Hey Mr DJ: Revival Edition

BROTHERS AND SISTAS-AH! We have been fed an undercooked shit sandwich on ciabatta this week. As our nation slips further into the Great Devaluation, remember that this is the United States of America. We have overcome worse than the bumbling ineptitude of our current government.

At some point, we can undo the damage and restore Liberty, even if it takes the rest of our lives. The pro-freedom movement of conservatives and libertarians will examine its faults, sweep away what drags it down, and prove that it is the ONLY choice for guaranteeing prosperity. It doesn’t seem obvious today, but the only way we lose is if we quit.

Reaffirm what you know to be true and remember that nobody can take that away no matter how many how many executive orders the president makes.

The weekly Friday music threads were started around 5 years ago here on RTFLC by Manwhore. When we left, we took it with us and refined it. For those not familiar with the concept, we post music consistent with the theme (or whatever we feel like posting) until we get too bored/drunk to continue.

The embedded video is a playlist. As you post your links in the comments, I add them all to the playlist in the top post. Don’t get put off or intimidated by some people’s weird selections either. This is all about everybody, alright?

It’s time to revive something good. This week, let’s have any of the below:

1. Music that cheers you up (you’ve had all day Wednesday and Thursday to mope)
2. Patriotic music
3. Music from a better time, such as the Reagan years
4. Music of finding someone or something that was thought lost
5. Whatever you want that expresses how you’re doing. Perhaps someone still needs a bit of catharsis

Before I begin, I would like to take a moment to acknowledge Kimpost, CM, and the other left-of-center members for their graciousness in victory. You guys take a lot of abuse here and you had every right to kick us while we were down but you didn’t. You showed class and that is not a term I throw around lightly except to note how it’s largely missing from our culture. I, for one, will not forget it. So the first song is dedicated to you infidels (wouldn’t be a revival if we didn’t invite the sinners to stand up and be counted):

This is what we have now:

The Outsiders by The Doves
All These Things that I’ve Done by The Killers
Starlight by Muse
Save the Day by The Living End
Shadow on the Sun by Soundgarden Audioslave
The Wanderer by Johnny Cash and U2
Lithium by Nirvana

One more before I head out:

Young Americans by David Bowie

Something about:

Do you remember, your President Nixon?
    Do you remember, the bills you have to pay
    Or even yesterday?

…is appropriate this week.

2. TxAg94 says:

Seems odd to have the last song from a guy who, in his end, was an absolute pussy, shoved a gun in his mouth, and killed himself…

A valid point and I do appreciate the chance to bathe in some irony. But the selections are based on the music, not the personal failings of the artists. Most of them are also flaming liberals (except arguably for the late Johnny Cash).

The Devil has the best tunes, after all…

4. working_man says:

Speaking of irony, this song always makes me feel good when I hear it. I am a Powerpop junkie….

The Grays – Very Best Years

And, by the way Thrill – I really missed the Hey Mr. DJ threads…thanks for the revival

I’m happy to do it. I always found that no matter how rough the arguments got or how much the news of the week annoyed and depressed us, the music threads helped it melt away.

Quick note: Your selections won’t start getting added to the playlist until after 5PM CST. YouTube is blocked where I am. :(

6. thelastdakrat says:

I’ll go with patriotic. This is a version of the Star Spangled Banner I thought was cool.

Dakrat! Now everything is going according to plan. <a href="going according ” target=”_blank”>Here you go.

Hmm. Link trouble. No matter.

9. HARLEY says:

mmm patriotic… Let me once again post The Band ..ICED EARTH and their heavy metal tribute tot eh battle of Gettysburg.
    [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M155Er6PFz0&w=420&h=315

Also:
    Johnny Cash’s: Gods gonna cut you down Set to Magpul shooting drills
    [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcT1mw0i4fE&w=560&h=315

A Aussie Band that has that AC/DC sound . Airbourne.
    [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkMZ6fV3T_0&w=560&h=315

My dear, sweet pfluffy. You can lurk, but you can’t hide:

Welcome to the Fold by Filter

Johnny Cash’s: Gods gonna cut you down

Always in my top 3 of most badass songs evar.

Can’t get enough of Firewater lately. Perfect sound for this thread.

Knock em Down

Ocean Avenue by Yellowcard

All Arise! by the Decemberists

Well, here’s a national anthem of sorts.

14. repmom says:

Where is pfluffy? She definitely needs to return, even if she is liberal. And beano. Hope she is well.

I still keep in touch with pfluffy. I’ll pass on your regards. Don’t know about beano.

16. repmom says:

Please do, thrill. Thanks.

17. pfluffy says:

Thank you, Thrill, for welcoming me back and repmom for remembering me. You guys are sounding a little crazy right now. Breathe, it will all work in the end.

18. repmom says:

Welcome, back. Hope you hang around.

Not crazy, just trying to hang in there. Work out in the end? God, I hope so. :)

19. HARLEY says:

Welcome back to the mad house.

20. pfluffy says:

Thank you for such a warm welcome :).

Have I played this one recently? Best mix of 80′s and 90′s music in history.

Blue Monday by Orgy

Just an FYI everyone: pfluffy = flogg.

23. pfluffy says:

Thanks for clearing that up, Thrill. I couldn’t remember my prior creds.

I’ll go with this one. The fiscal cliff – it’s just a matter of time…

25. HARLEY says:

a couple more
    When i want to get my REDNECK on.. Three Shades of Black. Hank III [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkzSyvCl9ic&w=420&h=315

A little megadeath… Set me free!
    [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn01nSG4cvU&w=560&h=315

Alice in Chains Rooster.
    [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAE6Il6OTcs&w=420&h=315

….into the Twilight Zone!
    [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBkyeCCNJTA&w=420&h=315

HA! I was just about to call you out and ask for some Black Keys, CM. Welcome to the party.

Got one for you:

Dust Bowl Dance by Mumford and Sons

Best song they have, IMO.

And just to keep the pretense that everything here is always sweet and rosy, and always has been….a true Kiwi classic….

28. pfluffy says:

I love that one, Thrill. Reminded me of this one, which is apropos with the “fiscal cliff” theme.

29. Santino says:

pfluffy!!!!! I was just thinking about you. I’m going to be in Atlanta again for Thanksgiving.

A little megadeath… Set me free!

A Tout le Monde! Brilliant. Haven’t heard in awhile. Nice.

31. pfluffy says:

That’s awesome, Santino !!! If you have extra time, get in touch :) ..

32. Santino says:

Best mix of 80′s and 90′s music in history.

I’ve found that the older I get the more I appreciate The Cure. I wasn’t into them in their heyday, but Robert Smtih has grown on me.

Here is a cover of a Platinum Blonde song, with Smith on vocals.

Not In Love

And All of This- Blink 182 and Smith

A little something special for pfluffy.

And as immigration is in the news……

Tonight I am feeling for you
    Under the state of a strange land
    You have sacrificed much to be here
    There but for grace as I offer my hand
    Welcome home, I bid you welcome, I bid you welcome
    Welcome home from the bottom of my heart

Out here on the edge
    The empire is fading by the day
    And the world is so weary in war
    Maybe we’ll find that new way

So welcome home, see I made a space for you now
    Welcome home from the bottom of our heart
    Welcome home from the bottom of our hearts
    Keep it coming now – keep it coming now
    You’ll find most of us here with our hearts wide open
    Keep it coming now – keep on coming now
    Keep it coming now – keep on coming now

There’s a woman with her hands trembling…Haere Mai
    And she sings with a mountain’s memory…Haere Mai

There’s a cloud the full length of these isles
    Just playing chase with the sun
    And it’s black and it’s white and it’s wild
    All the colours are one

So welcome home, I bid you welcome, I bid you welcome
    Welcome home from the bottom of our hearts
    Welcome home, see I made a space for you now
    Welcome home from the bottom of our hearts
    From the bottom of our hearts

I really do like that concept of welcoming new people as if they are already home.
    Most of this is filmed within 10 minutes of my house….my son’s school is featured, and Dave walks past our local shops. This was released just as we moved home after nearly 5 years on the other side of the world…..so, yeah, anyway it’s pretty special in this house. How do you say it – ‘That damned dust in my eye again’ ;-)

34. Santino says:

How about Apocolypse Now – Muse?

I’m really digging on Take A Walk by Passion Pit. It’s somewhat apropos (but mostly I really like this song).

Honey it’s your son I think I borrowed just too much
    We had taxes we had bills
    We had a lifestyle to front
    And tonight I swear I’ll come home
    And we’ll make love like we’re young
    And tomorrow you’ll cook dinner
    For the neighbors and their kids
    We could rip apart those socialists
    and all their damn taxes
    You’ll see I am no criminal
    I’m down on both bad knees
    I’m just too much a coward
    to admit when I’m in need

This thread’s moving fast. Got the playlist updated to Santino at 9:16, but some tracks are out of order.

I’ve found that the older I get the more I appreciate The Cure.

CUUUUURRRRRE COOOOOMMMMMBOOOOO!!!!!

Killing an Arab

Friday I’m in Love

Of course, it stands to reason that anyone who appreciates the Cure…

Pretty in Pink by Psychedelic Furs

Since we need to catch up, here’s some stuff I have on my mp3 player now that you might like, Santino:

Freedom at 21 by Jack White

The Killing Moon by Echo and the Bunnymen

Lemon Scent
    by Dead Sara

Still feeling a little redneck-y

wanting good to triumph over bad in the final duel

wanting good to triumph over bad in the final duel

Punk. Rock. Abilly.

39. working_man says:

wow – this thread is really going back to the future

pfluffly – long time no see! I am shocked no Nick Cave songs…

And today it’s like We’re all living in Amerika

I yearn for tomorrow to be more of this

Thrill it might be best to ban me from musical post. My tastes are best described as bizarre.
    Doo Wop to Dr. Hook weird

wow – this thread is really going back to the future

I love that song, love that movie. VERY well played.

Thrill it might be best to ban me from musical post.

Hell, no. You let that freak flag FLY.

MY, your Mojo Nixon song made me think of this:

Punk Rock Girl by The Dead Milkmen

44. working_man says:

Can’t go wrong with Huey Lewis….

How about some Peter Gabriel, working man?

Big Time

46. West Virginia Rebel says:

Freedom at Point Zero

In America

Don’t Give Up
    West Virginia Rebel recently posted..Opening The GatesMy Profile

47. working_man says:

Blowing off steam feels really good. Thanks.

So this song seems to fit pretty well – yeah, yeah I’m stuck in the 80s…is that so wrong?

48. working_man says:

How about some Peter Gabriel, working man?

Oh, hell yes! Saw this original tour….fantastic!

Enough of The Black Keys, how about The Black Seeds (which includes Bret McKenzie from Flight of the Conchords)….

Weird. WVR and I had Peter Gabriel on the brain at the exact same moment.

Nice.

In a similar vein, last week this won NZ Single of the Year (and Best Group, and Peoples’ Choice Award, and Highest selling New Zealand Single and Highest selling New Zealand Album and Radio Airplay Record of the Year).

Inspired by the vibrant culture of soul, rock and bass-heavy electronica that defined late 1990s student life in Dunedin, they began jamming in their flat at 660 Castle Street. Bedroom practices quickly became small living room concerts for friends and family, which led them to playing flat-warmings, parties and eventually local bars.

yeah, yeah I’m stuck in the 80s…is that so wrong?

Only as long as we don’t get rickrolled……………Oh, who am I kidding? I like that song.

The Promise

Loving this thread, I’ll be making sure to check out every single video posted (especially those I don’t know). :-)

how about The Black Seeds

I think it was Santino who introduced me to these guys:

Young Men Dead by The Black Angels

55. working_man says:

Johnny Lydon sums up my entire life in a song.…..

Probably my favorite song evah, definitely my favorite Dr. Hook song (and I have every one)

And if you’re feeling a little unclean

Just go straight through on the embedded playlist in the original playlist, CM. I got some of the VO’s old playlists saved too, if anyone is interested.

58. Santino says:

Pretty in Pink by Psychedelic Furs

I think I’ve brought up Interpol before. I see them as the P Furs on steroids, or at least some kind of performance enhancing drugs. Slow Hands

Freedom at 21 by Jack White

Only one word to describe Jack White, BRILLIANT.

Since we need to catch up, here’s some stuff I have on my mp3 player

Do you have the latest Silversun Pickups? Bloody Mary (Nerve Endings)

I’ve been more into the mellow stuff lately.

Chapel Song – We Are Augustines

We Don’t Sleep Tonight – Young Empires

Still feeling a little redneck-y

Play some Skynyrd man!

Dakrat! Where have you gone?

I better throw out some bait.

60. working_man says:

The Promise

talk about well played…on both counts

I do have to say that this is the way I felt on Wednesday morning….I suppose a little less so today..

Wow, very cool Thrill.
    At least it is until Kimpost arrives with his Ace of Base. ;-)

62. working_man says:

Okay – so this is the last song I ever want to hear before I die…it makes my soul hurt…in a good way

the studio version is pure magic

Do you have the latest Silversun Pickups?

No! Our local alt rock station has been playing that track, but I haven’t downloaded the album yet. No excuse.

You like the mellow stuff, eh? Surely you appreciate Gotye?

Smoke and Mirrors

64. Santino says:

I don’t think anyone could beat Stogy on the bizarre scale.

Punk Rock Girl by The Dead Milkmen

“and someone played a Beach Boys song on the juke box it was California dreaming…”

I had to do a double take on that line, thinking WTF, that’s a Mamas and Papas song. Well,

waddya know.

Okay, lots of songs to catch up on. Great return thread!

God, I wish we could have it like this every week. We definitely have hit our stride tonight, so far.

Candy by Iggy Pop

I don’t think anyone could beat Stogy on the bizarre scale.

Ha ha! I forgot about that. Yeah, that guy was esoteric.

Barry McGuire Eve Of Destruction Live Hullabaloo 1965 Some of it is still pertinent today

And of course I must play some blues

MY and Santino. A two-fer.

Dream a Little Dream of Me

No auto-tune in sight. They don’t make women like that anymore.

69. Biggie G says:

I’m going to go for one of each:

1. [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBZgHVXGyBg&w=560&h=315

When I first heard this song, I thought they used some old black souls singer for the vocals and did a remix. It’s a little creepier this way, but it still makes me happy.

2. [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y07tqk4GAGc&w=560&h=315

I’m not too big a fan of newer “patriotic” music. I’m actually playing trombone with the guys in the white helmets.

3. [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjggFlKLP5E&w=420&h=315

Nothing political about this being a better time. I am really getting into 60′s soul. I think that I need to turn in my black t-shirts.

4. [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LDTOELWKts&w=560&h=315

5. [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NWjehpGSO0&w=420&h=315

Oh man, Candy = genius, Black Velvet = genius.

Someone included a Filter song earlier, this is one which I listen to every so often and then can’t stop for weeks.

‘Hey Dad, what do you think about your son now?”

His Dad apparently wasn’t too happy about that line.

71. Santino says:

You’re not the only one.

Oh, who am I kidding? I like that song.

Man it’s good to have you back Thrill. You constantly have me lol’ing :)

The Promise

I’ll try to one-up you. If I Was

Fuck, Tears For Fears, When In Rome, Rick Astley… I fear we may be blowing our load a little early. Maybe it’s just because it’s been a while since we’ve have one of these threads. I’ll just chalk it up to blue balls.

Oh, Hell, yes. Awesome choice, Biggie. REALLY awesome, even.

That is a powerful musical genre. I’ve been increasingly into psychedalia though. Blame pfluffy.

Social Distortion! Oh! Oh! Ball and Chain!

OOOOOOH!

You found one of my weaknesses, Biggie. GREAT list.

‘Hey Dad, what do you think about your son now?”

I hear a lot of people talk shit on that song and it bugs me. It’s a very deep and meaningful song. I’ve always liked it. Don’t understand where the criticism comes from.

Can we all agree that the greatest voice of the 80′s belonged to Annie Lennox?

Here Comes the Rain Again

If y’all watch videos as well as listen to the music in the Post MTV World then you may find this amusing. It’s how I’d rather end up than say in a cave.

Six East Berliners make it big, for real

Nice job with Neon Trees and Midge Ure. I didn’t recognize either one.

77. Biggie G says:

Why don’t the videos embed when I post the comment? They are there when I preview.

I’ve had the same issue. Can somebody help us out???

79. Biggie G says:

You’ll appreciate that electric Guest song even more if you search for Katie Sunshine on YouTube.

A bluegrass cover of a hip hop song

And an American version of a Japanese classic

Priceless. On par with this:

Boyz in the Hood by Dynamite Hack

Biggie G thank you for Bobby Bland. I’m gonna go check him out

83. West Virginia Rebel says:

this song is still relevant…
    West Virginia Rebel recently posted..Pay More, Lose MoreMy Profile

Last one I promise

Happy Birthday to any Jarheads out there and Happy Birthday to my beloved Marine Corps

Saw this guy playing support to Ryan Adams last year and was blown away. Just amazing. Acoustic set in a perfect venue. Got online the next day and bought two of his albums.
    This is my favourite track…..I about fell off my seat when I heard it played in Sons of Anarchy……I can play it ten times in a row and still want to hear it again….

86. thelastdakrat says:

Went to bed early last night and now regretting it in the morning looking at this thread.

I’m not too proud to admit that the sound I made when I saw pluffy post was extremely undignified for a male homo sapiens.

87. thelastdakrat says:

It’s one of my favorites from them. Although according to Wikipedia.

Filter’s frontman, and founding member Richard Patrick has said that the song is about him getting drunk on an airplane, taking off all of his clothes, and fighting with the flight attendants who tried to stop him.

It kind of takes away some of the deep and meaningful for me.

It kind of takes away some of the deep and meaningful for me.

I was so buzzed when I wrote that. My turn to be ashamed. It’s a good song, but I think I laid it on a bit thick with that comment.

Katie Sunshine

Hey now! She knows how to use the hips.