The Right Wing Meltdown: Knock It Off

It’s been downright painful watching conservatives come to grips with the reality that Obama was re-elected. A couple of my favorite sites are about ready to go all Jonestown about it and I haven’t bothered to give them more than a cursory glance for the past week.

Everywhere it’s “Why, why, why?” and “We have to change everything we believe!” and “We just had bad luck, it means nothing, nothing I tell you!” and even “We have to secede, obviously.”

It’s a collective temper tantrum. Liberals think it’s all hilarious, I might add.

At the risk of sounding like a big twat (ha, ha, ha: shut up), I’ve never been more ashamed of us as a movement or group or what-have-you. This is not the End of America, for fuck’s sake. If you’re waiting for the collective breakdown and war (or, worse, hoping for it), settle down.

It’s not Morning in America either, mind you. Let’s not kid ourselves. This country is in for a brutal decade. But that doesn’t mean that America is fatally wounded. Our country has made a shitload of really bad decisions, run up too much debt, and divided itself on some ridiculous issues that never should have become government problems. We have the bad misfortune to be home when the papers are being served.

We’re getting ready for the next act of The Great Devaluation.  Real estate and college got overvalued, made a bunch of people rich, and then it turned out to be unsustainable in the first act.  We’ve been in shit, but only ankle-deep.  The next wave hits EVERYBODY where it hurts: Our money.  We don’t have enough and what we do have is going to be worth less, if not worthless.  Stocks are going to take a major hit, companies are going to tighten their belts, and more.  This is all coming about because we built everything on crap and let our “leaders” get away with mortgaging our future with insane entitlements, limitless wars, and low taxes.    Well, welcome to the future.

Emigration isn’t an option for me and I’m not really jazzed about the idea of joining up with some asshole warlord in Civil War Episode II: Attack of the Self-Entitled Douchebags.  If you’re good with all that, then go ahead and start digging your bunker and just start waiting.  I don’t care.

The Democrats are not up to the task of handling what’s happening and frankly, I don’t think the GOP was either.  It’s too late and I think this is one of those disasters of American history that just has to happen before we can move on, like Pearl Harbor (the actual event, not the film).  I don’t know how else we break our bad habits without imposed austerity.

Now, plenty of pundits and politicians are getting their silly asses on television talking about how we need to change this and that.  Stop apologizing for rape, let the Mexicans run wild, and admit that the wage gap is deliberately caused by evil, stinky men instead of market forces.  If you want to keep going for the two party system of Democrat and Democrat-lite, that’s a personal choice.  I don’t think we need to go that far.

It is time to compromise though.  I still don’t know how to work out a “peace accord”, but I do know that we can call a truce and take the time to retrench without retreating

First, taxes must go up on high earners.  We have to give that away and I see no way we win the Battle of Fiscal Cliff without some casualties.  Coddling the rich isn’t doing us any good if they can’t even buy a Romney presidency.   It’s totally symbolic, it’s not going to help the deficit or jobs, and it’s against our beliefs.  Too bad.  We’re taking a break from worshipping the wealthy while the American people enjoy having their demagogues to spread the wealth pain around.  I still think letting all of the Bush tax cuts expire is fitting, but we should “let” the Democrats talk us out of it if they throw in something worthwhile.

Second, it’s time to end the War in Afghanistan and reduce and reorient the military to stick with what it has done best since the 19th Century: Defend North America.  Yeah, I’m going all Pat Buchanan on this.  Israel: I am really and truly sorry.  But if we’re really heading into a Civil War, it would probably be better to have our guys back here, right?

Next, let’s bite our tongues when the President takes full credit for the deal.  Let him have this last big fuckin’ deal.  I think Boehner sucks, you do too, but lets go easy on him this one time.

The unsustainability of Medicare, Social Security, and ObamaCare is not going to be seriously addressed or resolved by the federal government at this time.  Everything I’m proposing here is with the assumption that it won’t.  We get to watch and let the Democrats totally own the disaster.  When it’s time for them to give some things up and save what’s left of the Obama legacy, they’ll know.

The one issue I don’t think we should compromise on is any immigration reform that requires amnesty for those already living here.  I think America’s natural xenophobia will kick back in as those lettuce-picking jobs start looking better and better as the unemployment starts to dry up.  Be patient on this one.

MOST CONTROVERSIAL THRILL ARGUMENT EVER, COMING RIGHT UP.

Finally, screw the Constitution of the United States of America.   I think it’s time we all acknowledged that the Constitution needs a redo.  It is failing us and the American people clearly don’t believe in it or care anymore except when they want to cherry-pick one amendment or another to suit their causes.   It is almost a dead fucking letter and there are no longer any peaceful means of binding our current government back to it.

You want to scare the hell out of the DC establishment?  It’s time to call for a Constitutional Convention, through the states.  They laugh at your pathetic secession petitions but they’ll stop laughing and choke when they realize that we’re about to change the rules to fuck them over.  This isn’t a temper tantrum.  It’s a cold, dead-eyed threat of a long-term solution.  Start demanding this at every turn.  Americans are going to love the idea soon enough, if the doomsayers are right.

Conservatives and progressives simply do not agree on what kind of country we should be and what the Constitution means and independents in the middle are too brain-dead and disengaged to care.  We’re not going anywhere as a people until we firmly establish a new concept of the relationship between the federal government, the states, and the people.   Our government cannot do it at this point.

The Culture Wars were driven by the Supreme Court making these decisions for us and they’ve done an awful job.  They’re completely unpredictable and they barely even use the Constitution as the basis for rulings anymore.  Congress has ignored its fiscal duties and its members serve to benefit themselves.  The Presidency is imperial in everything but name.  Whole industries are crippled with executive orders and psychotic bureaucrats.  This has to stop.  We need to accept that the old Constitution has done nothing to restrain all three out-of-control branches of government and quit acting like the Founding Fathers were flawless gods.   What they created was beautiful, but it isn’t working anymore.

We stop the Right Wing Meltdown.   The game is still on and what is happening in Congress is everything right now (even though the Petraeus thing is the most awesome scandal of my lifetime).  My advice is to comment on the Jonestown Blogs that the histrionics are done and it’s time for a Constitutional Convention.  Start getting that into the public consciousness now.

I’ve been preaching the importance of staying on task ever since last Tuesday’s electoral calamity.  This isn’t because of my sunny disposition or optimistic outlook.  I have neither.  It’s because the United States needs a vibrant pro-Liberty movement and we’re it.

No more embarrassing theatrics.  Do it FOR THE CHIIIIIIILDREN, you bastards.

I invite all denunciations and mental health referrals.   Sometimes, you just gotta rant.

1 ping

OK obviously we disagree on the “battle tactic” of using secession of 20 + states as a bargaining chip so I’ll agree to disagree. But…

Throwing out the original constitution, yanno the one before all of the progressive tweaks and changes? Seems, to me at least, a bit melodramatic. May I suggest start with the Bill of Rights, fully define what the 4th and 10th amendments mean and then see about 11-28.

Still not sure it will work by going back to basics with the founding fathers copy but these words of de Tocqueville have me convinced your suggestion will never work.

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations has been 200 years.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

No taxee no votee! In that direction a true discussion may occur.

Becoming more of a republic, not less of one, is where I will cast my lot.

2. Miguelito says:

The Constitution has NOT failed us. We, as a nation, have failed to follow it. That is the problem.

I also laugh at the idea of a new constitutional convention. You really don’t think that the massive labor unions and their dem buddies won’t find a way to steer a lot of things their way? Hell, they’ll get things like universal healthcare, social justice and all that shit in there, then we’re totally screwed. You can’t try to stop things as unconstitutional if they get it right in there in black and white.

I like your thinking and we can go the same path on this. The government will let just about any amendment pass if it will head off a CC.

Becoming more of a republic, not less of one, is where I will cast my lot.

We won’t get that with the current Constitution. You might not even get that with secession.

For those of you expecting (wanting) the worst, civil war and all that, do you understand that someone is going to win and some kind of government will rise again? Might as well start thinking about what you want now.

It is a flawed document (nothing created by people is perfect) and it allowed for all of this. We have got to get past this romantic idea that the Constitution can be restored.

I say, let them try it. The odds are equal that we get our way.

If you want to continue watching the nation decay under the current Constitution because you think that somehow, it could be worse, I don’t know what to tell you. The very word “unconstitutional” is becoming meaningless.

And do what exactly? Write another one? Thrill are you mindful of how perverted the original has become? Not to mention by whom.

The very word “unconstitutional” is becoming meaningless.

And has been for some time

Do you not understand a battle tactic as opposed to a battle plan? Do you really see anyone here, myself included, that expects any state to succeed?

Thrill are you mindful of how perverted the original has become?

Is it? Weren’t there weaknesses baked right into the cake from the beginning though? Not just things that we’ve since amended away, but can we say that the Supreme Court is too powerful and was bound to get out of hand at some point? Jefferson thought so, for the record.

Then tell me what you want. I’m not seeing anything but “send a message”. What is the plan besides “Get the WH to say, uh, that secession is stupid! Yeah!” I’m telling you what will send a message and scare the crap out of the government. How in the world is that less valid than signing an online petition for no other reason than to make some poor bastard in the WH have to write an essay on why your state can’t secede?

I’ve thought about this and I’ve come to the conclusion that the Constitution itself is the problem. My plan is to remake it. What’s yours? Petition spam? Send 100 pizzas to the WH?

I stand with de Tocqueville and Miguelito. Welfare queens and union thugs will write your new constitution. Then what? Secession, another convention?

Your W-2 will be the new voter ID once “I” am king. opps!

8. balthazar says:

Im just in the mode of “Fuck it, I’m going to look after me and mine.”

More guns, more ammo, more food, more water.

Done.

The Constitution we have already has already allowed everything you two are threatening is going to happen. I have to conclude that if you have no plan beyond talking about secession, then you’re just rooting for a collapse. “Let it burn” and all that.

It’s the Right Wing despair doing this. Do you really think that everything was going to be all better if Romney were holding the bag of shit right now? This is all bigger than the Presidency.

We’re at a crossroads in our identity here, as I see it. This is no different than when the Constitution and the federal government carried us right into the (first?) Civil War. The Constitution explicitly allowed slavery. Lincoln said he wouldn’t outlaw it, once elected. Congress maintained the Fugitive Slave Act. The Supreme Court ruled that slavery couldn’t be limited in the territories. Despite having the weight of the government on its side, the South seceded anyway. They knew it couldn’t last as long as the country could not agree on whether to be “a house divided.”

It took a Civil War and two Constitutional amendments to straighten out. When it was over, the federal government was all-powerful.

I’m saying that we’re a house divided now and it’s because we fundamentally disagree on what the US is as the Constitution lays it out. Those of you who are rolling the dice on chaos think that it’s going to end up perfectly okay.

We can get a good outcome from this or at least minimize the damage the other side throws out. The GOP controls statehouses and/or governorships in a slight majority of states. We don’t have to accept whatever lunacy the progressives try to insert in there. Neither side can get the sufficient votes for ratification without keeping the craziest ideas out.

I think we have a responsibility to stop the chaos by working out a new Constitution among the states, or we are a generation of fools for letting the slide continue. If I’m wrong, I’d love to see some alternatives here.

balthazar says:

November 14, 2012 8:00 am at 8:00 am (UTC -5) | Edit comment

That is exactly what I’m talking about. I’m not condemning you guys, but we have to shake this off. If you want to take care of yourselves and your families, do something to stop the slide. We deserve better than a food and ammo based economy.

Top headline on Drudge now:

SECESSION MOVEMENT EXPLODES

I hope the history books are going to be nicer to us than we are to ourselves.

SECESSION MOVEMENT EXPLODES

My history buff buddy that bailed on Seattle a year ago+ fully predicted this to happen. He also expects a shooting war to break out when the feds order the military to turn on the citizenry, total collapse of the economy (with a return to gold, silver and “local script”), and a lot of dead liberals at the hands of “local militia” that will form to protect neighborhoods and larger regions (armed by what used to be the local national guard).

He sees the “fiscal cliff” as the beginning of the 2nd civil war.

He sees the “fiscal cliff” as the beginning of the 2nd civil war.

It absolutely could be so. What I worry about is that we seem to be talking ourselves into it. It doesn’t have to go like this. The fatalistic acceptance of it all is phenomenal.

I suspect that the idea will start to gain steam when the unsustainable blue states start demanding bailouts. I can’t think of any specific scenarios though.

No, it can’t be so. Let’s come to grips, shall we? A few nutters have signed a couple of petitions, and together with people who have signed them for comical relief, they have succeeded in creating headlines. Part of it is funny, part of it is sad, but none of it serious.

There were/are differences between Romney and Obama but let’s not kid ourselves on their importance. This wasn’t Stalin vs. Anarchy. This was an election between two major party candidates, which all but made sure that it was between “big government” and “slightly bigger government”. You live in a mixed economy, acknowledge it and move on. Try using the next election to slightly reduce the size of the government, since that’s what it is all about. I’d argue that it always have been, but who cares really? It’s certainly been the case since the end of the civil war.

The fight over principles is over, now, fight the specifics. Which taxes should go down/up and with how many points? Which entitlements need reform, and how so?

Cheer up, guys!

I don’t see why you’re all so upset, I’m looking at the figures and break down of the election, and I don’t see why some, not all by far, but some are acting like chicken littles. Things are gonna be horrible the next four years but that doesn’t mean the Republicans or the conservative movement need to change themselves much, other than the obvious purging of lunatics from their ranks (that doesn’t mean purging everyone who might be a social conservative, just the retarded ones). All I see is a twisted president who efficiently cobbled together a brain washed collation. I see hundreds of thousands of conservatives and right-wingers who haven’t voted since Bush.

Why on earth any one is melting I don’t know. The GOP has some growing up to do but that’s basically getting rid of the uber social-conservative and getting rid of the corporatists.

Your main concern is fighting the culture war and taking the fight to the enemy.

(And again, HOW DID YOU NOT KNOW OBAMA WAS GOING TO WIN!!? If this Brit can call it a year ago, why are so many right-wingers around here so shocked that Obama won! This was entirely obvious. You have to FIGHT the culture war.)

This really is one of the strangest times in all the years I’ve read RTFLC. I’m consistently seeing our overseas readers offering sobriety about our future while the American conservatives are all but pronouncing the death of America and the inevitability of anarchy.

I agree that we’re in trouble and that the federal government as it is now can’t be trusted to fix this, but we have to find a real solution based on talking it out with the people who disagree with us. I’m proposing working it out through the states instead of hoarding emergency supplies and I’m being called unrealistic.

Oh no, don’t get me wrong. America is probably dead now, if by dead, you mean European. You’ll join the ranks of your average right-wingers in Europe who have simply learned to keep his mouth shut and his crazy ideas of freedom and capitalism to himself. You’ll become a silent majority. Your culture will slip even faster towards the default of statism.

But I’ll call your next election for you. 2016, whoever is the GOP nominee will win it. There you go. But little of the damage that will be done in the next four years will be undone. The chances are you will have a single-payer healthcare system by 2028 unless the GOP admits the american healthcare system is broken and provides a sensible alternative.

Here’s a metaphor of your election: Obama managed to unite various tribes through fear and the myth of a common enemy, his barons managed to poison the water supply of his opponents; Obama then promised his army of disjointed tribes the spoils of their defeated enemies. Obama’s enemies then divided themselves into two camps, despite having similar agendas, and one camp didn’t bother to turn up to the battle. General Obama was a master tactician and defeated the army that did bother to turn up – taking the field.

So you think that this election does indicate that the US is now a center-left nation and possibly trending that way? I can’t really discount that since you correctly predicted the outcome of the election and I did not, but is that what the polls are showing?

19. balthazar says:

I’ve tried, people dont care, will they when the shit hits the fan? Yes.

Will I use resources that my family needs to help them? Hell fucking no. You wanted this, you got it.

So you think that this election does indicate that the US is now a center-left nation and possibly trending that way? … The Culture Wars are over and some issues have been settled in the Left’s favor (I’ll post on this later), but I don’t think you can say American’s have chosen the European model just based on the fact that Obama was re-elected with fewer votes than 2008.

I don’t think the US is a centre left nation, nor do I think are many European nations if you talk about the average joe. I did speak of a silent majority above. I will always argue the natural default of an educated human, when he is left unmolested by overbearing propaganda, is centre-right. I said elsewhere that I predicted an Obama win because of the type of campaign he was fighting.

I think the damage done by Obama and the increased power distribution (the ability to influence and move people to the ballots) will be hard to break and that the left have solidified their position in your country. I don’t think Americans have chosen anything – but I think those Americans who have the power to move your country and culture have chosen the direction for your country. Voter turnout is pathetic in the UK and I suspect it is low in many other EU countries as well: majority consent is irrelevant. Do you think the majority of any country wants all your universities to be filled with left-wing professors filling your nation’s top characters with absolute nonsense?

I don’t think most Brits have chosen to live in a socialistic country, but have long had their will sapped out of them. I think that is the future of your country.

I had the honour of meeting Yaron Brook (of the Ayn Rand Institute) this year and he said to me that the only way to really win the this – all of it – is to get into the universities and balance things out. One professor at a time.

The purpose of a university is to create a ruling class, whether you like it or not (and yes, private sector CEOs etc still hold power, and count as such). These are the people who will always be influencing others. You have to get into the universities – and all education for the matter. One professor at a time.

You have to differentiate between a real liberal and a liberal who has merely taken on the label and liberal views because that’s what popular culture demands of her/him. In America and Britain REAL liberals are by far a minority – they just happen to be very good at getting into power and positions where they can influence the culture (cultural marxism).

21. ilovecress says:

I think this ‘overseas readers’ thing is because we don’t really see Obama as that much of a leftist. I’m with Kim – if the election had gone the other way, I’m not sure what would have been hugely different. Economically you’re in a recession, and we can argue about who is going to get you out of it more quickly, but you will get out of it. You already live in a socialistic country, the argument is about how much, and where the line is drawn. I’ll give you that Obamacare is a pretty big swing to the left, but I wouldn’t worry about being fitted for your regulation jump suits just yet.

So how are you going to win in 4 years? (I think you will anyway, but whatever) Stop being so tribally republican. From where I see it (and admittedly it’s far away) the party is hamstrung by its own internal politics. Paul Ryan has valuable economic views (I don’t agree, but I respect them) – but he can’t talk about them because, you know, rape babies. “Never raise taxes” is a position that paints you into a corner, but “taxes are too high right now” gives you space to sell a solution. Stamping your feet about Obamacare meant you ‘lost’ the debate (even though it was basically a 90s republican plan) when you could have been the ones who kept us away from single payer, and kept the business in the free(ish) market. Also, Donald Trump.

You guys I know don’t give a sh*t about Donald Trump, so why let him speak for you just because he has an R next to his name? And on social issues – it’s not that you’re going to lose on them, it’s that unless you win every single one, it’ll hurt you in the places that are really important (jobs jobs jobs, remember?) Make Republican politicians work for your vote – make them court you. Support state politicians (whatever party) who are doing things economically you like (which means forgiving Chris Christie), and stop worrying so much about winning the next election – or rather beating the Dems in the next election.

It seems to me (caveats etc etc) that the goal of the Republican party has been to stop Obama from being re elected. They lost. But what that means is that they can stop worrying about Obama being re elected, and concentrate on coming up with plans to allow more Americans liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Leave Obama to it until the midterms, and spend that time becoming the party of the economy, the party of Math.

*The views expressed in this comment are not necessarily those of the RTFTLC management, and may express views of a foreign leftist nature , and therefore should be disregarded. It’s probably the medias fault anyway.

I’m working on a post on this subject. There seems to be a bit of a schism right now in the conservative movement between people who want to run for the hills and people who want to make the best of the current situation.

I think this was inevitable. The only thing that defined conservatism for the last eight years was a dislike of all things Democrat. It takes time to rebuild a movement. But I think it will happen and will happen faster than we think. We simply can’t afford to run around like chickens with our heads cut off.

Really need to come up with a collective name for you guys. Cress Kids?

24. West Virginia Rebel says:

We’ve had worse than Obama. And we’ve had worse hard times. Shoot, before the Great Depression panics and depressions were actually commonplace.

We’re not headed for Civil War 2. If Colorado, Washington and the states that voted for gay marriage are any indication, I hope we’re headed for a more, dare I say, libertarian society as a whole. This, too, is a reaction to both Obama and the nannystaters on both the right and the left. The Culture Wars are over. This is a transitional period in American history, but it’s not the Apocalypse.
    West Virginia Rebel recently posted..Mother’s Choice?My Profile

25. ilovecress says:

Really need to come up with a collective name for you guys. Cress Kids?

It’s been ‘libtards’ since 2003, why change a winning formula?

It leaves Poosh out. And I’m trying to be nice to you liberal shits.

We’ve had worse than Obama.

Only one I can think of is King George, and he wasn’t technically a president, although Obama thinks he is a king or emperor. And no, not the one that makes the leftists get their panties all in a bunch, but the one that pissed of the people that created this once great nation.

Poosh,
    That paragraph caused me to weep bitter tears. Only because it has the ring of truth in it. At this juncture I might even consider a “Clower-Piven” type solution. That at least would be preferable to the Agenda #23 the collectivist have planned for US.

Thrill,
    You know and I know that no one here @ RTFTLC is counting on this whole secession ‘thang’ to be more than a saber-rattle to get a reaction. So to imply other-wise makes one wonder if there might be a malfunctioning vaginal opening driving this dialog.
    I’m sure I’m probably seeing this wrong and if so I apologize up front buddy!

I’m not trying to say that you think the petition thing is serious as an attempt to actually secede, no. And I get that you think it’s great because it’s a good way to give the finger to Obama on his official website to express the dissatisfaction we have. That part, you can be sure I do not misunderstand.

We just have to have something to go for besides just stockpiling MRE’s and ammo, then sitting down with our fingers in our ears, waiting for the end. It’s not good for us to think like this.

It’s the fatalism and defeatism I want to see stop already. Nothing more.

FWIW, the only time my fingers go in my ears is to dig the wax and/or bugs out. But on Oct. 28th 1966 I took an oath to “defend my country against all enemies foreign and domestic”. There is no expiration date on that oath. I won’t hide in a cabin in the woods, but I do have one if it ever came to that.
    Semper Fi and Be Prepared is what I’m operating on for now. In fact I’ll be cutting fire wood this weekend, that and trying not to kill myself with a bow. (scissors and bows weren’t meant for left-handed people). If I had lived in Sherwood Forest I’d have starved to death.

31. HARLEY says:

You old Panzy.. over come and adapt,i have done that
    Left handed and proud of it.. pretty much the only thing i cant do right handed is write…. oh god its horrible…

32. balthazar says:

Semper Fi, fellow Devil Dog and happy belated birthday.

I took the same oath, like you I will be prepared, Im not hiding, just not going to care about, or even bother to try an educate fucking idiots anymore.

Ha HA HA for some reason I knew you were a southpaw too. My archery skill have room for lots of improvement.
    I have a crossbow pistol that I terrorize the squirrels with tho. Never hit one but they jump straight up about 5 feet and chatter like hell afterwards. Sadly they still eat my pecans.

balthazar.
    In retrospect you DO have the demeanor of a leather neck. Happy Birthday to you too.

Yep, head down and eyes open.

Here’s a confusing question I hope people can answer though I suspect the answer is “Romney wasn’t right wing enough and he was not trusted” but then again…

WHY does New Hampshire vote Democrat? Isn’t it like a boarderline right-wing utopia !?

A decade ago, yes. Now NH is swamped by retirees from NY, CT, and MA – hard core leftists – and displaced people from NE that got pissed at the broken government of their previous home states, never realizing that these governments are broken because they are stupid left wing ones. Both groups bring their hard core liberal bullshit to NH. In another decade it will be just as broken and shitty as your average New England state, and all these people will wonder how the fook that happened.

But .. .New Hampshire was my “back up plan” :( *Sigh*

38. balthazar says:

NH have been taken over by Massholes. Well just the extreme souther part of it anyway. They moved there because of the lack of income taxes and they still work around boston.

39. HARLEY says:

got one of those too. lots of fun, just dont shoot the neighbors cat….

40. balthazar says:

just dont shoot the neighbors cat….

But they make such a tuogher target if your looking to improve…

1. The Right Wing Meltdown: Knock It Off » Right Thinking | Universal Health Care Advice says:

[...] from: The Right Wing Meltdown: Knock It Off » Right Thinking ← Does America Really Want Change? | the Health Care [...]