushy jobs. Many with full repayment of their time off.

Of course, this sort of behavior isn’t the sole problem. In Detroit, a city where the left has run the place for over 7 decades, just the way they like to work things, leaving it in shambles and broken, the city council rejected the terms of a contract that would have given cash strapped Detroit a loan. Why?

DETROIT (Reuters) – Detroit will not get a much-needed $10 million after the city council rejected on Tuesday a contract to hire a law firm that was part of a deal to help the city overhaul its finances.

The state of Michigan and its biggest city, Detroit, announced a deal last week that includes several milestones the city must achieve in the next month to receive the $10 million by Tuesday and another $20 million by December 14.

In a voice vote, the city council rejected a contract for the law firm of Miller, Canfield, Paddock & Stone to provide legal advice and to handle litigation related to implementing a financial stability agreement designed to overhaul city finances.

The rejection “means the city will not receive the first $10 million scheduled for release today,” said Mayor Dave Bing in a statement issued right after the vote.

Mayor Bing said the rejection of the contract will make it more difficult for Detroit to maintain positive cash flow.

They didn’t like the terms. Probably, because the rest of Michigan’s tax payers wanted to make sure the money wasn’t just stolen while things just kept getting worse. I bet there is a reason these sticking points were not mentioned in the article I link either.. If people got the details they would be up in arms, and the left protects their own.

Finally, not to be outdone by either city or municipal government run by leftists, we have this revelation from our federal employees.

The Federal-Postal Coalition — a group representing more than two dozen federal employee unions — pleaded with Congress on Monday to spare their members in any deal related to the “fiscal cliff.”

Federal workers, the coalition wrote in a letter, have contributed more than their fair share toward reducing the debt and are the only group that has been targeted so heavily.

“Federal and postal employees and their families are hardworking, middle-class Americans who are struggling during these tough times just like other Americans,” the group wrote. “No other group has been asked to financially contribute the way they have, and it is time our nation’s leaders found other ways to reduce the deficit than continually taking from those who have dedicated their lives to public service.”

According to the coalition, federal employees have funded $60 billion in budget savings in 2011 and 2012 as a result of their ongoing pay freeze and an additional $28 billion in savings will be derived from the freeze extension through March 2013.

HAH! Fuck the private sector, don’t mess with us unionized federal employees! We waste money by the oodles, but here are some token concessions we made that should absolve us. I wonder how many of the people that lost jobs due to the economic implosion caused by the left’s social engineering through housing fiasco would have preferred to have pay freezes or give backs to stay employed? No bother. Stick it to them some more.

These are the people “servicing” us. Just like a bull “services” a cow.

1. TxAg94 says:

With respect to the postal employees, we all know that most should be terminated immediately, some in the Arnold Schwarzenagger sense. My wife and i went last Friday to our local PO to get passports. We had an appointment that we set up over a week in advance. We get there, all paperwork in hand, and the passport office is closed. There is one “Trainee” (could have said train wreck just as easily) and one “Trainer” (same). We ask and she says she’s the one we would meet with but we’ll have to CALL IN to reschedule because she’s busy and everyone else is on lunch break. If your post office is like mine, lunch is their busiest time, by far. Yet they schedule everyone off during that time. I can only guess that it’s union driven.

Long story a little shorter, a couple of people show up early from lunch and man the counter, in the loosest sense of the word. The trainee was still the only one working while 2 others watched and seemed to not know themselves what the hell to do. The trainer finally helped us with our passports (a whole other nightmare if you are more than 30 or so years old) but couldn’t get any of the computer equipment to work.

In all we were there over an hour while a line was out the door and nothing and no one seemed to work. In any real business they would have closed the doors long ago. Perhaps we need to find a way to let that happen. Like the DC employees, the hardest I ever see postal workers WORK is to save their cushy jobs and benefits.

2. balthazar says:

I went to the library to do my passport, was in and out in 15 min. I had no forms or anything filled out, filled them all out there and we were done.

Yah Poosh, the irony of that ridiculous statement struck me too. The fact that we spent a trillion dollars of prokulous money propping up federal and state governments, all while the public sector was savaged and raped by the aftermath of decades of defective and deficient housing lending practices, coupled with insane regulations around the finances of loaning – fuck the idiots that say it was deregulation because they are lying scumbags – spurred by the social engineering crowd, seems to be relegated to the ash heap. If we choose to ignore the lesson and the problem we deserve the pain.

Anyway, back to these fuckwads telling people that they should not have to suffer the wrath of the coming fiscal disaster, because they are people too. Fuck them and the horse they wrote on in. The private sector employees have been taking it on the chin for over 4 years now because of them and their buddies. Sacking about 50% of them would be the best thing to happen to our economy right now anyway.

5. Miguelito says:

I went to our main city building downtown (San Diego) for my passport a few months ago after doing the forms online and printing. Took maybe 20min total including doing the photo there, with about 10 of that waiting to be called.

I had to get an official BC copy a few weeks earlier to have it for the passport and that was scary fast. So much so it seemed like it would sure be simple to get someone else’s.

Then my dog had big problem due to a hot spot the day of my friend’s wedding in TJ (the reason I got the passport in the first place) and I had to take her to the vet and missed the whole thing, never using the passport anyway. Good to have it on hand at least.

The sad thing about the Postal Service is everyone knows that it could be done sooo much better by a private concern but It needs an actual Act of Congress to get it done. And with the WH and Senate staying blue for the foreseeable future we’re all stuck with it as is.

Done in by that pesky Constitution.

7. pfluffy says:

Ok, MY I’ll bite. Who can do better at sending a letter across the country for less than $.50?

Gmail, that’s who, pfluffy. I win!

pfluffy, when we’re talking about that kind of bulk and taking into consideration the infra-structure already exists and belongs to the taxpayer I’d hazard a guess at pretty much any delivery service that doesn’t have a union contract.

10. pfluffy says:

I think that costs will rise quickly with a private enterprise. Fifty cents is very cheap.

Perhaps but they are losing millions of dollars every moth at that price. Without all of the union perks and benefits a new provider would have more, much more, maneuverability.
    But the point is moot for the reasons I mentioned above.

12. pfluffy says:

Of course, Thrill is correct. Most “letters” are sent via email.

UPS and FedEx currently deliver much heavier cargo, and with guaranteed speed, for much less respectively than the 50 cents the post office delivers. Granted, the post office delivers to east bum fuck when FedEx and UPS don’t, certainly not guaranteed fast, but there are ways around that too.

I kno people that work at the post office. Not just in CT, but in NY, MA, HN, and in CA, and all of them admit the place they work is a god damned joke. Efficiency is something they joke about.

Ineptocracy

I stole this from Boortz who got it from a listener. I’m really gonna miss him when he retires after the start of Obungler’s second term.

“A system of government where the least capable are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.”

15. balthazar says:

They arnt losing millions, its BILLIONS.

Let a private company do that and still be in business and they can send the letter for 50 cents too.

I do my passports online – get the pictures at Costco, download the form, fill it all out and mail it in weeks in advance. Shows up in a month or less.

When I moved and I lost my new passport I spent an afternoon in the federal building. Got it done, but it was slower than shit. Lots of “go stand over there and wait while I scratch my ass and get another cup of coffee” attitude. The whole thing should have only run 20 minutes, but who ever heard of running a process improvement workshop on federal employees?

I have in the past done much the same. AAA instead of Costco though. But this last time, about 6 months ago, I did it because my son had turned 16 and he needed to show up in person so they could witness his document signing. Did it at a post office. I had all the forms filled in and done on my computer, the correct ones for both of us, the checks made out correctly, and the pictures and all the required documentation. I poorly chose to do it at the post office. Took them 1 hour to witness the thing, and then that was because the lady behind the counter kept being distracted or asking me questions about the documents & process she was supposed to be the expert on.

About a month later I got my passport and a letter telling me she had botched my kid’s application. I needed to resubmit it, with a hefty $75 dollar additional fee to cover the problem she caused. I went to my town’s probate court instead. Took only 20 more minutes but it finally got done. If people in the private sector were as inefficient and rude as these government workers, I am sure they would have been fired or seen their company go belly up. Unionized government employees however never have to worry about mundane stuff like that.

We get our passports (as well as national ID’s) at the police station. We step in, get our picture taken by the counter, sign a form and pay. Takes 10 minutes. Days, or up to a week later we can go pick it up.

The process is relatively ok, but a couple of years ago I learned how things COULD be. I was on my way to London and had forgotten my passport (I actually didn’t forget, it was more that I thought that my national ID would suffice – it does in most EU-countries, but unfortunately not UK), and it was too far to go home to get it. So I applied for a temporary passport right there at the airport police station. The process was identical and the frakking passport looked exactly the same except for the colour of it, and that it was labelled “temporary”. I had it in my hand after 20 minutes.

I couldn’t stop myself from asking: – Why isn’t this the normal procedure for normal passports?
    Police answers: – I honestly don’t know.

19. mrblume says:

Strange. I flew to London recently, with only a national id. No one asked for a passport; Apparently this is a Sweden-thing:

For some a passport is necessary anyway, since not all countries issue such cards for their citizens, and because Sweden requires a passport when travelling from that country to EU countries outside Schengen.

Hmmm. I’ve been blaming the UK. Are you telling me that I need to start checking my facts?

I’ve also only had excellent and efficient service getting passports.
    “Progressive government programs” here don’t tend to involve “sucking ass and waste” either. Which suggests that perhaps in America they’re just doing it wrong for some reason.

Well we ARE exceptional. But Mr. I-Won (part deux) will fix that.

I was really hoping for a ‘You’re Doing It Wrong’ pic. Xetrov would have come through for me :-(

Happy Thanksgiving to you all by the way. I give thanks that I have the freedom to do this in the wrong thread.

Hey CM,
    Either you or cress need to find a ‘virgin’ to throw into Mt. Doom. Appease that volcano until Peter Jackson finishes all of The Hobbit. That is unless he decides to stretch it out past Part III. In which case I vote throwing him in, and Fran and Pippa too!