New Hampshire

As expected, Mitt Romney won New Hampshire tonight, with Paul in second and Huntsman a strong third. This is rapidly narrowing down. I don’t expect anyone to drop out before South Carolina, but Perry is looking increasingly toasted to me. Santorum’s momentum is fading. And Gingrich might win South Carolina but that’s about it. This is slowly becoming a one-man race, with Paul as the protest vote.

What was really telling to me was that turnout was down from 2008. You would expect that a Party disgusted with Obama would be more enthusiastic than the Party that was reeling from Bush. But I don’t think any of the candidates really excite them. Paul is only one who generates real excitement among his supporters, but they are a small slice of the GOP. Lots of GOP voters are still saying, “That’s all ya got? What, is Chris Christie’s cell phone busted?”

This is slowly becoming a one-man race, with Paul as the protest vote.

A second place protest vote? Perhaps the real fiscal conservatives who really want to bring the GOP back to fiscal conservatism see an opportunity, rather than those who discuss how great it would be in theory, but in the end like the status quo like everyone else. .

2. Dave D says:

I think lots of Republicans are simply aware that they will vote for anyone other than bHo. And I mean ANYONE? Sad, but probably true.

3. blameme says:

If Paul wasn’t so batshit crazy (to me anyway) on immigration or had a newsletter UNDER HIS NAME that was filled with racist rants, I could vote for him.

I am pretty libertarian. Are there no libertarians that aren’t tied to extremists or racists rants? Have we gone so far down the shithole that I am condemned to voting “status quo” because Paul is the best we can do – good fiscally but nuts on every damn thing else?

The president has to reside over a whole host of complex situations. Paul can’t even control his own damn newsletter.

He isn’t a protest vote. He is a wasted vote.

4. ryansparx says:

I’m pulling out my tinfoil rally cap for this one. I can’t wait to bask in the warmth of the Paulssiah administration and the glorious glow of liberty that shall emanate from Washington in the wake of this revolution.

Beautiful. Waves. Of. Freedom.

He isn’t a protest vote. He is a wasted vote.

Shut your goddamn cockholster, heretic.

lol@ Huntsman

6. Retluocc1 says:

What was really telling to me was that turnout was down from 2008.

Hal -

Where did you get this info? Because several news items I’ve seen have indicated that – after a slow start – voters turned out in nearly record numbers later in the day. I guess we won’t know for certain until probably later today, but I’m curious about your source(s).

I think the last GOP candidate to actually generate excitement was Ross Perot.

How about a Romney-Paul ticket?
    Does that appeal to anyone? Or is it another case of ‘least-worst’?

That pretty much sums it up. When presented with the options of a turd sandwich or a giant douche, you pretty much just figure out which you hate the most and vote against them.

10. blameme says:

Shut your goddamn cockholster, heretic.

mbbblmbmbl, mmmblmbbl.

11. blameme says:

Romney-Paul? Hahahahahahahahahaha….wait…..waaah. waaah waaaah.

I am reminded of a song…

Where have all the good men gone
    And where are all the gods?
    Where’s the street-wise Hercules
    To fight the rising odds?
    Isn’t there a white knight upon a fiery steed?
    Late at night I toss and turn and dream
    of what I need

[Chorus]

I need a hero
    I’m holding out for a hero ’til the end of the night
    He’s gotta be strong
    And he’s gotta be fast
    And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
    I need a hero
    I’m holding out for a hero ’til the morning light
    He’s gotta be sure
    And it’s gotta be soon
    And he’s gotta be larger than life

Such is the republican party.

I’m just pleased Mitt Romney isn’t a NZ politician. Among the many variations of shagging-sheep jokes, wearing gloves to do so (velcro ones, please don’t tell me his middle name can be linked to velcro) is a particular favourite.

13. blameme says:

CM, I can’t trust anything you type because you spell with an extra vowel.

Labour party, favourite etc..

Same for you Kim.

I grew up in Alabama – the Heart of Dixie where vowels are scarce like our teeth. Every single vowel is cherished and only used in dire situations.

Commies and their vowels. They always give themselves away with grammar.

And yet we are known and ridiculed for mangling or dropping our vowels when we speak here (e.g. ‘Brit’ instead of ‘Bret’ in Flight of the Conchords) so we have that somewhat in common. Although I’ve spent time in Alabama (a good friend lives in Huntsville so I’ve called in to see him a few times), and I often have to repeat myself and talk slowly to be understood.

Leave my grammar out of it, she’s done nothing.

You Australians…

16. blameme says:

Huntsville. Been there many times. One time I was there I had a cold shiver run down my spine as if a commie were nearby.

It all makes sense now. :)

The LP party has been around for decades, and after being an LP party member for a while myself, I’m convinced a lot of them would prefer to sit on the sidelines talking about how great it would be if they were in charge without making any sort of effort to actually be in change. As far as the GOP, fiscal conservatism has been a dirty word for decades. So no, Paul is not perfect, far from it. He’s not the Messiah, he’s not the end all solution. He’s a start in the reversal of big government bullshit in this country. Even so, I see him mocked even here, and anyone who supports him must be nuts apparently, but the true definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. So we’ll sit back, and watch Romney and Obama go at it, and then bitch about either one depending on who wins. Why, because they’re the same set of shitbags we keep electing time after time. So I ask why does anyone here even waste their time bitching about how fucked up government is? We keep voting them in. There is a solution this time. Not the perfect solution, a different one. If you all are looking for perfection, let alone just someone who stands by their ideas then good luck. You’ll fine that right next to the unicorn and the midget guarding his pot of gold.

18. blameme says:

Who said anything about perfection? I don’t need a perfect candidate. I do need one that is not tied to racist rants under HIS OWN NEWSLETTER.

I need one that is not for open borders etc.

I am as fed up with you regarding the status quo. I also understand a phrase that goes like this, “Out of the frying pan and into the fire.” Electing a dude tied to racism and all the other batshit crazy stuff from Paul would end the libertarian movement.

There has to be HAS TO BE a true libertarian or at least a conservative that does not have his baggage.

Piss on me all you want for not putting my vote with him, but just because he is right on fiscal policy doesn’t mean he is fit to lead our nation.

I would LOVE (and I think many democrats would join us just like under Reagan) if we had someone that has legitimate thoughts on the role of government, borders, national security etc. Elect Paul and slide into oblivion. Find a VIABLE (i.e. not tied to racist rants, etc) candidate, then I will vote for them.

Don’t blame me for the status quo, blame the parties (libertarian included) that can’t find a viable candidate. I go to the local conservative events etc. I support libertarians locally. But on a national level, the conservative movement needs someone who is strong not only on fiscal issues, but race issues, borders etc.

So, not looking for unicorns or pots of gold. Looking for a LEADER. Paul, in my opinion is not one. Being different is not necessarily being better. Putting your vote for someone who is different, just because they are different and you hate the standards we have right now, it sounds a lot to me like fools gold. Enjoy the irrelevance. You and I know that with his skill set and baggage, he would set conservatism back even further than the Bushes. The LAST thing we need to do is elect a fruitcake to represent the conservative movement.

Hal -

My read was from 538, which indicated that turnout was down based on the polling data. Are there actual hard counts that contradict Silver’s analysis?

Blameme, not to worry:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

21. Miguelito says:

How about a Romney-Paul ticket?

I don’t know.. as rabid as some Paul supporters are, I’d almost think Romney would avoid that for fear that one of the nut bags would take him out just to get Paul in the seat.

It’s like the jokes comedians like Chris Rock even said about having a black vice president (this was before Obama, obviously) and how whoever took out the President in such a situation would be treated like a god in jail, so what was the downside. Not that I’m saying the same would happen in this case.

The Paul supporters are serious though. For months there have even been Paul signs hanging from freeway overpasses and stuff all over town. No other candidate even has any basic signs anywhere. I’ve seen some Paul supporters with signs on their car or in their yard basically year round now for several years. Ever see any other candidate with that kind of support?

Edit: I should know.. I like Paul in a lot of ways, but he’s just bat-shit crazy in others. His foreign policy is so far beyond head buried in the sand it would place the country in pretty serious danger.

Ah, found the numbers. Turnout was a record, but mainly thanks to independents. Republican turnout was down 16%.

23. Xetrov says:

I’d love to vote for Paul…Paul Ryan.

24. blameme says:

Thanks Rich. I now know what I must do.

25. West Virginia Rebel says:

Romney is an establishment Republican, the kind that the GOP bigwigs like. I think South Carolina will be the last hurrah for Perry and certainly Huntsman. Santorum could come in a strong second.

Gingrich’s attacks over the Bain business seem to be backfiring. They’re both multimillionaires with some questionable friends. This is him getting desperate IMO.
    West Virginia Rebel recently posted..Vanishing ActMy Profile