Hell or High Grades

Please, please tell me there is more to this story than is being reported:

Kaitlin Nootbaar graduated from Prague High School, the Red Devils, in May and was named valedictorian.

When tasked with writing the graduation speech, her dad said she got her inspiration from the movie “Eclipse: The Twilight Saga.”

Nootbaar said, “Her quote was, ‘When she first started school she wanted to be a nurse, then a veterinarian and now that she was getting closer to graduation, people would ask her, what do you want to do and she said how the hell do I know? I’ve changed my mind so many times.’”

He said in the written script she gave to the school she wrote “heck,” but in the moment she said “hell” instead.

Nootbaar said the audience laughed, she finished her speech to warm applause and didn’t know there was a problem.

That was until she went to pick up the real certificate this week.

“We went to the office and asked for the diploma and the principal said, ‘Your diploma is right here but you’re not getting it. Close the door; we have a problem,’” Nootbaar said.

He said the principal told Kaitlin she would have to write an apology letter before he would release the diploma.

The school is refusing to comment, citing “privacy concerns” which is schoolspeak for “uh … SQUIRREL!” I’ll wait until they break their silence. But if this is what it seems to be, some petty power-mad people need to be exiled to Borneo.

1. repmom says:

She earned the diploma. Give it to her. And get over it.

The courts have ruled on this bullshit decades ago – the diploma is the property of the student. The principal can go fuck himself.

3. hist_ed says:

Uhh no. Schools can be sued for discussing students’ records. While I won’t take the time to research it, I would be really surprised if there was a single state that did not make it against the law to discuss students’ discplinary records publically.

Of course, the principal is being a first class ass. Should be fired for his little power trip.

4. Dave D says:

Does the lack of depth and thoughfullness in the limited speech segment bother anyone else?

Noted.

6. Iconoclast says:

The principal can go fuck himself.

In the most disgustingly painful manner possible…

Petty power plays piss me off.

I’m kinda curious — is there anyone else on the planet besides the principal who thinks Kaitlin needs to apologize? Is there anyone on the planet who actually took ofense at what she said?

7. repmom says:

He’s probably backed by the school board. Remember, this is a small town in the Bible Belt. They’re probably all Baptists.

The link for the Prague public schools doesn’t seem to be working. Imagine that.