Bluster from the Filibuster Buster

It seems that Senator Harry Reid (D-Mordor) is out to finally change the Senate rules to limit the circumstances under which a filibuster (or threat of one) can be done.

My response? Good.

For too long, the filibuster has been abused by the minority party (both parties at one time or another) to choke the business of the Senate. Worse, Reid has been hiding behind it as an excuse for not allowing anything to get done.

If he wants to change the rules and start taking more accountability for the poor performance of his chamber, fantastic. Yes, it will suck as long as the Democrats are running the Senate, but I wanted this to happen when the GOP ran the show too.

This should happen. Let’s start seeing some voting out of there and quit letting them all take political cover behind arcane, non-Constitutional rules.

I think you are bing foolish thinking this is a good idea Thrill. These democrats have a history of changing the ruls that protect the minority when it is convenient for them, then changing it right back when they are about to end up in the minority and want to use the rule they dislike when in the majority. And nobody abuses rules like democrats do.

Besides, nobody has been filibustering a budget, and yet, this senate has not only not produced one for over 3 years now, but blocked anyone from doing so.

I think that it should be done with entirely. Sure, tomorrows kids wouldn’t understand “Mr Smith Goes To Washington”, but that would be about the only downside, as I see it.

But the GOP could have changed the rules at any time up until the end of 2006. They let the Senate Democrats stall legislation and judicial nominees and did nothing about it. When the Democrats lose the majority again, then they can suffer with this.

And it was nothing less than cowardice about losing the Senate that prevented the GOP Senate from changing the filibuster rule. I can’t hate on Reid for having the nerve that the GOP should have had.

We pay them to vote on crap, not to play stupid parliamentary games.

The budget issue is different from this, of course.

I’m beginning to agree with you on this. I think you hit the point I’d been missing — that this allows the Democrats to say, “hey, we’d pass all this awesome legislation, but the REPUBLICANS are holding us up.” Without the filibuster excuse, they’d have to put or shut up.

Exactly. I’m sick of Reid acting like nothing that happens (or, more often, doesn’t happen) in the Senate is none of his fault just because he doesn’t have 60 votes for everything.

For those who care to see it the episode of South Park concerning our election is here
    Obama Wins

Yes there is a General Tso’s chicken joke

1.30am on a school night? Why you up?

CM, I quit what I’m doing at 5:30AM take a pill then read (non thought provoking stuff) for about an hour or so before bed. Then I sleep and rise again at the ‘crack of noon’ or later. Comes from working 2nd shift for the last 7 or 8 years of my working life.

I don’t do mornings…evah!

I guess the question that I have; old dude (one of the few here older then I) is why are you still working at all? You should be spending your days working out, drinking fine scotch, crushing a younger opponent at anything sports related, browsing a world atlas for your next excursion, throwing out that old bucket list because it was too small, throwing well aimed humps into the fairer sex, and getting immense satisfaction whenever you see your doctor and he says, “Everything looks good, why do you come here wasting my time? How old are you again?”

If you mean me rich I officially retired in Jan 2009 @ 60 years old. I had the very good fortune of turning 59.5 in June of 2008 and I saw the writing on the wall. All 401K’s. IRA’s everything moved and sheltered before the storm. Have done a little consulting for my old employer but it’s kinda boring. I think they just had excess budget money they needed to spend.
    And next Dec. I’ll be eligible for SS… or be in the Confederate States Marine Corps. I’m flexible and a sipper of fine Irish whiskey, Midleton Very Rare (a blend but excellent) , Connemara Peated Malt and Tullmore Dew Single Malt especially.

View Mobile Site