Friday Five: TV Ain’t So Bad

I mentioned this in the TLC post this week, so thought I’d bring it out. I don’t watch a lot of current TV as what little I see is of low quality (and I don’t have HBO). But that probably means I’m missing more than a few good shows out there. With 187,324 channels, something’s gotta be good, right?

So what are your five favorite current TV shows. It can be a sit-com, a drama, a news hour, Monday Night Football, whatever. It just has to be something that’s been in broadcast relatively recently.

My five?

Doctor Who: I’ve made no disguise of my love of the show. The current version, under Stephen Moffat, is excellent.

Game of Thrones: I’ve just finished Season One on DVD. While I think it revels too much in sex and violence and I have a sinking feeling everyone I like is going to end up dead, it’s still an utterly compelling show.

Mythbusters: Still good, after all these years.

South Park: Ditto. They pull no punches.

Sherlock: Another Stephen Moffat entry, but damn, this show is good. Benedict Cumberbatch is rapidly becoming my favorite Sherlock Holmes.

To be fair, these are probably the only five shows I watch consistently, apart from when Sal 11000 Beta has My Little Pony on. There are some shows I just haven’t had time to get into that I’d probably like: Parks and Rec, Louie, Big Bang Theory. I figure I can watch them in ten years when the iBrain 5 can beam them straight into my cerebral cortex.

What are your five?

In no particular order:

Supernatural

Game of Thrones

Sons of Anarchy

NCIS

Castle

2. Xetrov says:

Mythbusters – Still awesome, and Kari gets hotter every year.

Sons of Guns – “we blow shit up” rednecks with firearms manufacturing and explosives licenses. Nuff said.

Big Bang Theory – I’m a geek, and this show is fricking hilarious.

Modern Family – some of the greatest comedy writing/acting ever on television.

Ninja Warrior – some of the shit those people do is amazing.

3. evanshrugged says:

It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia
    Modern Family
    South Park
    The Walking Dead
    Portlandia

Hal, a question about Dr. Who. I noticed that I can get all 7 seasons streamed through Amazon Prime, do you suggest I start from season one and work up or just jump in the current season?

Thanks for the Sherlock tip, I have always loved the ACD crime fighter. A few years back I got one of those 100 pound/hundred dollar SH compendium coffee table books with all his stories (That, and the 3 book collection The Complete Calvin and Hobbes) both I value highly.

A question to the group;

While perusing Netflix the other day I noticed 3 series (Weeds, Sons of Anarchy, and Vampire Diaries) that I can stream, are any of these worth it and get your recommendation?. As stated in a post the other day, I need more then f bombs and nips, a compelling story where the protagonist is someone admirable and worthy of support is essential.

1. The Venture Brothers. #1, yes. Looking forward to the 5th season premiere this month.

2. It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia. So wrong and too funny.

3. South Park. Single greatest commentary of our society in its time.

4. Pawn Stars/Hardcore Pawn. I give them a tie. Similar concepts but the “casts” have wildly different personalities and dramas and they handle vastly different clientele and merchandise. Can’t pick a preferred one.

5. Half in the Bag. Yes, it’s on the Web, but I love these guys. Always looking forward to the next review.

6. JimK says:

Just 5?

Breaking Bad
    Breaking Bad
    Breaking Bad
    Breaking Bad
    Breaking Bad

Oh, and Breaking Bad as my bonus.

Okay, fine. I’ll do it for real. :)

Breaking Bad
    Sons of Anarchy
    Modern Family
    Always Sunny
    And this may be terrible as it’s reality, but I really like Fast N’ Loud. They actually show him losing money on a regular basis, rather than just show the successes. Plus, awesome cars.

Rich, I say yes, yes, yes to SoA, it’s Shakespeare with bikers. A little Hamlet, a little Macbeth, a whole lot of bikes.

SO, how about the new guy turning Supernatural around and making it great again? Sera Gamble almost killed that show, but this season has been pretty good so far.

I hated Weeds. Every character is despicable. A series gets tiresome pretty fast when you can’t identify with the characters or at least like them enough to care what happens.

SOA is on my queue. I’d be interested in getting someone else’s opinion on it here.

Breaking Bad
    Dexter
    Supernatural
    NCIS
    Walking Dead

If you want to see stupid and conflicted, watch Homeland. The people that write for that have to be dysfunctionally bipolar as they try real hard to pretend the leftist world view is the right one while constantly making fools of themselves when they are forced to insert snippets of reality, here and there, that blatantly contradict the dumb liberal world view. This seems to be a problem with every one of these types of series where the left tries to both demonize the fact that the world is a cruel, evil, and unforgiving place, and promote the Kumbaya world view, only to then have some of the most blatantly obnoxious violence happen. Fucking idiots.

Unless you are a teenage angst infected female, avoid Vampire Diaries. It’s so lame that it causes brain damage to anyone with working neurons.

…avoid Vampire Diaries. It’s so lame that it causes brain damage to anyone with working neurons.

I didn’t want to address that one because I figured Rich would figure it out for himself within five minutes of watching. But you put it beautifully.

Which series of Dr Who are you watching/is aired in the US? The most recent series (season for you guys!) is 5 episodes then a break and I have not been impressed at all with it. The last two Moffat series were edge-of-your seat stuff, full of Lost type story lines. Pretty annoyed.

Isn’t there an American Sherlock being made/made?

I watched all of Homeland and just watched the new ep. You’re right Alex, I don’t even get why it’s so critically acclaimed, when it’s purely the performances of the two major characters that holes the series together. Carey is bipolar only when the plot requires her to be, her behavior is absurd and only holds due to Claire Danes performance. But the entire plot that the Evil Terrorist Mastermind somehow knew the Evil Cartoon Vice President was going to woo Brody and bring him into his inner circle is just faaar too far fetched and beyond the suspension of disbelief.

12. repmom says:

Revenge

Criminal Minds

Blue bloods

Person of Interest

NCIS Los Angeles

Other favorites -

Once Upon A Time

Grimm

13. repmom says:

Breaking Bad

We just started watching Season 1 at our daughter’s suggestion. Not sure I like it, but she insists we stay with it, that it gets better.

14. balthazar says:

1: Sons of Anarchy

2: Grimm

3: The walking dead

4: Top Shot (should be back soon i hope)

5: Longmire

Season 1 is a good place to start. You could also start at season 5, which sees things turn over a bit, but I’d probably start with 1.

They’re showing simultaneously here, so it was the newest stuff. Asylum of the Daleks and Angels take Manhattan were good. Power of Three had a decent setup but fell apart at the end.

16. working_man says:

Sons of Anarchy is one of the best shows on television. Watch it.

I also will give a shout out to:

The Walking Dead
    Falling Skies
    Modern Family
    Dexter
    The League

17. West Virginia Rebel says:

In no order:

NCIS
    Psych
    Doctor Who
    Breaking Bad
    Hell on Wheels
    West Virginia Rebel recently posted..The Wrong TargetMy Profile

18. Starving Writer says:

I really don’t watch that much TV, but here’s my brief list.

Game of Thrones
    Walking Dead

I just started watching Doctor Who. I’m up to season 2 now. So far so good.

That’s pretty much the only shows I watch.

19. Miguelito says:

Newer stuff I’m watching (basically what I’ve gotten season passes for in iTunes as I’ve pretty much given up on cable)…

Castle
    CSI (The orig)
    Fringe
    South Park
    Big Bang Theory
    Falling Skies

I never watched the CSI shows until I caught a few eps around season 5 and liked it, so I bought the DVD sets and got caught up in a marathon (the best way to enjoy shows IMNSHO). Now I’ve stuck with it, but not the NY or Miami versions.

2 sorta guilty pleasures I caught accidentally on Spike once and liked watching via the web using airplay to watch on my big TV: Flip Men (the crazy problems they run into can be funny and I just find it somewhat interesting) and World’s Worst Tennants (some of the nutbags on there are worth a chuckle too).

Otherwise I tend to prefer rewatching older shows I liked or movies. I’ll find out from others about something good and then watch the whole thing to catch up. I did that with The Walking Dead and need to watch season 2 still.

Forgot to mention about CSI.. I think they’re one of the few shows that has managed to rotate out some of the main cast members in a decent way and keep things going rather then completely ruin the group dynamic and show.

20. Iconoclast says:

In no particular order…

NCIS
    Burn Notice
    White Collar
    Covert Affairs
    NCIS Los Angeles
    Suits

Okay, got in one extra.

Is Psyche still on?

All of these shows are on USA, don’t seem to watch much else…

I’m waiting for the “Sam gets a fucking haircut” episode, which should be funny as all hell. But I have hopes for this season – some new blood writing a show that age is frequently what makes it great again.

Did purgatory make Dean a bit bitchy or what? You’d think after spending all that time in hell he’d be taking this sort of crap in stride a bit better….

Hal, are you not disappointed that Amy Pond’s arc seemed to be she’s just a human? From the start she seemed different, not to mention being able to not get sucked into the crack-in-the-wall which erased all her family from existence. She displayed strange abilities such as being able to know how to build a sonic-screwdriver, given then time, and seeing things the Doctor didn’t … only for her character arc to be ended (sad face)… All these odd things now seem like plot holes and plot flaws, rather than tantalizing clues as to her future. We still don’t know who blew up the Tardis!

Oh yeah, another show that’s actually grown on me is The Mentalist. I find it kind of funny and entertaining. He’s supposed to be cross between Sherlock Holmes and a comedian, and does it quite well. I likeit better than the new Sherlock Holmes series they just started. That actor just comes across as an ass.

24. HARLEY says:

Game of Thrones… LOVE it just got done reading all the books too..
    Grimm.. very good fun..
    Elementary…. yeah this could turn out to be a very good one.
    Walking dead….. Every one is stupid as hell except for the redneck.
    South park.. nothing is is off the table for them.

25. InsipiD says:

No particular order:

Breaking Bad
    Wilfred
    Always Sunny
    Shameless (UK)
    Louie

26. juddling says:

Alphas (show is killiing it this season)

Mad Men

Fringe (sad to see it go but it’s been a good start to final season)

Sons of Anarchy

How I met your Mother (always like the show…don’t even care about the mother anymore)

Poosh, there are still some balls in the air, I agree, but Moffat held it together pretty well with River. I do think the first five eps suffered from being definite “stand alones” I’m hoping we’ll get some more intrigue in the upcoming half season.

Also, Oswin looks like she’ll be good.

Once Upon a Time – Just a shade better than Grimm due to more and better looking women

South Park – simply for giving the clueless a bloody nose every week

Game of Thrones – Because they follow the excellent books so closely

Breaking Bad – But they pissed me off by splitting up the final season

Castle = the repartee between all of the main characters is comedy/drama at it’s best

Honorable Mention: Hell on Wheels (AMC) Copper, Graham Norton Show (for what he is able to wring out of his guest), Dr. Who (BBC America) and Strikeback (Skinemax) for it’s outright violence, and yes ‘there will be boobies’. Plus the theme song Theme song: Short Change Hero by The Heavy

Damn, I think I’m turning into a bloody brit.

29. West Virginia Rebel says:

Is Psyche still on?

Yes, it’s been renewed for at least another season.

I also like Leverage and Warehouse 13. For guilty pleasures, I like Storage Wars and WWE Raw.
    West Virginia Rebel recently posted..Jesse Junior’s MoneyMy Profile

As for Breaking Bad – maybe none of you “young whipper-snappers” noticed but it took FIVE damn seasons until the writers finally used “Crystal Blue Persuasion” by Tommy James & The Shondells in this series.

In the early 70′s one could obtain ‘blue meth’ coming out of Montreal. But I digress…

BTW & FWIW, JimK is a digital GOD. end of discussion.

Breaking Bad
    Game of Thrones
    Sons of Anarchy
    The Walking Dead
    Always Sunny

(so, same as everyone else then)

Honorable Mention: Hell on Wheels, Boss, Dexter

I just started The Big Bang Theory – literally, last night I watched the 1st season pilot. I thought it was great, looking forward to getting into it. Also just started American Horror Story, which also looks very promising

Elsewhere I have been told to watch Supernatural (have been told it’s an updated X-Files, which works for me) and it’s obviously popular here too, so I’ll definitely add it to the list.

BTW, huge thanks to JimK for recommending Saxondale. I tracked it down and finished the 13 episodes a couple of days ago. Brilliant. Very sad to get to the end and realise there is more. I agree, he’s a better character than Partridge, there’s far more to him.

They were saving it. LOVED it when it finally arrived though. Absolutely superb.
    So glad Jesse Paul won the Emmy again.
    Great call on Graham Norton – those shows are always highly entertaining, and he always seems to mix up the guests really well so the unlikeliest people are interacting (e.g. Ross Noble and Katy Perry).

Totally know what you mean, although not sure you could say that about Andy. However I stuck with it and watched every episode of every season. I did enjoy Nancy’s nude shots which sprung up every so often (especially the scene with her getting it from behind from the moody bartender, who used to be a moody cop in NYPD Blue). Ric, Weeds is definitely f-bombs and nips.

A cut-up and put-to-different-music version of that Weeds scene I mentioned.

- Breaking Bad is just awesome. Repmom, give it a chance because it gets better after the first season, as it gets darker.
    - Game of thrones. I liked the first season, the second just bored me.
    - I can’t help watching the Spartacus series, even if it’s ridiculous.
    - Weeds is a must see. Mary-Louise Parker may be a slut, but … well, that actually is why I love her.
    - Jerseylicious / Chicagolicious I can’t believe no one has mentioned these two gems? Both series offer us a true and honest insight into the beautyindustri of New Jersey and Chicago.
    - Dallas 2012 What’s not to love about the insane tempo? And watching Larry Hagman and Ken Kercheval fighting one another (+dementia and arthritis) for control over Southfork, never gets old. It just can’t.

34. HARLEY says:

mmm yeah the Queen and lil red ridding hood.. oh yeah!

35. HARLEY says:

i want to add to my honorable mentions ,

Strike back, … HELL yeah lots of good violence and and hot chicks… like Rhona Mitria! who totally rocks that OD green t-shirt.

copper.. new york cop in 1864… pretty screwed up. but fun.

Longmire. pretty much justified, with a older man and out west.

Dishonorable Revolution……..i want to see the lil dumb chick die painfully.. .. and FAT guys after a massive famine?! WTF?

36. satch says:

Definitely love Cumerbatch as Holmes. For the more traditional version there is nothing but pretenders compared to Jeremy Brett.

Warehouse 13
    Grimm
    Once upon a time
    And… not much else.

Sons is good. I suppose some of the other shows on cable are good but broadcast is horrid. I cannot bear to watchthe dumb white dads in sitcoms and cop shows are a joke.

Oh, I forgot Justified. Love that show. Timothy Olyphant is always so very very cool.

38. repmom says:

Kimpost -

I’ve already received the first two DVD’s for season 2 of Breaking Bad, so will definitely stay with it. Hubby likes it.

39. repmom says:

Glad to see some of you guys listing Once Upon a Time and Grimm. I’m always a little hesitant to list things that you all might find “girlie”.

No “Revenges”, I see.

Harley – I loved the surprising way Once Upon a Time handled Red Riding Hood.

CM,
    I don’t know who gave you the ‘thumbs down’ on your two Mary Louise Parker comments but the SOB forced me to give you 2 ‘ups’. Which BTW discussed me and will probably make me go out and kick a puppy just to get right with the universe.

And although, with the exception of repmom, everyone else here is way to macho to ever watch “Fried Green Tomatoes (1991)” In it MLP looks just as young as she does now 11 years later. Frankly I think she’s a witch and needs to be … (I’ll be in my bunk)

The book and screenplay was written by Fanny Flagg a old stand-up comedienne and native Mississippian. Funny old broad too!

To the dude that bases his movie selections on film synopsis: Don’t bother, you should continue to miss good and sometimes great movies due to some drones descriptions.

Are you freakin’ blind? Did you not notice the female guest from Ross Noble’s hometown of New Castle on Ms. Perry’s right?
    The only woman in the world to make me wish I was 30 again. Now I must return to my bunk again.

42. JimK says:

Crap! How did I forget that? Justified is a fantastic show. I agree that Olyphant is brilliant, but Walton Goggins is on a Whole. Notha. Level.

Plus, his tits on SoA were just fantastic.

43. repmom says:

I gave CM the first thumbs up on his Justified comment, just to counter the thumbs down he already had. Saw no reason at all for the thumbs down.

44. HARLEY says:

Harley – I loved the surprising way Once Upon a Time handled Red Riding Hood.

Agreed! having her AS the big bad wolf was…. different.,

Justified is with out a doubt kick ass, but WTF,when will it be back on?
    Im pulling for a dewy crow spin off! LOl… not!

I just watched the Grenada series this year. You can read my impression from the link in the original post. Brett was simply amazing, perfectly embodying the Holmes of the books. The only bad part is the last season where his health was awful.

Hahaha, that’s right it was Cheryl Cole.

I hear you.

Oh so true. Massive Walton Goggins fan, have been on the look out for him since his amazing last few season on The Shield. Especially after reading about his wife killing herself. Horrible.

I also agree about Cumberpatch making a superb Holmes.

CM
    Cheryl Cole is, imHo, one of the three most gorgeous women on the plant This lady is in that trio too.
    Bar Refaeli is looking for investors into her first sex tape. Operator are standing by…

Also, Oswin looks like she’ll be good.

Do you think the Doctor will go back in time and recruit her in her human form, because he knows she’s gonna die, so he can avoid the heart ache he’s just felt?

51. JimK says:

Well, yes, unfortunately. And it will violate everything we just learned about fixed points in time, etc. But they’ll write some babble that sort of lets it be okay, and we’ll learn to just live with it because she’s kind of adorable and she’ll make a great companion.

What would REALLY be interesting is if he brought her along AS A DALEK.

Surely he won’t violate the fixed point in time if he makes sure she gets where she’s meant to be? I am totally confused because we are told there are special fixed points in time which cannot be changed, and often attempts to change someone’s future are futile. The Doctor tried to play God in the last Tennant ones, went a little mad, but learned the hard way that he was not God … but then these last few series I’m sure they claimed time wasn’t fixed after all (which is confusing….) i really wish they would nail this stuff down

ALSO, in the last episode, why doesn’t River use her convenient time travel device to just go back in time to Amy and loser-rory, and just walk them out of New York, then get the doctor to bring the Tardis there… and save them. They only said he couldn’t go back in time to New York!

54. ilovecress says:

You guys are all pretty much on the money so I’d basically be repeating the posts above – so I’ll mention a few things that I’ve seen recently.

Red Dwarf X - I have no idea what to make of this. I am pretty sure that it’s awful, but I watch it with so much nostaligia that I weirdly kind of love it.

Homeland 2 – It’s getting a bit soapy, but I do like the way it f*cks with your perceptions.

30 Rock 7 – has lost it I think – has confused ‘being weird’ for ‘being funny’.

QI J – still the best show on TV. It’s basically research for what I’m going to talk about at the pub.

Luther – don’t know if you guys have come across this, but a really good gritty cop show. Pretty brutal. Search it out….

The Thick of it - the new series is soo good (kicks Veeps ass) that I’m going back and catching up on old episodes. Malcolm Tucker is a god.