Bloomberg Call for Chaos

Uber Nanny Stater Michael Bloomberg was the first to politicize the tragedy in Aurora. It makes sense that Bloomberg would be in favor of gun control: petty men who want to control every aspect of their citizens’ lives hate the idea of an armed citizenry. But now he’s taken it a step further into douchebaggery:

Mayor Bloomberg opened a new front in the war over firearms when he went on TV to call on cops nationwide to walk off the job until politicians tighten gun-control laws.

“I don’t understand why the police officers across this country don’t stand up collectively and say, ‘We’re going to go on strike. We’re not going to protect you. Unless you, the public, through your legislature, do what’s required to keep us safe,’” Bloomberg said on CNN Monday night.

It appears that even Bloomberg and his power-worshipping sycophants have realized how stupid this sounded. They’re now saying he was just “making a point”. Making a point? By calling on cops to do something that would endanger the public and is, in many places, illegal?

But that “defense” is revealing about the real intention behind the rhetoric. Having failed to get the public panicky about guns with their standard “you could get shot at any moment” rhetoric, the anti-gun crowd are falling back on the “War on Cops” rhetoric that politicians generally and Bloomberg specifically have used to defend … everything. Most recently, this was used to defend NYC’s ridiculous and unconstitutional stop-and-frisk policy that has resulted in more black men being frisked than there are black men and an insane number of marijuana busts.

Mike Riggs, Ken White and Radley Balko take the “War on Cops” talking point apart. Money quote:

In 2008, ten times more civilians regular people were killed by cops than cops were killed by perps.

In 2011, 72 cops were shot and killed in the entire U.S.; in L.A. County alone, cops shot and killed 54 suspects the same year–22 percent of those people were unarmed.

As Scott Reeder reported at Reason this morning, “Farmers, ranchers, commercial fishermen, loggers, garbage collectors, truck drivers, construction workers, pilots, steel workers, roofers, and others are far more likely to face death on the jobs than police or firefighters, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.”

And as Choire Sicha wrote earlier this year, “2008 was the ten-year low for police officers being killed, and 2012 is, so far, year-to-date, down 49% from last year.”

But as much as I like the work of Mike, Ken and Radley and would like to have their babies, I think they are missing the key point here: Bloomberg isn’t really running on the War on Cops theme. He’s using it as a shield for his own Nanny State ambitions. Bloomberg is in favor of strict gun control. But he can’t just say, “I don’t like the idea of you idiot plebs having guns”. So he has to hide behind the cops.

And I don’t think his strike rhetoric was rhetorical. In the aftermath of Aurora, the anti-gun crowd are wondering just why events like this don’t start a “conversation” about gun control (“conversation” being Liberalspeak for “everyone agreeing with us”). I’m actually encouraged that the American people are not panicking about an isolated incidence of horrific violence (gun crime and murders are down — way down off their peak). It shows a lot more maturity than I’ve come to expect.

But the failure to panic isn’t sitting well with people like Bloomberg who are always hoping a tragedy will propel their ideas into law and themselves into power. Perhaps, they hope, a larger convulsion — such as cops going on strike — would galvanize the public to support their agenda.

Politicians — especially power-hungry politician like Bloomberg — rely on fear and hysteria to maintain and expand their power. But after a decade of being constantly terrorized about everything from terrorists to playgrounds, I think the American people are getting terrified out. Maybe … unlikely, I admit, but just maybe … the public is developing some much-needed cynicism about politicians and a desperately-needed resistance to their constant attempts to frighten us into surrendering more of our freedom.

The idea; the faintest possibility of an American public slightly less terrified by political hobgoblins scares people like Bloomberg. And so … he calls on the police to create a real danger to the American public.

New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg and Boston mayor Thomas Menino have been the vanguard of gun grab movement for over 10 years. Two absolute progressive pos in my opinion.

Also no one will convince me otherwise, An Armed Society is a Polite Society. Hence the drop in both violent crime and gun violence with the exception of large cities especially the ones with strict gun control laws, Chicago, NYC, Boston, Baltimore …

Also no one will convince me otherwise, An Armed Society is a Polite Society.

I don’t think it’s as simple as that. There are a lot of polite societies without an armed populace. I probably used to be a gun grabber, before I started to frequent conservative boards, mainly Moorewatch. I’m not anymore. I think the problem of gun violence in the US lies way deeper than gun control or lack thereof.

If I were to suggest anything on the matter for America, it would have to do with gun trade shows sales, private commerce and possibly assault rifles. Disarming America just isn’t realistic, and it would also be wrong, even according to me. But having some control, might be right…

Ditto.

There are a lot of polite societies without an armed populace.

True, however MY’s comment doesn’t imply that ONLY armed societies are polite societies. So fuck you.

We have a reasonably polite society, but I’ve never seen a single gun in public anywhere in NZ in my 37 years (outside a range or hunting situation).

4. West Virginia Rebel says:

Just a reminder for Bloomberg and his ilk. Speaking of which…
    West Virginia Rebel recently posted..The Cost To Be WellMy Profile

Just read this disgusting story. How much worse would it have been without the gun? Notice that the very use of the gun convinced these guys this was not on the up-and-up.

6. FPrefect89 says:

Kimpost,

What is an “assault rifle”? According to the 1994 law,

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

Folding or telescoping stock
    Pistol grip
    Bayonet mount
    Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
    Grenade launcher (more precisely, a muzzle device which enables the launching or firing of rifle grenades, though this applies only to muzzle mounted grenade launchers and not those which are mounted externally)

Now, here’s a nice little 10/22 that fits that “assault rifle” category, It has two of the requirements, pistol grip & flash suppressor. The assault weapons ban was never about banning the AR-15 or such, it was more about banning “evil” looking guns.

Please explain to the class: What is an assault rifle? Or assault weapon for that matter? Is it the ‘scary look”, the magazine size? Hell my pistol comes standard with the same size magazine (20) as an AR-15. Yanno the gun this pos used. The 30 round mag only became popular, and for some gun manufacturers regular issue in the last 3-4 years. Funny that.

And while I’m on the subject of magazine sizes don’t even begin to dictate how small or large they should be. This rifle in not an automatic weapon, only one bullet is discharge per trigger pull. It does have the mis-nomer of being called a semi-automatic only because a) you don’t have to manually load a carriage after each fire and b) it sounds scarier.

I contend that the term “assault rifle” is nothing but “weasel words” at the end of the day. And the Clinton WH more or less coined that bullshit term to further his agenda.
    Of course Kimpost, I only bring this all up because how much you are a such stickler against conspiracy theories.

And CM, NO you’re not getting in my pants!

Fuck if I know. Perhaps a discussion is warranted on where a line should be drawn? I’m not necessarily suggesting an AR ban either, but perhaps some kind of government entity should keep tabs on AK-47′s and the likes sold not only through licensed dealers (as it is today), but also privately sold guns, as well as for whatever is sold through gun shows.

Some people don’t want the government to have that kind of knowledge though. I know that, and many of the reasons for it.

9. hist_ed says:

We definately need to ban all guns that have the shoulder thing that goes up.

b

Kimpost

Why the hardon for AK-47′s “and the likes”? Those imported and manufactured here are one trigger pull one fire semi-automatics just like the AR. Is it the caliber because AR’s and the like make larger calibers(307 and 338 Lapua and 50 calibers) and AK makes a smaller caliber (AK-74′s)

You have also twice mentioned gun shows and private sellers. Is there something specific you dislike about not getting the government involved with every gun sale? Will you be cracking down on the black market too?

BTW FPerfect89, thanks for the “official” description.

I guess it’s because they look bad ass. I’m not really trying to single out particular guns, I don’t know enough about them. “Heavy weaponry” is what I’m getting at, but I’m not prepared to define the term for you (again, not knowledgeable enough). Anyway, that’s mostly a discussion for Americans to have, or not to have.

Why demand background checks from licensed dealers, while not asking the same from private citizens? I just don’t think it makes much sense.

What’s the black market got to do with it? But by all means, crack down it… (isn’t that happening already?)

What’s the black market got to do with it?

When guns are are controlled to the point they are in theory illegal (Chicago, NYC, Boston ect…) then only outlaws will have guns ( Chicago, NYC. Boston ect…)

But I totally agree with your point:
    Anyway, that’s mostly a discussion for Americans to have, or not to have.

In Chicago this month alone there have been 33 murders. This is in a city with the most draconian gun laws in the country.

And here is a little perspective on mass deaths,

I just read that there was a single vehicle crash in Texas that killed 14 people. That is two more deaths than were caused by the Colorado shooter. Among the dead were children.

There were 23 people in the truck. A tire blew out, and the truck hit two trees. The driver was killed, and in addition to the dead passengers there were others with severe injuries. The passengers were illegal immigrants, and the driver was not the registered owner of the truck.

Do you think there will be a call to tighten border security because of this tragedy?
    Was the car bought at a car show?
    Private sale?

Am I correct in saying – I was informed of this the other day – that NO assault weapons, i,e guns that can fire “rapidly” are allowed to be sold in the USA? And that weapons called assault weapons that are sold in the US are not the assault weapons that we imagine soldiers carrying?

(Short and from my memory so take it for what it’s worth).

Not quite but fully automatics are heavily regulated. You basically can own weapons older than 1986, if they also were registered by the ATF before that year, but you’d have to pay serious money and accept to file paperwork regardless of how you buy it (privately or through a dealer).

There’s another way too. You could become a licensed dealer (file the paperwork) and start selling automatic weapons to law enforcement. If you do that your business will provide you with constant access. :)

Otherwise, yes an AR-15 or an AK-47 are normally single fire in the US. Some would call them pretty powerful and fast just the same.

16. HARLEY says:

Pretty much correct kim, i m impressed.
    THE .556X45 AND 7.62X39 are considered intermediate cartridges, as opposed to full power loads of .308 ,30’06 7.62 x54R.. these are commonly found on heavy rifles and heavy belt fed weapons. Significantly more energy at muzzle. so yes the smaller rounds are not that powerful.

Under ATF rules you can build one full auto weapon for your self, you have to get the ATF tax stamp and you can not transfer the weapon.

“assault type” weapons…. account for about 4% or so of all firearms crimes in the USA…
    small cal pistols are the preferred, 9mm, .32cal, 38special, .22 Lr.
    Also most mass killings are not the result of firearms,. Arson is.

17. FPrefect89 says:

He said exactly what I said in my post,

They look “scary”. There is no logic behind the bans, just ban what looks scary, what holds what is thought of “too many rounds”, or what not. Here, we will make the weapons look more “friendly”. Will that help?

18. HARLEY says:

Bloomberg, tried to ban that too…….. duracoated guns.

19. HARLEY says:

Another thing,.
    this twat, opened up with a 12 gauge shotgun right off the bat.
    The 870 pump action has a 8 round capacity in the tube.
    the 12 gauge shell loaded to 00 specifications contains 9 .33 cal balls.
    With each shot, 9 balls, Bigger that the .223 cal rounds fired by the AR-15, are discharged, think of it as a 9 round burst … add to that 8 more action cycles and you have ……………..72, 30 cal+ rounds fired…
    #4 buck contains 21 .24 cal balls…….. do the math.
    and people are scared of “assault rifles”..

20. InsipiD says:

Shhh! Harley, don’t educate them that way. They’ll use that against us!

Why can’t we just ban Bloomberg for being a menace to freedom?

21. HARLEY says:

Shhh! Harley, don’t educate them that way. They’ll use that against us!

I geuss i wont post my breakdown on making homemade explosives and chemical weapons from stuff you can buy at the local store….?

Why can’t we just ban Bloomberg for being a menace to freedom?

you have to educate people as to what freedom is…and even then, some find that to scary.

Shotguns are powerful. I always enjoyed running around with the SPAS-12 in MW2.

23. HARLEY says:

Shotguns are powerful. I always enjoyed running around with the SPAS-12 in MW2.

……………………………oh the irony……………….

but perhaps some kind of government entity should keep tabs on AK-47′s

1) I have serious issues with the need for the government to “keep tabs” on what guns somebody owns

2) Unless you already have a license for automatic weapons, that AK-47 you’re buying isn’t really any different than any other semi-auto

“Assault Weapons” is generally a term tossed about by those that are fairly ignorant of guns and get their information mostly from movies. I hang around a fairly large group of gun enthusiasts – when we talk guns it’s typically in more specific terms, such as “full auto”, “semi-auto”, “bolt action”, calibers, models, manufacturers, features etc. Nobody ever starts talking about the “assault weapon” they bought – the term is meaningless.

Neither have I, unless this doesn’t include gun stores. People just don’t walk around waving guns here. It just doesn’t happen, except for maybe high crime areas like the inner city, which cops and government won’t do a damn thing about because cracking down is politically incorrect. The preferred story is that people are getting shot up because reckless dumb rednecks keep missing their beer cans. While cute it does not reflect reality and solves nothing. As long as this nation is too chickenshit to handle serious problems as well as gangs and wants to put rainbow band-aids on everything since we don’t want to upset anyone or hurt feelings, we’ll continue the way we are.

About 5 years back the utility worker installing an upgrade on my gas meter got to see my .45, but only because it was still mostly dark that fucking early in the morning and I could hear someone messing around with my home. Once I got outside and sort of figured out what was going on (utility truck parked on the street, someone kneeling in front of the meter) we had a pleasant conversation about the upgrade being installed and that it was kind of early in the morning to making a racket.

She remarked that I wasn’t the first person to come out to investigate the amount of noise she made that early in the AM with a loaded gun. Wasn’t particularly concerned about it.

Neither have I, unless this doesn’t include gun stores.

Actually I haven’t seen any in my US travels either (travelling through/across more than 30 states, overland).

;-)

And CM, NO you’re not getting in my pants!

Still, I managed 2 thumbs down just for showing up. Actually I did more than show up – I supported a comment against gun control, and I corrected a lefty. Love it!

Really? Because I drive by 3 or 4 of them in my area all the time.

You know those stores that say “Sporting Goods”? They sell guns, and I’m not counting them.

Really? Because I drive by 3 or 4 of them in my area all the time.

Not counting them either. We have gun shops.