Out of Touch with Being Out of Touch

Expect a lot more like this:

MSNBC aired footage today that inaccurately portrayed Mitt Romney’s remarks at a campaign stop in Pennsylvania.

Discussing how the public sector suffers from a lack of competition, Romney told the audience about an optometrist who wanted to change his address and subsequently received 33 pages of paperwork from the federal government, which begat a months-long bureaucratic nightmare during which the optometrist in question wasn’t receiving his checks. “That’s how government works,” Romney said.

Then, to illustrate the advantages of competition in the private sector, Romney shared an anecdote from his visit to the local WaWa chain store. “I was at WaWas, I went in to order a sandwich. You press a little touchtone keypad — you touch this, touch this, go pay the cashier — there’s your sandwich. It’s amazing. People in the private sector have learned how to compete. It’s time to bring some competition to the federal government.”

PMSNBC cut the quote so that it just highlighted the Wawa part to make it seem that Mitt Romney — chuckle chuckle — had never seen a touch screen before. We had a similar “substantive” incident over the weekend when Lawrence O’Donnell had a five minute segment pretending that Mitt Romney had never seen a doughnut. And, believe it or not, the issue of the Romney’s interest in horses is coming back again, since this supposedly makes him out of touch with … the millions of Americans, mostly of modest income, who enjoy dressage and horse-riding.

(The horse issue infuriates me every time it comes up. It’s East Coast city slicker bullshit. Outside of New York, Washington and Los Angeles, lots of people have and ride horses. I looked into signing Sal 11000 Beta up when she gets old enough and it’s just not that expensive to get involved on an entry level. It’s not a rich man’s pursuit and hasn’t been for a very long time. Talk about out of touch.)

Look, I’ll be the first to admit that Mitt Romney’s interaction with the public is about as smooth as that of Dr. Frankenstein’s monster. But this is getting ridiculous. We have the mainstream media — in a time when we’re under threat of possible war, Euro collapse, China implosion, double-dip recession, permanent structural unemployment and fiscal apocalypse — talking about whether Mitt Romney knows about Wawa and doughnuts and whether the voters will perceive that he’s out of touch. Of all the things they could go after Mitt Romney about … this? Give me a fucking break. Mitt Romney could be as in touch with modernity as Mr. Burns. I don’t care if he has good ideas.

Does he? Or is he recycling bad ideas from Bush 43? Or is he just saying whatever gets him elected? And are his ideas better or worse than Obama’s. That’s what’s relevant.

1. Dave D says:

So, I’d at least have a small amount of respect for pMSNBC if they stuck to their liberal logic and attacked Mitt for his example that uses a machine to unemploy sammich servers or similar, but No!, they simply (and blindly) attack him at this level, using dishonest interpretation of his words and incomplete clips. I tell you, I have less respect for these people each and every day…….

It’s not a rich man’s pursuit and hasn’t been for a very long time.

Quite honestly, the rich don’t really do much with horses except bet on them. My brother moonlights as a quite in-demand ferrier in the northern Colorado area. The VAST majority if his clients are quite blue collar, and I think he can count all the “doctor’s wives” he’s ever done work for on one hand.

Stabling a horse isn’t as expensive as people think it is, and really isn’t that expensive of a hobby. It can easily suck up a lot of your time, but I bet it doesn’t cost more than my scuba diving vacations.

Honestly, it’s like everything the know about horses came from that episode of the Simpsons where Lisa got a pony.

4. JimK says:

I’ve spent nearly 20 grand on motorcycling this year. Granted, that will level off now that the bike is pretty done and my gear is pretty well settled. So maybe 3 grand a year operating costs & maintanence. Is keeping a horse more or less? Just curious.

Just wait. They haven’t even begun their attack on his Mormonism in earnest yet. Just because all of the feeble swipes at his religion haven’t worked to date only means the right person hasn’t brought it up yet.
    (Liberal Wisdom)

Hats off to Politico though for at least broadcasting this out. Anyhow, who gives a shit even if this cut and paste reporting was true and he was wowed by a touchscreen? I think there are advantages to not having to carry around a high tech comfy blanket with you, like oh say a teleprompter for example.

Depending on where you keep your horse, stable costs can range from $200 – $400 per month. That generally includes feed, exercising, some vitamin supplements, maybe even shoeing once or twice per year.

A good farrier service doing hot shoes will charge about $75 per horse on average, cold shoes around $55. If you use your horses a lot, like for ranching or pro rodeo, get used to paying for this regularly.

Vet bills for vaccinations will vary, but generally no more than what it costs for a dog to get its shots each year if your vigilant about that sort of thing.

The rest of it is gear, and like most things, you get what you pay for, but you generally don’t have to buy too many saddles, bridles, etc in your life. The horse itself will typically cost less than a crappy used car – I’ve seen a LOT of horses sell for well under $1000.

8. salinger says:

I grew up riding horses and my father and brother in law are both farriers (correct spelling SO). Even though we had up to a half dozen horses at a time I’m pretty sure we never took a $77,000.00 dollar tax deduction because of them.

I think it’s these kind of personal data points trickling out that make him seem unable to empathize with the typical citizen. Lots of folks he is asking to vote for him don’t even make $77,000.00. BTW – even among “horse people” the dressage crew is considered a bit hoity toity.

Right, and I see the Obama’s going on vacation to exotic locations. How many of the commoners are doing that these days? Granted, Bush spent more time at his ranch, but working from your ranch is not the same as doing the club med tour, especially during these economic times. There was even an interview with Obama on this. His reasoning. “I”m raising a family here.” LOL. Aren’t most Americans?

Link.

Oh, and it appears more and more of Obama’s memoirs are simply made up. Including the treatment of his grandfather by the British. While he’s hailed as being smart and writing a book and sharing all his “hardships”, Imagine if Palin wrote such fiction? It would be how that crazy cunt is so wacked that she can’t even remember her own childhood and lives in a fantasy world. This is ok though, and it’s alright this goof has repeatedly shown the cold shoulder to our closest ally based on what appears to be animosity from made up torture. Excellent foreign policy.

(correct spelling SO)

Well, if I were French, the spelling was correct… ;-)

Ever watch them work? Kind of fascinating to watch the process, particularly when they start to smoke on a pair of custom shoes.

And the stories – my brother’s rule is “No mini’s, ponies, or crazies – that goes for the owners as well”

11. georgebalella says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

12. Nexus says:

No one watches MSNBC anyway.

13. georgebalella says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Yeah because this sort of thing never happens on the other side

Ok, well said, then we can at least agree this mirage that the left happen to be members of the intellectual group who don’t resort to childish name calling, cut and paste reporting, and only stick to the facts is a bunch of horseshit right? That’s the propaganda we’ve been fed over the past few years. You know, a sign saying “no new taxes” or “less government” = “I hate minorities”, and of course racist middle America was bound to start rioting. Of course we know which protests tend to lead to arson, shitting on cars, robbery, rape and a host of other felonies. Now did the whole left leaning group act that way? No, but they were a hell of a lot more violent and vulgar than any Tea Party rally. I think you guys might want to check the way you act before setting standards. Even better yet ask yourself if you’re going to set standards if it’s in your best interest to respond with “they do it too” when you guys can’t even follow your own standards. Which happens to be quite often by the way.

15. salinger says:

Oh yeah – loads of times. I can trim hooves.

I also know grabbing a Welsh pony by the tail will not stop it from getting away and could end up with one losing their front teeth. Luckily for my dad we found the teeth and the dentist just pressed them back in and they took.

16. Xetrov says:

Obama’s a Muslim, a socialist, a communist, death panels, birth certificates

Which MSM organization tried to pass any of those conspiracy theories off as fact? There is a difference between covering the news, and manufacturing the news.

17. sahrab says:

Sadly more.. much more

If you board your horse your looking at (minimum):
    Cost of Horse – free to skies the limit
    Cost of Tack – Saddles start at 3-400 and go upwards (i have a custom amish made draft roping saddle that i paid 800 for). Reins, Bits, ancillary tack – figure 30-40 each
    Farrier – start at 35 (for trim) to 55 (for shod) but can run double that cost depending, every 7-8 weeks
    Vet – 100 for farm call, 100 for Shots (yearly) and 15 for wormer (4 times a year)
    Boarding Fee – 200-400 per month

If you keep horses at your own place:
    Cost of Horse – Same
    Cost of Tack – Same
    Farrier – Same
    Vet – Same
    Hay – for the winter can run 200-400 a month (depending on teh hay crop for the year). if you have to feed hay all year factor that in as well
    Feed – figure 20 bucks a month for 2 bags of 10-10
    Fencing – if didnt exist
    Barn – if didnt exist
    Clearing – if wooded
    Tractor – skies the limit

For both scenarios throw in a truck and trailer, to get your horse somewhere other than the stable, and now you’ve added tens of thousands

18. sahrab says:

I’ve seen a LOT of horses sell for well under $1000.

Generally for a worthwhile horse, the minimum (at the auction) will be 500. Anything less than that is what (typically) the most the meat man will pay for a horse, and still make it worth his while to send it off to Mexico to get slaughtered. (the bleeding hearts closed the US Slaughterhouses down because its “cruel” to process a horse for meat. So now the horses are transported, in even worse conditions, to Mexico to be slaughtered…. because the conditions for slaughter there are so much better)

Between the last of the PMU farms closing, and the closure of the US Slaughterhouses, there is a HUUUUUUGE surplus of horses right now. To the point that many rescues can handle what they currently have, and horses are being turned loose in the wild.

19. sahrab says:

Jesus christ do you ever even bother reading the “incriminating” shit you post?

Romney deducted $77,000.00 for their share in the care and feeding of the Dressage horse. With your half dozen horses, did you have any where the upkeep on them cost more than 77k (that was only Romneys share, the other shareholders also had costs associated with the upkeep, why arent you bitching about their tax deductions?)

And with your half dozen horses, your family took NO tax deductions for anything related to the upkeep of the horses, their jobs as farriers, and the farm?

20. salinger says:

No – why would we? Do you take deductions for your pets? Our horses were for pleasure – even the ones my sisters jumped in shows were not a business. it’s possible that we maybe could have finagled some sort of way to do so – but that’s just not my families’ style. As for the farriers – my dad did it more as a hobby and to save money at our place so he never took any kind of deduction. My brother in law is a professional so I am sure he takes regular business deductions related to this.

Anyway – you’re veering off point again. My point is: Taking a $77,000.00 dollar tax deduction on your ballet horse is a pretty easy way to look a bit elitist. (Even if it is a legitimate business expense – sort of like the difference between a plumber writing off his van or a hedge fund director taking depreciation on his private jet. Both may be legit – one is a bit easier for the average Joe to swallow.)

None of them are telling me that they should be my choice to represent my best interests.

21. sahrab says:

Do you take deductions for your pets? Our horses were for pleasure

We take deductions for the maintenance of our farm. In Romneys case, this wasnt a pet this was a business venture, and just like EVERY other business he took deductions for the loss in that business.

Where’s your posts takign your brother to task for taking deductions for his business?

So your complaining about the amount he deducted, without knowing how much he invested into the business? Seems like your arguing based on degrees or percentages, with only partial information.

So who’s your vote that represents your best interest? And do you lay that critical eye upon them for the deductions they’ve enjoyed ?

22. salinger says:

Okay Sarhab – now you’re just playing dumb. First off – where am I complaining? I am simply stating that some business deductions are easier to swallow by the average working person than others. I see you didn’t bother to quote the part where I illustrate this by comparing a plumber’s van to a private jet. Both may be legit – one is more relate-able to a larger portion of the population.

I don’t see how this is an arguable statement – and obviously neither do you because you are not trying to argue it.

Now I have work to do in my tax deductible home office. Good day sir.

Yeah because this sort of thing never happens on the other side….. Obama’s a Muslim, a socialist, a communist, death panels, birth certificates.

George, again, we have an archive and you can see that I’ve mocked these memes as well. Frequently.

24. salinger says:

I think this may be more along the lines of the sort of creative editing referenced by Hal:

Well I tried to embed a vid and it didn’t work – here’s the link:

25. georgebalella says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Actually it’s not. If you’re preaching less taxes then it would make sense to practice what you preach. Now, if you were someone like Kerry who is preaching MORE taxes, and then park your yacht somewhere other than your state to avoid taxes that’s elitist hypocrisy. I know too complex for some to understand, but I write this because it’s not too complex for most.

I’m going to say that you know people that keep horses as a hobby and I know ranchers. The approach appears to be different, and ranchers tend to do a lot of the work themselves just to keep the costs down (except for shoeing, they all go to someone they trust for that).

Truck and trailer – the trailer will be the more expensive portion of that. Ranchers already own a beat to shit truck with a hitch….

28. sahrab says:

Probably depends more on the geography. I live on the east coast in the Peoples Republic of Maryland. I read somewhere (cant find the link) that Maryland is the number 3-4 state in the US for horses, we even have our own wild horses (.. depends on the time of the year, they swim accross the bay to Chiconteague Virginia for auction). But there arent “ranches” out here.

With that said, there are “working” horses. Where i live we have a large Amish and Mennonite community. They rely upon trotters for their buggies and drafts for farm work. Down where i live, Horse pulls are a bigg draw and have a huge following.

Plus Maryland has a history in the Horse Racing industry. The Preakness, the second leg of the Triple Crown, is held at Pimlico Race courseon the outskirts of Balitmore. Not to mention the various thoroughbred and pacer racing that are held at different race courses throughout the state.

While the rancher may already have a truck and trailer, just as with the farmers here, he had to start somewhere. While the cost of the truck and trailer may be part of doing businees, its still a cost (which is why i was factoring it into the response to Jim).

Of course, according to Salinger, business should eat their losses, even after paying horrendous taxes.. Unless its someone related to him, then its ok as long as he takes the deductions Salinger agrees with (talking about an elitest)

29. salinger says:

Of course, according to Salinger, business should eat their losses

Interesting strategy sarhab – when you can’t argue the position at hand make up a new one. Classic heuristic response.

But since you brought it up let’s run with it a bit. You didn’t say business deduction – you said losses.
    It’s true I have never understood why I, as a taxpayer, should have to foot the bill for your poor business decisions. Isn’t doing so a form a socialism?

And in the case at hand, it has been reported that Romney is taking a tax deduction because of a loss. This would say to me that his (and his partner’s) business decisions re: this dancing horse haven’t been too sound since they failed to make a profit on the venture. Not the most ringing endorsement for a guy claiming his major qualification to be president is his business acumen.

I have been my own business for going on ten years and I have always ended the year in the black. In fact it has grown every year. I can tell you though with no uncertainty – the tax codes are heavily slanted toward business as opposed to the folks collecting a salary or punching a clock – which makes ending up with a loss even more egregious.

30. sahrab says:

Can you please try a little harder next time?

Because just as you pay taxes, and recieve deductions for Loss (think children) Businesses pay taxes and recieve deductions for Loss. Easy Peasy

Wrap your imaturity around this, Loss is the term for the cost of doing business. Just as with your Brother, Loss in this instance is the cost Just like it costs (a loss) your brother to purchase items to maintain his business, it costs (a loss) the business partners items to maintain the business of keeping up a horse. Easy Peasy

Sure…. but lets say this fantasy was true, did you take any deductions in the cost of runnign that busines? HOW DARE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Easy Peasy

Businesses collect a salary and puch a clock as well. Easy Peasy

31. salinger says:

Quit playing dumb – you know I am talking about net operating loss – not deductions. Loss is not the term used for the cost of doing business – just saying so doesn’t make it true and shows either you don’t know what you are talking about or you are being disingenuous. I’m leaning toward the latter ’cause I don’t think you are that dumb.

Of course – but never to the point where deductions are larger than income. It has been my assumption that one runs a business in order to make a profit.

How long have you been running your own business as your sole income sarhab?

32. sahrab says:

And what do you base that assumption off of? All your article states is Romney deducted 77K for operating losses, no where in it does it state what his investment nor his return of the horse is.

33. Xetrov says:

This puts the previous discussion about obesity into perspective. He’s upset because he’s gaining weight.

34. salinger says:

Wow – you sure do bounce around a lot. I was replying to a question you asked me about my own business. Remember?

did you take any deductions in the cost of runnign that busines?

Why do you keep projecting my answers onto something other than the question they are intended? Is it perhaps because you cannot win the argument at hand sticking to the actual argument at hand? You know – sometimes you guys get so revved up to score some imaginary debate points I think you don’t even remember the original statement you began arguing.

As for:

And what do you base that assumption off of?

Are you telling me that running a business with the intention of turning a profit is off base? I guess I would say I base the assumption on the experience of knowing of businesses that ran at a loss eventually going under. I don’t think you really need to be told this.

But – to keep you assuaged:

The link states: the Romneys declared a loss of $77,000 on their 2010 tax returns for the share in the care and feeding of that dancing horse, Rafalca. (emphasis mine)

It does not say the Romneys took a business DEDUCTION or OPERATING EXPENSE of $77,000.00 – it says LOSS. Remember – Loss and Deduction are two very different things – using the two terms as a synonym is just plain incorrect. I am assuming the people over at Drudge know the difference even if some of their readers may not.

This really isn’t that difficult and I am pretty convinced you are just fucking with me again. How ’bout you just call me a name or something and we end this?

35. sahrab says:

So you pulled it out of your ass

Easy Peasy

I just love this song and the video. A good example of horses not just being for rich fellers.
    About the program.